Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Theme Park MS-DOS installation on XP

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a copy of theme park fro my birthday, and I've sat here for about 2 hours this morning trying in vain to install it.

The minimum requirements are for 95, and I've got XP, and basically I'm just stuck. I can get to one screen, but I can't physically play the game.

I've been after this for years, and now I've got it and I can't play it!

If anyone could help it would be really really really appreciated. In fact, Rep for anyone who can get it working.

Thankyou

Becki
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    tried running it in compatibility mode?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not the old original copy of theme park is it? Like the one that requires a 486 minimum or something?

If it is, mine used to run at like double speed on any computer above 200MHz...

If it's the later Theme Park World you'll be ok though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft Link (see about half way down page)

Give this a go. If this doesn't work, then, unfortunatley, it's quite a complex proceedure to get it all running.

Good Luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is also another problem, the way Theme Park works it uses the processsors clock cycles to calculate the games speed, the game was designed when a 33Mhz 486 was state of the art. Now of course our PCs are running at 2000Mhz+.

I read some where that even a 300Mhz PC would have trouble playing it.

Then of course it was written for MS-DOS and not Windows or NTFS. I have a cracked copy of Transport Tycoon which plays perfectly but the core has been modified to allow this.

If you want to play games like this have you thought about buying an old 486 laptop?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try DosBox?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python05)
    Try DosBox?
    I probably should have mentioned that I know basically nothing about computers...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I got a copy of theme park fro my birthday, and I've sat here for about 2 hours this morning trying in vain to install it.

The minimum requirements are for 95, and I've got XP, and basically I'm just stuck. I can get to one screen, but I can't physically play the game.

If anyone could help it would be really really really appreciated. In fact, Rep for anyone who can get it working.

Thankyou

Becki
    Use compatibility mode... (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Program Compatibility Wizard). The "Disable visual themes" button can help, especially if you have graphics problems. Try any of them though... Windows 95, 640x480, 256 colour etc. Perhaps first have all of those options on then if it doesn't work then the game won't work at all with compatibility mode... if it does work switch the options off one by one so you can figure out which one it is making the game work.

Good luck. Alternatively... there's always Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 or 3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just install win98 or something... on a different partition. Most of my Dos games work fine with 98 on a 2.5GHz P4.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Just install win98 or something... on a different partition. Most of my Dos games work fine with 98 on a 2.5GHz P4.
    I've got 98 on my computer upstairs, but it still works at what I can only call Hyperspeed... I managed to get it working on XP, but it was too fast still
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are cpu hogging programms that can hog processor time... which basically slow your computer down.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    dosbox is the way to go its fully supported with it,
    runs fine for me
    go here and download and install it
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/d...r.exe?download

its a dos emulator, its pretty easy to use, you basically 'mount' the game onto it and then run it in dosbox
    this is the FAQ its pretty usefull although if you have any other questions i can probably answer them.
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldPanda)
    dosbox is the way to go its fully supported with it,
    runs fine for me
    go here and download and install it
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/d...r.exe?download

its a dos emulator, its pretty easy to use, you basically 'mount' the game onto it and then run it in dosbox
    this is the FAQ its pretty usefull although if you have any other questions i can probably answer them.
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php
    I can't get it to get to the setup screen. I've set my cd drive as the local directory ( I think that was the right thing to do :confused: ) but it wont get any further than that

My game is on CD rather than saved on the computer, I guess that's fairly standard.

I just don't know how to get it running
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I said it would be too fast but people just ignored that comment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't get it to get to the setup screen. I've set my cd drive as the local directory ( I think that was the right thing to do :confused: ) but it wont get any further than that

My game is on CD rather than saved on the computer, I guess that's fairly standard.

I just don't know how to get it running
    you need to install the game and then point dos box to the location you saved it on the hard disc.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I said it would be too fast but people just ignored that comment.
    You can slow DosBox down I got 1986 tetris working on my laptop!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thankyou

Becki

hi, i cant even get to the install screen and i have no idea what to do i have tried everything i know and i know a bit. i was just wondering if anyone could help me

i click "install" and it goes into msdos but it comes up with many errors

thx

grant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zakubos)
    hi, i cant even get to the install screen and i have no idea what to do i have tried everything i know and i know a bit. i was just wondering if anyone could help me

i click "install" and it goes into msdos but it comes up with many errors

thx

grant
    omg u have the same problem as well?

my soln: get an old computer and install it on that.
Updated: June 15, 2005
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.