The Student Room Group

Pharmacy vs Pharmacology

Hey I'm currently sorting out choices for UCAS 2010 and will be sending it off by next year. I found two pharmacy-related courses I'm interested in, one is a 4 year MPharm in Pharmacy, and the other is just a 3 years BSc in Pharmacology. What is the different between these two degrees (apart from the time and degree type)? Is Pharmacy more centered on community pharmacies and interacting with the public while pharmacology is more the research and science behind it? Can you still go into community with pharmacology?
There is a long thread based on this topic already within this subforum, but basically

Pharmacy = MPharm = degree you have to do to be a practising pharmacist in the UK. Includes A LOT of science around drug mechanisms and illnesses and how to treat them, as well as clinical skills such as counselling and advice for patients

Pharmacology = not pharmacy = degree centred around drug mechanisms and interactions = a small part of the pharmacy degree, leading to jobs in labs mainly doing various things.

Im studying the MPharm - its extremely difficult but will be worth it in the end
Reply 2
Danielle89
There is a long thread based on this topic already within this subforum, but basically

Pharmacy = MPharm = degree you have to do to be a practising pharmacist in the UK. Includes A LOT of science around drug mechanisms and illnesses and how to treat them, as well as clinical skills such as counselling and advice for patients

Pharmacology = not pharmacy = degree centred around drug mechanisms and interactions = a small part of the pharmacy degree, leading to jobs in labs mainly doing various things.

Im studying the MPharm - its extremely difficult but will be worth it in the end

how comes your looking forward to it? im not trying to be rude, im just asking :smile:

i think im going to apply for pharmacy this year :p:
gradu
how comes your looking forward to it? im not trying to be rude, im just asking :smile:

:confused:
gradu

Looking forward to qualifying? Because I've had some experience in a community pharmacy and really enjoyed it and the pay's not bad either.
Reply 5
Danielle89
Looking forward to qualifying? Because I've had some experience in a community pharmacy and really enjoyed it and the pay's not bad either.

sorry to be so intrusive hear, but do you plan to be a locum later on? i thought the pay in pharmacy was 30K? :confused:

sorry again:o:
gradu
sorry to be so intrusive hear, but do you plan to be a locum later on? i thought the pay in pharmacy was 30K? :confused:

sorry again:o:

Nae bother.

I only know the Boots pay rate, but for them you start at £18K for pre-reg, then that doubles to £36K when you qualify. If you decide to go into management then you add another £10K or so depending on the size of the store, and bonuses are good as well.

I see even £30K as a good wage, considering my family lived on <£15K for a good few years.

May go into locumming eventually, but that would probably be more likely later in life when Im confident being a pharmacist.
Reply 7
What is the difference between Pharmacy & Pharmacology?

Latest