The Student Room Group

First impressions of the textbooks

So how have your first impressions after buying the textbooks been? I was pretty much staring in shock at the maths book after realising it's only slightly smaller than the one we did over two years at Int 2. And then I flicked through it and saw further calculus...

The rest of the books seem pretty okay. Biology actually looks really interesting even though, once again, it's ******* huge! It just seems to be a way more in depth look at Int 2 which I'm really pleased about! Int 2 Biology rocked! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Enzo-259
So how have your first impressions after buying the textbooks been? I was pretty much staring in shock at the maths book after realising it's only slightly smaller than the one we did over two years at Int 2. And then I flicked through it and saw further calculus...

The rest of the books seem pretty okay. Biology actually looks really interesting even though, once again, it's ******* huge! It just seems to be a way more in depth look at Int 2 which I'm really pleased about! Int 2 Biology rocked! :biggrin:

The only difference is that we now get one book per unit at AH compared to one covering the whole course at Higher.:p:
Reply 2
The "Higher English Grade Booster" looks meh. I flicked through "How to Pass Higher Chemistry" and it looked horribly mathsy in some bits :s-smilie: Int 2 maths looks like a doddle as I've done the credit maths course, psychology looks quite interesting, as does Human Bio :woo:

The past papers, however...
LuhLah
The "Higher English Grade Booster" looks meh. I flicked through "How to Pass Higher Chemistry" and it looked horribly mathsy in some bits :s-smilie: Int 2 maths looks like a doddle as I've done the credit maths course, psychology looks quite interesting, as does Human Bio :woo:

Don't worry, it's not at all Mathsy. Just need to know a few equations and when to plug in the values to be honest. Once you've practiced them, the calculations are pretty easy to be honest, once you get the hang of ratios, and know what to use when, they're pretty simple.
Some of the colourfull books make me happy...

But then theres the higher maths, higher physics ones :s-smilie: which are so depressingly boring.

Although to be honest higher biology is way thicker than i expected, but its filled with pictures (albeit some are just squiggly lines) :biggrin:
Reply 5
LuhLah

What did you get for Credit? I just did Int 2 and, after looking at the SG paper, it actually seems easier! I'd say that it would make more sense to go for Higher as you'll just be bored all year.
Reply 6
shiiit duuudes, were in higher now :smile:

Hopefully last year for me...

Then freedom :smile:
Reply 7
A.R.E
shiiit duuudes, were in higher now :smile:

Hopefully last year for me...

Then freedom :smile:

My thoughts exactly!
Reply 8
Enzo-259
My thoughts exactly!

What subs are you doing? :smile:
Reply 9
I'm glad that Scholar splits the AH maths course into a book for each unit. Makes my bag wonderfully light...
Reply 10
A.R.E
What subs are you doing? :smile:

Maths, English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.

In other words, according to the 6th years and my brother, the worst subjects. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Enzo-259
What did you get for Credit? I just did Int 2 and, after looking at the SG paper, it actually seems easier! I'd say that it would make more sense to go for Higher as you'll just be bored all year.

I got a 3 lol, after failing a stupid end of topic test thing, they said I wasn't allowed to do credit :| Bastards. At least I learned how to spin a protractor on my pen for a whole 2 minutes :awesome:
Enzo-259
Maths, English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.

In other words, according to the 6th years and my brother, the worst subjects. :s-smilie:

Same! :woo:

Its going to be one year of hell :frown: I had originally planned to even it out by taking a 6th art, but my school was having none of that :eek3:
:O. Do you need to buy your own textbooks?
Reply 14
using scholar books for AH Chemistry + Physics which seem ok. brightred publishing seem to be producing AH Chem/Physics/Maths course books but keep changing the dates.

The heinemann higher maths text book really is good, you could probably find every exam question ever asked in there even if it is different numbers or something.

namedeprived
The only difference is that we now get one book per unit at AH compared to one covering the whole course at Higher.:p:

what books are you using for AH? my teacher said the textbooks which are available covered the course in far too much detail so instead we are doing it all through his notes and sheets of paper with questions on.
Dado Prso
using scholar books for AH Chemistry + Physics which seem ok. brightred publishing seem to be producing AH Chem/Physics/Maths course books but keep changing the dates.

The heinemann higher maths text book really is good, you could probably find every exam question ever asked in there even if it is different numbers or something.

what books are you using for AH? my teacher said the textbooks which are available covered the course in far too much detail so instead we are doing it all through his notes and sheets of paper with questions on.

For AH Maths we are using the Heinemann book (one per unit) and for Chemistry we are actually just using LT Scotland printed sheets but have been given a Scholar book for Unit 1, and a PPA/calculations book.

For French we're not using any. :p:
Reply 16
sweetdarling
:O. Do you need to buy your own textbooks?

Yes! And they're expensive!

So you get them for free? :eek:
Enzo-259
So you get them for free? :eek:

Someone's never gone to a state school. :p:
Oh, never realised you had to buy your own Enzo-259?!

Don't the school provide anything?
TheUnbeliever
Someone's never gone to a state school. :p:

I thought even state schools would give out textbooks (or at least some sort of revision notes) in general. Mine certainly does.

Latest

Trending

Trending