The Student Room Group

Is there a difference in courses offered in computer science at each uni?

would there be a difference in the module options you could take each year for different unis.. i am going to portsmouth and they are offering the following options but when i looked at the options which were given by queen mary it was completely different... i want to be a programmer.. could i still do it at this uni?

First year

A number of general topics are covered in the first year to give you a base for development in subsequent years.

Second year
Your core study will include:

* Software engineering
* Programming
* Operating systems
* Databases
* Professional development

Final year

In your final year you will study the core elements of:

* Wireless networks
* Theoretical computer science
* Open distributed systems

You will also complete an extensive project as well as study a varied range of optional units.

and the final year only seems to offer 3 options?.. which does not incluse programming or anything really i am interested in ?... other unis seem to hve a range of options for the final year.... or is it that u could do them here aswell?
yes, different unis offer different modules. I should think that if you are doing CS you should be learning a bit of programming, probably something like c# or c++, so yes you should be able to become a software programmer.

Also, the modules you have listed are core modules. These are the ones you have to study, not the ones you get to choose. So presumably there will be others to choose from. The reason there are less in your final year is because you generally have to do some kind of project which is worth something like 3 modules, so there is less room for other subjects.
Reply 2
ok thanx.. but does any one know if portsmouth is any gud for computer science?
Reply 3
Well, it all depends on what grades you've got at A-level. You said you're already going to Portsmouth so unless you want to take a gap year and reapply you haven't go tmuch room for maneuver. If you have a relatively high grade in A-level maths eg A or B you can apply to unis like Southampton which are arguably better for Compsci than Portsmouth whilst being in similar area of the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending