The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bekaboo
Yeah I'm pretty sure swiftuk is right... If you come from outside (which I assume is the case with a BSc) then you def matric in a commoner's gown. I think if you are an Oxford grad then you matric in your BA gown?

If you're an Oxford grad then you don't need to matric, surely... it's a one-time job.
Esraymuk
*Sigh* Such is the state of the british state education system that it's students do not even know the difference between a suit jacket and a dinner jacket:/ They didn't used to let them in without that sort of basic knowledge.

YESSSSSSSSSSS. thank you mr tory backbench.
Reply 42
Esraymuk
*Sigh* Such is the state of the british state education system that it's students do not even know the difference between a suit jacket and a dinner jacket:/ They didn't used to let them in without that sort of basic knowledge.

Why are people like you such tossers? You post these idiotic snobby statements and then assume everyone is smirking along with you in your little Tory universe.

If you had half the brains you think you do you'd know that during the late 1990s Oxbridge admissions criteria (thankfully) changed to the far more meritocratic criteria of ability to take it from the tutors. I mean sure most private school students, due to their single sex somewhat conservative education will have an advantage over state school students when it comes to being given a good seeing to by fellow members of an educational institution, but the tutors know how to recognise potential and do their best to conduct interviews in creative ways that even private schoolers haven't encountered before.
Reply 43
Esraymuk

They do, however, teach that 'its' should be used as a possessive designation rather than the contraction of 'it is'. I wonder which basic knowledge is more likely to make a long-term positive impression?
Reply 44
Esraymuk
Man this forum is way too easy, you say anything even remotely conservative sounding and you're accosted by a multitude of left wing liberal types all highly indignant and offended.

Oh right, I assumed you were taking the piss, you actually meant what you said... Well in that case *negs*
Teebs
Why are people like you such tossers? You post these idiotic snobby statements and then assume everyone is smirking along with you in your little Tory universe.

If you had half the brains you think you do you'd know that during the late 1990s Oxbridge admissions criteria (thankfully) changed to the far more meritocratic criteria of ability to take it from the tutors. I mean sure most private school students, due to their single sex somewhat conservative education will have an advantage over state school students when it comes to being given a good seeing to by fellow members of an educational institution, but the tutors know how to recognise potential and do their best to conduct interviews in creative ways that even private schoolers haven't encountered before.

I don't see the connection to conduction of interviews, but GO MY SON GO.

to the tory guy: I actually mostly agree with you, general knowledge in this country is terrible.
Reply 46
Esraymuk
Man this forum is way too easy, you say anything even remotely conservative sounding ******** and you're accosted corrected by a multitude of left wing liberal types sensible people with brains all highly indignant and offended.

There we go, that's sorted :biggrin:
Reply 47
Teebs
Oh right, I assumed you were taking the piss, you actually meant what you said... Well in that case *negs*

I'll have to remember to neg him tomorrow - I can't, seeing as I've already repped you for your earlier post :tongue:
Reply 48
Esraymuk
Man this forum is way too easy, you say anything even remotely conservative sounding and you're accosted by a multitude of left wing liberal types all highly indignant and offended.

I didn't even read what you said. Your erroneous apostrophe leapt out at me and caused such immediate outrage I had to go outside and beat up some immigrants with a rolled-up copy of the Daily Mail.
Reply 49
cpchem
I'll have to remember to neg him tomorrow - I can't, seeing as I've already repped you for your earlier post

Heh, I was just reminding myself I should positive rep you for your correction in half an hour.

I don't think I'm impressed with this crop of applicants/randomers who post in our forum.
Reply 50
Teebs
Heh, I was just reminding myself I should positive rep you for your correction in half an hour.

I don't think I'm impressed with this crop of applicants/randomers who post in our forum.

Ah, so it wasn't you who repped me the other day then. Hmm...
Reply 51
cpchem
Ah, so it wasn't you who repped me the other day then. Hmm...

Don't think I've repped anyone in the last month. I don't do much repping.

Oh dear, looking at my rep it seems people miss the buggery references... Was I too subtle?
Reply 52
Teebs
Don't think I've repped anyone in the last month. I don't do much repping.

Oh dear, looking at my rep it seems people miss the buggery references... Was I too subtle?

