The Student Room Group

Law or History?

Ok, here are the facts:

I want to apply to Cambridge, to study either law or history (the choice is genuinely equal, since I can do two years of each anyway)
Given the above, the only point for debate is which subject should I apply for, on the basis of (obviously) wanting to create as strong an application profile as possible?

So the question is, with regards to the below information, does the application for Law or History look stronger?

My academic profile is:

GCSEs: 10 A*s 2 A's (drama and maths)

AS level: AAAB at:

89% UMS for Philosphy
92% UMS for English
100% UMS for History
79.6666667% for Chemistry (so basically 1 mark off an A)

I also came second in a history prize run by a Cambridge college.

I have been on 3 law work experience placements (2 solicitors firms and a barristers chambers), and various law conferences, including the Sutton Trust Summer School for Law.

I should point out that the main thing that's worrying me re. law is that the B will be more relevant for a law application, given that all Cambridge Colleges say something along the lines of 'We accept students with scientific, artistic, and mixed profiles', for which I've been reading 'we don't really care what you do but we want you to be bloody good at it', whereas for a history app Chemistry should be less relevant.

Phew, sorry for the long post, but advice would be welcome; even though I know you can't say for certain, a dash of opinon always spices things up.......
Reply 1
With those grades, the choice is really yours. Just choose the one you think you'd enjoy more. You really seem to have a flair for history, why not go with that?
Reply 2
thanks
Reply 3
are you applying for 2011 entry. Do you go to private school or something or a normal state school.
i think you may be best going with history seeming as you got 100 UMS - well done.....if you knew that you wanted to read Law for sure then you would have no doubts....i think your confusion over Law signifies this...anyways good luck with whatever you do.
BTW what other uni's are you applying for...

Latest

Trending

Trending