The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
Communist Daughter
I am getting criminally bored this summer, and seeing all my friends sorting out all their uni stuff to start in September upsets me greatly.

Any particular reason York stars on such a ridiculous date?

Because it can? :p:

To be honest, I haven't a clue. But I share your horrid boredom. :frown:
University of York
York
Reply 2
When does it start?

It's the same for Warwick, the year starts on the 5th October and ends on the 3rd of July. That means I start and finish roughly a month later than my friends at other unis which is simply ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that a good part of summer (June) is spent indoors trying to revise for the exams.
rowzee
When does it start?

It's the same for Warwick, the year starts on the 5th October and ends on the 3rd of July. That means I start and finish roughly a month later than my friends at other unis which is simply ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that a good part of summer (June) is spent indoors trying to revise for the exams.

York starts 12th of October.
Reply 4
I can honestly say this summer hasnt been a patch on last summer, has it Kris? Last summer we were out every night, going to some random place or eating Ben and Jerrys at the duck pond.

They were the good old days :smile:
Reply 5
My best friend goes 3 weeks earlier and my boyfriend 2 weeks before :frown:

I'll be all alone
Reply 6
My best friend goes 3 weeks earlier and my boyfriend 2 weeks before :frown:

I'll be all alone
Reply 7
One word: Conferences. From mid-september onwards the university gets more or less fully booked by summer conferences. You get some sort-of big names, plus a load of small ones around. Church of England, Citizens' Advice Bureau, Samaritans are some of the biggest (CoE synod is in July though). The uni makes a very tidy sum, and they're not going to get in the way of that if they can help it. Plus, the long break makes for a convenient time to lauch medium-term construction projects (Bleachfields was one of these) and sort out asbestos removal.

Personally, I don't grudge the long break as it means I can make a lot of money working for the university over the summer, conferences here are big business. :wink:
I thought it was to do with the 10 week term system? If we started back earlier and kept the 10 week terms, it would mess up the timing of the Christmas and Easter holidays.
Reply 9
Because you touch yourself at night.
Reply 10
Cowtipper
Because you touch yourself at night.

This. A lot :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending