The Student Room Group

Mature students and finance

I've been lurking in the student finance forum and I have come to a conclusion and I would like anyone to tell me if I am on the right track or not..

1. It appears to me that mature students are given full grant and loan automatically.

2. Mature students don't need to put in sponsor details.

3. All mature students need to do is send ID evidence at the start.

3. Mature students get faster processing than the rest, maybe because of the above points making the decision process easy.

I hope I am right because I sent my application on 5 August:eek: :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most of your points refer to, I think, single people over 25 who are then automatically classed as independent students.

Mature students can be 19+ though, so between 19 to 25 I'm not sure if those points apply as they might not be considered independent depending on certain factors.

Those who are under 25 have where they live - ie. with parents etc - taken into account. And those who regardless of age, those who are married or what not, have their partners situations taken into account... I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also for the full amount I think you still have to have your household income assessed which could drop the amount you recieve. But I could also be talking nonsense.

You could try the Student Finance Calculator to see what you should get;

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/calculator/studentfinancecalculator/

Mostly though it seems to be that you are wondering whether you'll get processed on time. I'm not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to the way they do things to be able to answer that.
Reply 2
Nope - full amount is not automatic for a mature student. You're still income assessed the same as everyone else.
Reply 3
pyrogena
Nope - full amount is not automatic for a mature student. You're still income assessed the same as everyone else.

Much more concisely put :lol:
Reply 4
pyrogena

This, the only difference I believe is that you don't need to prove you are independant of your parent's income if you're over 25..
Reply 5
Heaven-Ly
I've been lurking in the student finance forum and I have come to a conclusion and I would like anyone to tell me if I am on the right track or not..

1. It appears to me that mature students are given full grant and loan automatically.

2. Mature students don't need to put in sponsor details.

3. All mature students need to do is send ID evidence at the start.

3. Mature students get faster processing than the rest, maybe because of the above points making the decision process easy.

I hope I am right because I sent my application on 5 August:eek: :eek:

My wife and I are mature students, both over age 25. We get full grant and loan only because of our income, not automatic. If we had just a bit higher income we'd have less grant and loan each.

We are sponsor for each other. I have to supply my details on her application, with evidence. Her has to do the same for me.
ID was good, had to send birth certificate and marriage certificate.

Not faster processing, we are still waiting for this year's to be sorted out. The same shambles that affects everyone who hasn't had application finished yet.

Good luck with your finance application. Last I heard they were 8 weeks behind!
Possible they'll get some money to you soon after the course starts while sorting out anything else thats owed after.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the contributions. As I said, I was not too sure about this.

I am single, over 25 and have low income so your contributions have helped me see where I stand.
Reply 7
In addition to ID, if you're not a UK citizen then you have to show proof of settle status such as an Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office.
Reply 8
Surely everyone knows the immigration requirements. Thanks for pointing it out in case some do not. I am ok.
Reply 9
Funnily enough had a guy from my previous college that nearly got caught out on that very thing. The various different immigration requirements are not necessarily that straight forward for everyone.

I only mentioned it because you said;

"3. All mature students need to do is send ID evidence at the start." But of course if the mature student in question is not a citizen then they'd also need to send evidence of settled status in addition to ID evidence.

I'm still waiting for my confirmation. Quite annoying really because a lot of my friends have theirs already. I sent mine out early May. Hopefully they'll get to us soon though.
Reply 10
mine went off late ish (mid june), so not surprised i havnt heard yet. wish they would at least aprove the childcare etc so i can get sorted out properly!! i think that a specisic dept for the childcare would be a plan as without that i cant start course but can probly manage without loans grants etc for a while.
Reply 11
May be worth logging into their system through the direct.gov.uk site and checking the correspondence page, see what was sent.
My better half had been sent a letter at the end of July to sign and send back (assessed) but we didn't get it. Rang up over a week ago for a replacement which arrived this afternoon.
They have some big backlogs.
Reply 12
I applied for non-income assessed 2 months ago and still haven't heard yet :frown:
Reply 13
jk1986
This, the only difference I believe is that you don't need to prove you are independant of your parent's income if you're over 25..

This is true.
Reply 14
I'm 26 and didn't have to send anything in and am eligible for full grant and loan.
Reply 15
Immz
I'm 26 and didn't have to send anything in and am eligible for full grant and loan.

Exactly the same for me (at 25), no ID, no proof of earnings, no anything. The process seems to become more complex when the student is not single, as they therefore have access to their partners income (at least in the eyes of the student loans company!) so the assessment takes this into account.
Reply 16
(3) is incorrect.

I applied in April and they're still sorting it all out.
Reply 17
Is it too late to apply for this year?
Reply 18
falcieri
Is it too late to apply for this year?

No, it's not too late to apply, but, there is a backlog holding things up, so, you may get your funding at some point, but it won't be before term starts.
erm, i'm single andit hasn't asked me to send anything in. no evidence, nothing. i'm hoping this is correct? (over 25). also, if we don't get our loans in time and we really do start to get low on funds, conceivably would student hardship step in if all else fails for people?

Latest

Trending

Trending