The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham stereotypes

To what extent do Durham students live up to their stereotype?

In my mind, the stereotypical Durham student is someone who was convinced they were good enough for Oxbridge but had to settle for Durham. Someone who is upper middle class, smug and obnoxious.

I realise this won't be true for each and every Durham student. I also realise this kind of student will be found at most top universities, but does Durham particularly attract them in comparison to say UCL, Kings or St. Andrews?

Scroll to see replies

JW92

In my mind, the stereotypical Durham student is someone who was convinced they were good enough for Oxbridge but had to settle for Durham. Someone who is upper middle class, smug and obnoxious.

I realise this won't be true for each and every Durham student. I also realise this kind of student will be found at most top universities, but does Durham particularly attract them in comparison to say UCL, Kings or St. Andrews?

It has the stereotype, people's responses will vary based on their experiences. The stereotype seems to be that most of them go to Hatfield or Castle.

It's over-exagerrated, just like how students don't get shot on a daily basis in Nottingham, and how not everyone at Oxford is from a public school. St. Andrews will have their fair share too (I mean, they had a royal).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
TBH, there are are about twenty universities you could end up at that will have a decent hand of Oxford and Cambridge rejections. Rahs are a ten a penny anyway - Newcastle for example seem to have a strong army of them and I went to a concert at Leeds Uni and the place was swarming with Rahs.
As a Durham local I think these stereotypes have some grain of truth. Whenever I went to Klute everyone looked like Jack Wills had thrown up on them and they seemed particularly far up themselves.
Reply 4
They are nowhere near as bad as they used to be though. I remember growing up, Durham students looked like real aliens. The majority at the moment do have a 'style' but on the whole, they are not as mental posh as they have been.
Communist Daughter
As a Durham local I think these stereotypes have some grain of truth. Whenever I went to Klute everyone looked like Jack Wills had thrown up on them and they seemed particularly far up themselves.

Klute's a rah magnet compared to most of the other clubs in Durham though. (and it's awful ew klute)

There are definitely rahs around Durham, but not really any more than lots of other unis, especially St Andrews. It's quite easy to ignore them anyway, although you shouldn't really write them all off as they're not all overprivileged smarmy cocks.
Reply 6
To me, Durham seemed less snobby than St Andrews. We have British AND American rahs :p:

However wherever you go you'll always find nice, down-to-earth people. I wouldn't be worried about it. :smile:
the stereotype is defo true at the college i go to. 50% of people are middle class stuck up snobs. the other half are very nice though
Reply 8
The 4 people I know going are 4 of the nicest people I've ever met, so no. I'm sure there are those types, but there were in Bristol and especially Notts, so I dunno why everyone singles Durham out.
generic hybrid
Klute's a rah magnet compared to most of the other clubs in Durham though. (and it's awful ew klute)

For some reason Cuth's love the place though.. not sure why
MyNameIsDave
For some reason Cuth's love the place though.. not sure why

I don't know why anyone would love Klute. It's godawful and the few times I've been drunk enough to go there I always end up with the Ghostbusters song stuck in my head for days after.
Reply 11
I expect it's because Klute can only be enjoyed when you are beyond hammered in most of the Cuths students I know seem to really take their consumption quite seriously! lol.
Reply 12
The way that I look at it is, you're just as good as them, as you've got into the uni without the help of parent's bank account :biggrin:
Reply 13
JW92

Now this is the veiw I have on York students, because the person who came to my school to discuss going to Durham was really ace (even though I was expecting an old, chemistry professor type guy with a beard :smile: ) and really enthusiastic, and I met another girl who's about to enter her third year and she was quite cool too so yer, never have this opinion of Durham people... maybe I'm niave :P
Reply 14
JW92

You're spot on mate!! I can say this as I've just completed my first year at Durham.

I'm a working class lad who managed to do well and get a place at Durham. There are some really down-to-earth but there are some proper ar*eholes here. I've got a thick cockney accent I remember during freshers week at a social at my college I said hello to someone just the break the ice and start conversation as you do during fresehers week. The person responded by saying ''hello'' in a disgusted manner, then looking at me as if I was something they'd just stepped in and literally turned his nose up at me. There are many people like this at Durham. Although I've enjoyed my first year here, the snobbery of some students is one thing about Durham that really p*sses me off.
Reply 15
Well I'm starting at Durham this year and I hope it's not full of snotty, snobby people! I actually preferred Durham to Oxbridge because Oxford seemed way too stuffy.

