The Student Room Group
Rohit93
Hey guyz, im about to start my A levels this year, I have chosen, Maths, F maths, chemistry and biology. Is it possible for me to take medicine with these subjects or do i need to drop F Maths and take physics?

Medicine doesn't require all 3 sciences..I'm pretty sure. Chemistry and Biology would be enough sciences..

PS. There's no need to drop F Maths..just make sure you're doing the subjects you will get A's in.
Reply 2
Further Maths won't count for most places though, you'd be advised to take something else to AS level at least.
Reply 3
I chose almost those subjects in my AS year (if you swap Biology for Physics), so it's certainly possible.

However, as Renal pointed out Further Maths doesn't count as an A Level for a lot of medical schools (there are some exceptions, such as Oxford). So in your A2 year you would have to bear in mind that you would be limited as to what you could drop.
Renal
Further Maths won't count for most places though, you'd be advised to take something else to AS level at least.

:rolleyes:
my mate wont listen when I tell him, they dont like stuff that overlaps
Reply 5
My first choices for A levels were the same but physics not bio. When I decided medicine is what i want to do (about a month after we submitted our choices) I'm swapping.

Hopefully, I'll be starting in september doing Chem, Bio, Psychology and Physics. I wouldn't do further maths, most places don't accept it because you're already doing maths; its like doing biology and sports science or pe is a no-no according to what i've read. :o:
Reply 6
clad in armour
:rolleyes:
my mate wont listen when I tell him, they dont like stuff that overlaps
I'm not sure it's the overlap, I think it's more that it's not rigorous enough to count as a proper A-Level in itself - like general studies.
Renal
I'm not sure it's the overlap, I think it's more that it's not rigorous enough to count as a proper A-Level in itself - like general studies.

are you sure, because when I think of rigourous, I think of doing 12 exams instead of six in 2 years = FM
simples
Reply 8
Renal

No, it is to do with the similarity in content as opposed to the actual level of the subject. There's a couple of other combinations like it, for example Biology and P.E.
I took Bio & PE and I think only a few places took issue with it (Soton & Oxbridge being the only ones I recall by name). Whilst I was taking 4 A2's, I used Bio & PE for my offer because they were both A's and my other subjects were B's.

But Further Maths is just more Maths. Take it to AS if you want, but there are plenty of places that will ignore it.
Reply 10
Ah, I see, thank you for the help folks =]
Reply 11
Rohit93
Hey guyz, im about to start my A levels this year, I have chosen, Maths, F maths, chemistry and biology. Is it possible for me to take medicine with these subjects or do i need to drop F Maths and take physics?

Drop F.Maths. Save yourself the hassle. :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending