The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Also I do wish some people would think first before representing themselves on this forum as "serious".

If your looking for the reason why he was released, listen again to his speech. As I am from Scotland, freedom is definetly a defining factor here, and I like to know Scotland is no ones bitch (and don't say Westminster, since were ruled by them anyway.) and can make an unbaised decision based on "due process".

As for my opinion, I agree with the decision. He is going home to die. Supposedly he has some evidence to prove his innocence aparently. I would hate to see that a country like ours can honestly turn against its values and go against its own laws because of international pressure.

Nice to see Westminster made a their opinion clear too, oh wait, they didnt. Im not a nationalist by any means, but come on. Scotland just showed they can make a decision like THAT with clear reasons why they did, yet Westminster continues to plonder around showing that they are not as efficient as Holyrood. Also on that note, they didn't help at all with the decision when the Kenny tried to get more information on the case.

On America, a country that expresses so much freedom, that tortured many innocent people in Guantanamo, still carries the death penalty in Texas etc. and made a foolish decision to invade Iraq on false information (which Tony Blair decided to do also, just Bush tucked him into his bed.)

But of course Im not going to continue pointing the finger. Thats pety, all I can say if I was in Kenny's position, I would have made the same decision. Also, at least one country in the world loves us now. Unlike others. Nice to see so many bigots here.

To the families, I cannot comment on their behalf or understand their distress.

Also it was sad to see Billy Ray Cirus on TV saying what he said. Lost so much dignity. We should be pointing the finger at the people gave him the motives to do what he done, if he even done it.

Also as a final message, can you imagine the bad press etc if we let him die of cancer in our prisions? Imagine how much that would fury his country? Which may contain many other terrorists. Theres always going to be extremists and bigots sadly.

EDIT: WHAT IS WITH THE RACISM FROM THE ENGLISH AGAINST SCOTLAND? Its not funny, its not clever, its not going to buy you more TSR buddies, its just stupid and unless you rid yourself from it you stand in no position to make an opinion on this matter.
Reply 61
Billboy05
Hmm, someone has obviously just ignored the rest of this topic. Hypocrit much? lmao

Think before you speak. Your point is invalid.

My point is very valid, and your response had absolutely nothing to do with my post. What I said was quite clear: Your response to a small handfull of American's is to lable Americans "stupid", "Ignorant", and to generalize a few people's actions on the whole USA. As I said before, its funny that some 17 year old Europeans who can barely read get to look down and generalize on the whole American population. That, in itself, is ignorance. (With a touch of an inferiority complex in the mix).
Reply 62
Axes
My point is very valid, and your response had absolutely nothing to do with my post. What I said was quite clear: Your response to a small handfull of American's is to lable Americans "stupid", "Ignorant", and to generalize a few people's actions on the whole USA. As I said before, its funny that some 17 year old Europeans who can barely read get to look down and generalize on the whole American population. That, in itself, is ignorance. (With a touch of an inferiority complex in the mix).

im not agreeing or disagreeing with you but please stop using the term "europeans"
you can hardly group the whole of europe together.
Reply 63
stupid people. America has killed millions in the last few decades and even shot down a passenger plane itself and awarded the murderers with bravery medals lol!
Reply 64
A boycott is against a whole nation - Scotland (or even the UK as some advocate) for the actions of one minister is morally wrong.

However, I do understand that the majority of Scots (who believe the released individual to be guilty) were against it - it does seem to have been the wrong decision given the gravity of his crimes.
Reply 65
AntiMonarchist
Would you like it if a foreign government released the man who killed your loved ones?

Since when has Scotland or even the UK for that matter should be made answerable to the USA for it's actions?
I don't understand how this has anything to do with the United States of America. It is an internal affair for Scotland and Britain and no one else. Yes there was a few Americans that have died, none the less, it is an internal matter for Scotland.
If USA is so concerned about this, they should look at their own backyard before commenting on others.
I praise the Scottish stance against America over this decision.

By the way, personally I am in two mind in regards to the release.

A) If the according the courts' decision and the media Mr Megarahi being involved in Lockerbie bomb, is found true, then yes he should been left to rot in prison. Although I am aware the Mr Megrahi was going to appeal and there was doubts over this whole situation of the lockerbie bombing...

B) On the other hand, this decision could prevent future terrorist attack by showing a compassionate side to Scotland and even Britain.
Reply 66
Wow, what's with all the England vs Scotland thing, I've never understood why we argue so much :s-smilie:
Anyway, it's not like it matters that a tiny percent of the population of the US are gonna boycott things they probably didn't even buy in the first place...and I'm sure they have more important things to boycott than this anyway. The UK do seem to be getting attacked a bit in the US news lately though, what with the healthcare thing and now this - at least if America no longer likes us, other countries might :smile:
Reply 67
4G_dollars
Yes there was a few Americans that have died, none the less, it is an internal matter for Scotland.

The majority of those who died were Americans; by a significant margin.
Reply 68
There's no way in hell he did it anyway, most reports link two of the main testimony's to the CIA, whereby they were payed to make him a scapegoat. It's a shame many American people can't see reason.
Reply 69
Gaishan
The majority of those who died were Americans; by a significant margin.

It happened on British territory, it happened Scotland soil, it is a matter for the Scottish government to decide. Mr Megrahi was tried within UK courts. It is an internal affair. It has nothing to do with USA, even if the victims were American.
Instead of picking up on certain phrases, read through the whole thing...
Reply 70
4G_dollars
It happened on British territory, it happened Scotland soil, it is a matter for the Scottish government to decide. Mr Megrahi was tried within UK courts. It is an internal affair. It has nothing to do with USA, even if the victims were American.
Instead of picking up on certain phrases, read through the whole thing...

The preponderance of Americans on the plane was not a coincidence either, the motive of the attack was to get at the US (supposedly) and the disaster could have ocurred in international airspace or in American airspace as the plane reached its destination.
Reply 71
paniking_and_not_revising
Americans will kill thousands in Iraq but when it comes to a man who killed about 260 people, they think she should suffer.

Anyway, Britain is not an American State. We are free to do what we want and they need to understand that.

This.
Reply 72
Gaishan
The preponderance of Americans on the plane was not a coincidence either, the motive of the attack was to get at the US (supposedly) and the disaster could have ocurred in international airspace or in American airspace as the plane reached its destination.

I will repeat what I said again, it is an internal matter for Scotland. It happened on Scottish territory. The US should not get involved and continue their hypocritical stance. He was tried in the UK courts so it therefore British/Scottish matter. It has got nothing to with to do with the USA even if the victims were American. It is solely a Scottish matter.
USA should be looking at it's own back yard instead of commenting on others.
Reply 73
4G_dollars
I will repeat what I said again, it is an internal matter for Scotland. It happened on Scottish territory. The US should not get involved and continue their hypocritical stance. He was tried in the UK courts so it therefore British/Scottish matter. It has got nothing to with to do with the USA even if the victims were American. It is solely a Scottish matter.
USA should be looking at it's own back yard instead of commenting on others.

I agree that legally it is entirely an internal matter according to law, and the laws of different countries, providing they have due process and are not medieval in nature or otherwise blatantly unjust - should be respected.

However, morally, I think it is less clear. I do think the Americans should perhaps have been consulted with. Also perhaps given the fact that a) terrorists have tended to target international airliners, and 2) given the nature of international airlines crossing different jurisdictions, perhaps there is a more international way of dealing with such atrocities - rather than it happening to be dealth with just in the country it happens to blow up over.
Rightly or wrongly, the man was released on compassionate grounds. It's not the Scottish government's fault (or the fault of the nation as a whole, whose products they are proposing to boycott, for that matter) that Libya were completely and insensitively douchey about the whole thing. At the end of the day, I think this has exacerbated the situation more than the actual release.
Reply 75
Gaishan
I agree that legally it is entirely an internal matter according to law, and the laws of different countries, providing they have due process and are not medieval in nature or otherwise blatantly unjust - should be respected.

However, morally, I think it is less clear. I do think the Americans should perhaps have been consulted with. Also perhaps given the fact that a) terrorists have tended to target international airliners, and 2) given the nature of international airlines crossing different jurisdictions, perhaps there is a more international way of dealing with such atrocities - rather than it happening to be dealth with just in the country it happens to blow up over.

You can talk about morals, and if and buts, but at the end of the day it was Scotland to decide, it was their matters, the USA should not be involved.
Reply 76
Axes
Its funny that every 17 year old European who can barely read has the nerve to look down upon the US and its people. Newsflash: There are millions of ignorant Europeans too.

I'm not 17, i'm 16 :wink:
And I got an A in my higher english :wink:
And i'm going to university next month, yet, I can't read:wink:
4G_dollars
Since when has Scotland or even the UK for that matter should be made answerable to the USA for it's actions?
I don't understand how this has anything to do with the United States of America. It is an internal affair for Scotland and Britain and no one else. Yes there was a few Americans that have died, none the less, it is an internal matter for Scotland.
If USA is so concerned about this, they should look at their own backyard before commenting on others.
I praise the Scottish stance against America over this decision.

By the way, personally I am in two mind in regards to the release.

A) If the according the courts' decision and the media Mr Megarahi being involved in Lockerbie bomb, is found true, then yes he should been left to rot in prison. Although I am aware the Mr Megrahi was going to appeal and there was doubts over this whole situation of the lockerbie bombing...

B) On the other hand, this decision could prevent future terrorist attack by showing a compassionate side to Scotland and even Britain.

You´re right it doesn´t have anything to do with the US government, the most important thing in this are the families of the victims, the majority of whom are American.
Assuming Megrahi was guilty he should never have been released, the families of the victims deserve compassion ahead of this mass murderer.
Reply 78
AntiMonarchist
You´re right it doesn´t have anything to do with the US government, the most important thing in this are the families of the victims, the majority of whom are American.
Assuming Megrahi was guilty he should never have been released, the families of the victims deserve compassion ahead of this mass murderer.

And? Is it really a factor to be considered that the the families of the victims were American. It does not involve the USA anyway. It happened on Scottish soil, it was tried in the UK Jurisdiction...it is an internal matter for Scotland legally. USA does not to be involved.
Like I said, the USA seem to have a hypocritical stance of the matter...
Reply 79
im not agreeing or disagreeing with you but please stop using the term "europeans"
you can hardly group the whole of europe together.

In my defence, I said "Some Europeans", and was trying to point to the fact that both Americans and Europeans have their idiots. That doesnt mean we should generalize on whole populations because of those people.

Latest

Trending

Trending