I think there is some truth in that stereotype though, because when I went for my open day pretty much EVERYONE I spoke to had been rejected from Oxbridge (like me! :biggrin: )
Reply 16
I think the most important thing is NOT to start out believing that because people dress or speak a certain way then they must be entitled trust-fund idiots. Yes, there are a few around, but there are also many perfectly normal and friendly people who may be different from the kind of people you were friends with at school. Besides, isn't it a little hypocritical to judge someone a 'rah' (I hate that word, but I'll use it for the purpose of being clear) from their appearance/accent while complaining that they're looking down on people because of the same things? Someone with a chip on their shoulder regarding 'rahs' is often just as bad as the 'rahs' themselves; it's annoying to have to listen to someone constantly complain about a group of people they've unfairly judged by the behaviour of a tiny minority.
Reply 17
Just adding in my two cents here:

To clarify; I'd probably be classed as a rah by the majority. I have a trust fund, I wear nice clothes and I have plenty of money. I also have a very upper-class accent, which I cannot get rid of.

Durham people are generally very nice, and I personally couldn't care less that you did/did not go to a public school. What I (and most people) do care about is what you say and do. You've truly got to expect variety at uni.

My closest friends at Durham are not rahs at all, and not a one of them attended public school, for example. Okay, in the first few days/week I made faux pas, assuming things I probably shouldn't have because of my upbringing. Then again, so did they regarding me. The key is to really keep an open mind and communicate. If they're being ignorant and rude; say so, and expect the same back. But nicely :tongue:

I'm at University college, one of the two bastions of the upper classes at Durham (supposedly) and truly, class and background doesn't come into it. However, there is a great deal of anti-rah feeling around the place - even now, people who are theoretically my friends will assume the worst of me because of my posh accent - even if I've bent over backwards to help them in the past.

So yes, there are rahs, and some are idiots who're blinded by privilege. Then again, there are some 'normal' people who're totally blinkered by an accent and nothing more. In summation: Durham people are mostly fabulous.
Reply 18
Marinuska
Just adding in my two cents here:

To clarify; I'd probably be classed as a rah by the majority. I have a trust fund, I wear nice clothes and I have plenty of money. I also have a very upper-class accent, which I cannot get rid of.

Durham people are generally very nice, and I personally couldn't care less that you did/did not go to a public school. What I (and most people) do care about is what you say and do. You've truly got to expect variety at uni.

My closest friends at Durham are not rahs at all, and not a one of them attended public school, for example. Okay, in the first few days/week I made faux pas, assuming things I probably shouldn't have because of my upbringing. Then again, so did they regarding me. The key is to really keep an open mind and communicate. If they're being ignorant and rude; say so, and expect the same back. But nicely :tongue:

I'm at University college, one of the two bastions of the upper classes at Durham (supposedly) and truly, class and background doesn't come into it. However, there is a great deal of anti-rah feeling around the place - even now, people who are theoretically my friends will assume the worst of me because of my posh accent - even if I've bent over backwards to help them in the past.

So yes, there are rahs, and some are idiots who're blinded by privilege. Then again, there are some 'normal' people who're totally blinkered by an accent and nothing more. In summation: Durham people are mostly fabulous.

Which is the other college, out of interest?
The Lad
You're spot on mate!! I can say this as I've just completed my first year at Durham.

I'm a working class lad who managed to do well and get a place at Durham. There are some really down-to-earth but there are some proper ar*eholes here. I've got a thick cockney accent I remember during freshers week at a social at my college I said hello to someone just the break the ice and start conversation as you do during fresehers week. The person responded by saying ''hello'' in a disgusted manner, then looking at me as if I was something they'd just stepped in and literally turned his nose up at me. There are many people like this at Durham. Although I've enjoyed my first year here, the snobbery of some students is one thing about Durham that really p*sses me off.

That's why I rejected Durham for York; I can't stand people like that - I'm sure there's far fewer of them in York.

Latest