The Student Room Group

had my braces in and its killing me+ I'm fasting

Its bad enough that i can't chew with my back teeth, I know its normal for the gum to be swollen but is there anyway to supress it( paracetamol makes me drowsy). But the main problem is my lip, it has swollen up and when i break my fast i find it a bit difficult to chew, or even when I'm talking. Anyway to make it even slightly less painful?
Ibuprofen will help the inflammation/swelling go down a bit. How long ago did you get the braces? It usually takes a while for your mouth to get used to them, should be fine in a bit!
Reply 2
There's not a great deal you can do other than use paracetamol, I use Anadin extra. If it makes you drowsy, you could possibly use it a couple hours before you go to bed, maybe?
Reply 3
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I had it in one wednesday, and each day it does seem to be progressing much. The swelling in the gum has subsided noticably. That's a good idea to take it before bed, but i can only take it just before fasting coz i have to wake up really early and it will only therefore provide relief while i'm asleep.How much is anadin extra? Do i have to get it by prescription?
hot cups of tea. Gooorgeous and soothing. And try motuhwashes with anaesthetic qualities which numb the mouth, that worked well for m trying to get to sleep at night.

This thread of fellow bracey people might help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=986254
you can get Anadin extra from some were just like boots
Reply 7
bikipip
Soup and soft foods :smile: and painkillers. It will pass over the next few days, DW. This is the worst of it.

... until you start getting it tightened with those really thick wires :P
Reply 8
FXX
... until you start getting it tightened with those really thick wires :P

When will this be? I am using listerine, its bloody expensive though!
Reply 9
Anbesol and TCP liquid are good for swollen gums as they numb the pain.
Try chewing gum. They advised me not to do it with my brace, but it really helps with the pain.

Latest