The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dado Prso
i know one guy who got unconditional offers from aberdeen and edinburgh and he only got AABB.

Was he doing Advanced Highers? Some universities expect further study, even if they don't demand specific grades from them (i.e. set a conditional).
Reply 41
Lachlan
And I know someone who got AAAAC and only ended up with an offer from Aberdeen on March 31st.

don't suppose that C was in english?

some universities so strange with their offers/rejections.
Reply 42
Lachlan

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Why you decline your unconditionals?!?!?!? Not even a reserve?!
If you don't get in are you reapplying next year? For Oxford?

Sorry for all the questions, you don't have to answer. I'm just gobsmacked :p:
Reply 43
TheUnbeliever
Was he doing Advanced Highers? Some universities expect further study, even if they don't demand specific grades from them (i.e. set a conditional).

he was doing AH english and history so he was yeah.
Reply 44
Dado Prso
don't suppose that C was in english?

some universities so strange with their offers/rejections.

Maths, she got (I think):

English - A
French - A
Biology - A
History - A
Maths - C
Reply 45
xo-Heva
Why you decline your unconditionals?!?!?!? Not even a reserve?!
If you don't get in are you reapplying next year? For Oxford?

Sorry for all the questions, you don't have to answer. I'm just gobsmacked :p:

I might reapply to Oxbridge, if I am in the country at the time of interviews. Otherwise, I am fairly sure that with AAAAB at Higher and AAA at Adv. I will manage to find a place somewhere next year :p:

I declined two of the offers because I selected a firm and an insurance, I then declined LSE primarily for financial reasons and because I declined LSE despite meeting the offer Edinburgh declined me.

Morality of the story?

"Procrastination is like masturbation, your only ******* yourself" - As applicable to me as it is to Hamlet.
Reply 46
Lachlan
Maths, she got (I think):

English - A
French - A
Biology - A
History - A
Maths - C

strange. can only assume universities read too much into personal statements.
Dado Prso

Here's hoping! :dancing:
ArcadiaHouse
Here's hoping! :dancing:

I'm hoping the opposite. :o:
Reply 49
Dado Prso

Truer words were never spoken.
Reply 50
namedeprived
I'm hoping the opposite. :o:

same here. will probably end up putting mines off to the night before and writing some piece of crap.
Reply 51
A.R.E
Hello,

I'm currently 16 years old and I will be entering Senior 5 to begin my higher course next year (in 4 days).

I wish to study Law at one of the Universities mentioned in the title, whichever I can get in to.

My Standard Grade results were:

English - 1
French - 1
Maths - 1
Geography - 1
Biology - 1
Chemistry - 2
Physics - 2

So 1,1,1,1,1,2,2.

Now, lets say I get AAAAB OR AAAAA in above subjects except chem and physics which i'm not taking.

Is it likely i'd get in?

Also, with my SG grades is it likely i'd get a conditional offer for higher?

To sum up, I don't wish to do Advanced Highers, or wait an extra year, I will be 17 next summer, so I wish to go to Uni at the age of 17.

Thanks.

I just finished 5th year there nd one of the guys in my year got similar results at SG and got a conditional of 4A's nd a B to get into glasgow. not sure if he met the condition but im pretty sure they would offer you a condition cause the subjects you have chosen are varied, and i think when applying for law they prefer that :biggrin:
Reply 52
Mikey2110
I just finished 5th year there nd one of the guys in my year got similar results at SG and got a conditional of 4A's nd a B to get into glasgow. not sure if he met the condition but im pretty sure they would offer you a condition cause the subjects you have chosen are varied, and i think when applying for law they prefer that :biggrin:

Thanks for the assurance.
Reply 53
Ape Gone Insane
Of course depending on how well you do.

For Dundee you need either AABB or ABBBB.

Edinburgh which is the most prestigious requires BBBB. The rest will likely be the same.

The 2 best Law universities are Dundee and Aberdeen. The most respected is Edinburgh. Glasgow, I've heard, isn't so good.

And you need at least a B in English

You've heard wrong then. For law, don't believe the league tables (the five main Scottish ones were in the top 16 anyway) as the evidence going about suggests its got very little to do with the law school itself, as firms tend to have a correlation towards graduates of the universities the partners attended- i.e. Edinburgh grads statistically favour Edinburgh graduates. Glasgow and Edinburgh make up 60% of partners of law firms in Scotland between them, so you'd arguably be best served attending one of those two. Glasgow's main criticism in the last few years hasn't been the quality of the department, but the poor course organisation resulting in lower than average student satisfaction scores- It doesn't mean the department isn't respected though.

In addition- the rest are not the same in Edinburgh in requiring BBBB. Strathclyde and Glasgow ask for AAAAB or thereabouts (as did Edinburgh until recently). That said, Edinburgh's entry policy has always put weight on things besides your grades, I know several rejects of Glasgow at Edinburgh (including one with AABB at Ed and one with AAAAB at Gla) and vice versa.

Latest

Trending

Trending