Ah, it's just that I was repped re: blind people and the innocence (or otherwise) of your visage, in the PS tea room. Thought it might have been you. Hmm... might sub for a month and find out. Damn anonymous reppers!
lol, I just got negged by someone for my post too.
"you're stupid and not funny".
how kind
Reply 54
Dave_McDougall
lol, I just got negged by someone for my post too.
"you're stupid and not funny".
how kind

Well just be glad it's not one of the more powerful reppers around.
Reply 55
Reply 56
Esraymuk
Sigh, first off rep does not matter in the least so you can neg rep me all you want, considering it reflects the opinion on a bunch of complete randomers whose opinion hardly matters, and secondly I thought liberal types were supposed to respect free speech? Apparently such respect only applies to opinions you like or approve of.

Oh well, I stand by my initial point.

Nobody here is disrespecting your right to free speech. We're merely commenting on the fact that you seem to be spouting a load of ********.
Reply 57
Esraymuk
Sigh, first off rep does not matter in the least so you can neg rep me all you want, considering it reflects the opinion on a bunch of complete randomers whose opinion hardly matters, and secondly I thought liberal types were supposed to respect free speech? Apparently such respect only applies to opinions you like or approve of.

Oh well, I stand by my initial point.

So now you're trying to take some kind of high ground :rolleyes:

Firstly, you show a fundamental misunderstanding of the rep system. Its not there to make you feel bad about your posts. Negging you serves two purposes, one is to let people know you're annoying/uninteresting/stupid by moving your gems into the red. The other is personal satisfaction. Of course it changing your opinions/behaviour would be nice, but anyone who actively expected that would be an idiot.

Like many of your kind (rightwingers who if they were half as intelligent as they thought they were would be twice as intelligent as they actually were) you seem to have no conception of what liberalism is. Objecting to your view that the education system and Oxbridge admissions are failing because new students don't know the difference between dinner jackets and suits has nothing to do with political ideology on either the left-right spectrum or the liberal-authoritarian spectrum.

You also seem to have some kind of misconception about the meaning of free speech, thinking that yours is somehow being impinged upon. Persecution complexes are also something that I've seen on the idiotic right (as opposed to the intelligent right). People mocking you, people being rude about you and people negging you are not infringements on your free speech. What do you think free speech is? You get to make a statement, however stupid, and then everyone sits round in a circle nodding about what an intelligent and wide man you are?

If you really want to stand by your initial point that is your perogative, but perhaps rather than simply making a statement, you could explain why learning the difference between a dinner jacket and a suit should be a vital part of our education system and why not knowing means someone shouldn't be able to get into Oxford. Expect to be mocked if you do so.
Reply 58
Esraymuk
Very well I will explain my point of view.

First off, an education system is not merely there to teach people about numbers and how to read, it's there to teach people the skills & social graces in life they need to suceed. Now, while obviously "success" in life does not equate to simply being invited to events which require you to know the difference between a suit and a dinner jacket, I would invite you to give me an example of success in which knowledge of the above difference is useful if not vital. I define success in the traditional, pragmatic and no-BS sense, i.e. being the top of your field in a difficult career or pursuit.

Secondly Oxford as an institution used to recruit not solely on academic ability, which I believe to be very important, but also on other factors such as your character as well as your knowledge of basic social graces. The sort of people oxford produced were not only highly intelligent at their subject, but were also well rounded people of a high-calibre. They had a certain "quality" to them, if you go talk to most of the older fellows I think you'll find many will privately agree if not publically state this (being considered politically incorrect and all), or at least this has been my experience.

Knowing some basic social things like this is obviously not a replacement for academic ability or intelligence, nor is it a "make or break" quality which I may have inadvertantly made it out to be in my first post, but it's the sort of thing that you would expect a well rounded social person to know and I'm very much concerned Oxford seems to be giving into this "equality" business a bit too much. The whole point of Oxford is to skim off the cream of society's youth and boost them further with a strong education, not to become some sort of paragon of equality where everyone is given the mistaken impression they're equal to everyone else, which is obviously not true.

The point is, while I applaud efforts to remove irrelevant criteria such as race, background, etc, getting rid of everything apart from academic ability in the criteria is a serious mistake.

Ok - but according to your view, you would only have the cream that already came from wealthy families, and then propel them to success? And so their children would be the same, and so on.

What about the intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated people from working class families? Not just working class, but actually academically neglectful of their child.

Certain talents are needed for Oxford, I believe. Academic talents must be accompanied by dedication, social skills and an ability to succeed.

BUT, this is NOT related to the knowing trite differences between aspects of clothing...

Should they not be allowed into Oxford?

Anyway, I can learn the difference between a suit and dinner jacket. Sadly, I doubt you'll ever learn not to be a moron....
Reply 59
Hello again,
My earlier question seems to have been lost in this argument... does anyone know what the Woodstock Road Running of the Freshers entails? Like is it a race, how far is it, which freshers do it?
Thanks in anticipation :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending