The Student Room Group

Does it matter which university you go to ?

I applied for bath and Bristol , but i did not get a place.
my last choices are Sussex and UWE ( a rubbish uni).

If i work hard and get a Master degree in Meng. is it still just as good as a student with Mater degree from a better university?
Reply 1
OF course it's not as good otherwise entry requirements wouldn't exist, but what you really need to focus on is, what are the differences between someone with a degree from Cambridge, and Anglia Ruskin?
Reply 2
TomLeigh

Wow, I have a friend called Tom Leigh.

No relevance to the Op's question but mad as ******* :woo:
A masters degree is a masters degree. The university you got it from doesn't alter its value as much as some people would have you think. The most important thing is to pick a university you'll enjoy studying at and, if you can, also pick the one which has the most appealing course.

Three recent threads on the topic:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=990591

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=992374

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=997883
Reply 4
RadioElectric
A masters degree is a masters degree. The university you got it from doesn't alter its value as much as some people would have you think. The most important thing is to pick a university you'll enjoy studying at and, if you can, also pick the one which has the most appealing course.

Three recent threads on the topic:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=990591

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=992374

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=997883

work hard and get a first, if you have a first, the university doesn't matter too much, its still damn impressive wherever you did it!
Reply 6
didgeridoo12uk
work hard and get a first, if you have a first, the university doesn't matter too much, its still damn impressive wherever you did it!

Now i;m really convinced. Thanks didgeridoo12uk.
I had some work experience at a firm in the summer and speaking to a director he said he only looks at Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Bristol Warwick and the like, but then this firm has healthy selection of the above to choose from which I presume is unusual.
Reply 8
simple answer yes ... sussex is alright (not great for engineering, good overall) but it will still be better than UWE...
Reply 9
gummers
Wow, I have a friend called Tom Leigh.

No relevance to the Op's question but mad as ******* :woo:

The photoshoot that your sig pic comes from is interesting to say the least. Evanna Lynch was 17 when she did those pictures (which includes full frontal nudity).

Fortunately for you she is called Dacha and she was a little older. :cool:
Reply 10
bluenoxid
The photoshoot that your sig pic comes from is interesting to say the least. Evanna Lynch was 17 when she did those pictures (which includes full frontal nudity).

Fortunately for you she is called Dacha and she was a little older. :cool:

I thought it was just a Evanna Lynch look alike?

I thought it was her at first until I seen the rest of the photoshoot.

And what?? You actually know the name of the girl in my sig? :woo:
link to photo shoot?
Not if I want to be banned :biggrin:

It is a look a like.
Hi I am a student that thought I was an all round A* student....still did well, but not as well as that (at GCSE) not I am doing A-Levels and have begun to work much harder because, for want of a better word, I was totally up myself...I think you too have this problem...if you weren't accepted into the best universities, it was probably because you weren't good enough...so stop going on about the 'rubbish' universities you go to, get off your high horse because some people...infact for a lot of the population, going to a place like either of the two you were accepted to would be a real achievement, infact for some people, they will never achieve that....next on to the masters, maybe you're good enough, maybe I'm talking complete and utter crap and you are good enough...maybe you're not...but hey, why not just enjoy life now, enjoy your degree and maybe do a masters if you're good enough at the end, maybe not...and if you're not, does it really matter? you may find that life will be more enjoyable if you actually experience it rather than constantly looking to the future, just have fun!!
sorry if this seems like a lecture, but learn from the twits like me!!:smile:
No, it doesn't matter at all. Engineering is a fundamentally practical discipline and employers are only interested in what you can do, how well you did it and your potential. University engineering is totally different from real world engineering and the reality is that someone with some real world engineering experience or some good engineering extra curriculars such as Formula Student is going to be the most valued by employers.
Sussex is 1000 times better than UWE.Have you seen the campus..its very very good!location is much much better,you can never go wrong with brighton!!!!It has a better international reputation.GO SUSSEX!

EDIT: UWE is 62 in the gurdian university guide...sussex is 15!!Not that i trust these tables but thats a huge difference.
UWE is 68 in the complete university guide...suusex is 19th!!
(edited 13 years ago)
The differences between the specialities of Engineering make more of a difference than the university. After a few years people will tend to judge you on your work and references anyway (because you can have a great degree from the “right” university but still be a rubbish engineer in the real world). You can’t over value practical experience and developing a pragmatic approach to solving problems.

I think the world is changing as well, it used to be a good degree and you had some security but that’s not as true anymore. Employers aren’t valuing staff much these days so always be on the lookout for good business opportunities and ways to make a quick million. You don’t want to still be working for someone else at 40 or 50 unless they are going to hand you a blank check and ask how many months you want off work this year :wink:.
Original post by lamoure123
I applied for bath and Bristol , but i did not get a place.
my last choices are Sussex and UWE ( a rubbish uni).

If i work hard and get a Master degree in Meng. is it still just as good as a student with Mater degree from a better university?

If it's accredited I don't think it will make too much difference tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest