The Student Room Group

How many books does everyone use for math/further maths

I made this thread up because i know im not the only one.

Atm when im working through all the chapters in the different modules, i usually take up 1 or maybe even 2 exercise books jus for a chapter. This leaves me with like 15 exercise books for C2 and about 12 for C3.

Maybe about 3 exercise books for D1....

If this continues i will have heaps of exercise books to revise from...

Anyone like me?

Scroll to see replies

Not quite that many but for the 13 modules I've done I've counted up 48 exercise books floating around....about 3 or 4 per module. Looks like loads! Don't know what I'll do with them now though. x
Reply 2
i use A4 squared paper, and ive had one of those big capacity folders for p1 and p2 and its squashed full of different questions. I dont really revise for maths, jus do more an more questions. I have to revise for physics and chemistry tho
Reply 3
just the ones that the school provides us with, though i have used many uni ones and other pure maths books specifically for P6 matrices, proof and vectors, because the course book is pretty crap in some of these areas...esp transformations with matrices - aghh...used some uni book to learn that, lol

P
I have 2 lever arch files full of exercises from M1, M2 and M3.
Reply 5
I havn't used books since GCSE- C3,C4,S1 without any notes at all.
Had to take some notes on lined paper in C1,C2,M1 lessons though :frown:
I'd advise learning without notes for maths- it can be slow at first if you're not used to it, but it's really efficient, especially if you're teaching yourself.
:stupido:
Reply 6
I sometimes use book: Revise for C1, Revise for M1, Revise for S1 and Revise for S2.

I dont have have revise for C2 since it was released like 2 weeks ago.

These are the ones I am talking about:
http://www.heinemann.co.uk/secondary/series.aspx?d=v&n=&s=&skey=66
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0435511130/mathsnet07/026-7603322-8469216

I brought them from school £2 each.
Reply 7
i normally do questions on paper, and throw it away after, i must have gone through at least 2/3 a4 pads....
Reply 8
Widowmaker
I have 2 lever arch files full of exercises from M1, M2 and M3.

no wonder you are so good at mechanics - i've only done 1/2 a normal files worth, and most of it this week:smile:
Reply 9
I use A4 lined paper and have 2 stacks 60cm high of Biology/Maths/FM questions/rewritten notes. I'd have more but I threw my M2/M3/D1 revision after my January exams to make space.

As for textbooks, I have 12 of the heinemann ones (obviously for each module) and a few of the bostok/chandler textbooks that i've borrowed.
LOL.... A-level students getting exercise books from the school? Awwwwwwww!

My maths module folders are pretty chunky though.

We have about 6 textbooks though... C1/C2 (hopefully that'll be collected in after the exams), C3/C4, S1, M1, "A Concise Course in A-level Statistics" and "Understanding Mechanics" (the latter two we just get set questions from because our teacher can't stand the Heinemann books).
thefish_uk
LOL.... A-level students getting exercise books from the school? Awwwwwwww!

My maths module folders are pretty chunky though.

We have about 6 textbooks though... C1/C2 (hopefully that'll be collected in after the exams), C3/C4, S1, M1, "A Concise Course in A-level Statistics" and "Understanding Mechanics" (the latter two we just get set questions from because our teacher can't stand the Heinemann books).

Teehee bless us and our red exercise books! I think they're great :biggrin: x
Reply 12
lol....I got green exercise books but did have orange squared ones...I still miss then though...
i've used 3 for each of the maths modules (AS only)

so, C1, C2, M1 == 9 books
Reply 14
I'm so jealous - our maths department 'can't afford' (yeah right :rolleyes: ) to give sixth formers pretty exercise books so we have to use lined paper. I've used a lever arch file worth for 5 modules, so between us (five y12 groups) we must have consumed a small forest!

Just think of all the poor trees... where will the monkeys live now?
Madprof
I'm so jealous - our maths department 'can't afford' (yeah right :rolleyes: ) to give sixth formers pretty exercise books so we have to use lined paper. I've used a lever arch file worth for 5 modules, so between us (five y12 groups) we must have consumed a small forest!

Just think of all the poor trees... where will the monkeys live now?

:rolleyes:

:eek: 5 maths groups?! Wow! our school only has 2 sets (AS), the smart people and the not so smart :frown:
Reply 16
saiyamana
:rolleyes:

:eek: 5 maths groups?! Wow! our school only has 2 sets (AS), the smart people and the not so smart :frown:

Our sixth form has:
5 doing A2 maths.
6 doing AS maths.
2 doing A2 further maths.
0 doing AS further maths.
Needless to say, with an average points score of 119, our sixth form services an area where academia and intelligence isn't seen to be too important :rolleyes:
There are only 4 people in my a2 maths set (all girls! GIRLPOWER!),sayin gthat there is only me and my girlymate in physics lol. when it was AS maths there were 7(3boys as well) 1 dropped out after a week, another got kicked out after a couple of months and the other failed AS n left!

As for the book thing, i use about 5 excersie books (at least) per module p2 took about 10! Makes it almost impossible to find what oyu need to revise so i just do laods of past papers and look in the textbook and hope it comes back from all the questions I did to fill those books
Gaz031
Our sixth form has:
5 doing A2 maths.
6 doing AS maths.
2 doing A2 further maths.
0 doing AS further maths.
Needless to say, with an average points score of 119, our sixth form services an area where academia and intelligence isn't seen to be too important :rolleyes:

i'm sure people like you improve their scores a bit though!
Reply 19
Widowmaker
i'm sure people like you improve their scores a bit though!

Hopefully but assuming i get 400-450 'points', they will probably improve our average points score by a hardly significant value of around 3-4. I think there are 2 or possibly 3 of us who may get at least one A.
I can't wait to go to university so I hope I do get the results I need, I feel suffocated at home!

Latest