The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm i probably didnt make this clear enough my friend is doing biology, chemistry, physics, core and additional

I'm just wondering where the core and additional came from, cos the modules that make up them are the same as 2/3 of the ones in the separate sciences
:s i did triple science 2years ago, its exactly the same as double award but you have three 'additional papers' (one for each science)

sounds like things have changed alot :s-smilie:
Reply 22
radiated yoghurt
What? so you basically jut retake units and get a new GCSE, What the hell???

I wish that worked for A-level...

Yes.

Doublereedfreak
No, you can't get 5 science GCSEs. You either get 1 (core) 2 (core + add) or 3 (core, add, + EXTENSION units)

You can - like I just said. I got 4 that way - could have got 5.
Triple Science, Electronics, Computing?
Reply 24
well in theroy you can do:

CIE

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Combined
Co-ordinated

AQA

Science
Applied Science
Additional Science
Additional Applied Science
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

but dont see a school butting students in for all.
At my school you could do triple science and then there was the option to attend after school lessons to get gcses in astronomy and geology. I guess that could count as five :biggrin:
mahaneap
Why didn't you ask him?

+1.

Just ask them. They're either lying or can tell you exactly what they took so you'll know.
Reply 27
1. Biology
2. Chemistry
3. Physics
4. Geology
5. Astronomy

(I did the first 4, Astronomy isn't offered at my school)
Reply 28
What is the point of having core, additional, chem bio and physics? :lolwut:
Reply 29
Laura373
What is the point of having core, additional, chem bio and physics? :lolwut:

Core = for those who can't cope with more
Double Award = for most normal people
And Chem Bio and Physics are all 1/3 core, 1/3 additional (i.e. basically 2/3 of the course is the double award) and then you take an extra module of additional stuff that the others don't study, so each one becomes a full GCSE.
Reply 30
Bekaboo
Core = for those who can't cope with more
Double Award = for most normal people
And Chem Bio and Physics are all 1/3 core, 1/3 additional (i.e. basically 2/3 of the course is the double award) and then you take an extra module of additional stuff that the others don't study, so each one becomes a full GCSE.

i know, i did separates last year. But what is the point of having core and additional as well as separates when it's just the same stuff? :confused:
Reply 31
Laura373
i know, i did separates last year. But what is the point of having core and additional as well as separates when it's just the same stuff? :confused:

You can't. You can either have core and additional, or you can have the three separates.
Reply 32
radiated yoghurt
MY friend was telling me how he is doing 5 GCSEs in science and I was like....WHAT how is that possible??

I did my GCSEs in 2007 (before modules) so I have no idea how this works, can someone please explain? :smile:

Triple science people end up taking all the exams of additional +core students, as well as more... So he/she is thinking they have the above 2, as well as the speperate 3.

In fact they kinda have those before the rest of us, it's only 3 seperate GCSE's in the end though, so their stretching the truth a little? lol
Reply 33
Melz0r
Bio Phys Chem plus Double Award Science? Am not sure if you can do that...

I don't think you can. Triple science is just the double award stuff plus an extra paper. You can't do the triple award stuff on its own :p:
Reply 34
Bekaboo
You can't. You can either have core and additional, or you can have the three separates.

but that's the point of this thread isnt it? the guy the OP's talking about has got biology, chemistry, physics, core and additional. all i was saying is that it's pretty pointless.
Reply 35
Laura373
the guy the OP's talking about has got biology, chemistry, physics, core and additional.

How do you know? Why don't they have other science subjects other than bio, phys and chem?
I did 4 science GCSEs last year- Core in Y10 and then Biology, Chemistry and Physics separate sciences, so I presume your friend has done the same as this but has done Additional Science as well.
On OCR Gateway, we did modules B1, C1 and P1 in one paper, then B2, C2 and P2 in another paper to get COre Science GCSE.
Then we did papers covering B1, B2 and B3, then one with B4, B5 and B6 to get Biology GCSE, C1, C2 and C3 and C4, C5 and C6 to get Chemistry and P1, P2 and P3 and P4, P5 and P6 to get Physics GCSE :smile:
Reply 37
Quady
How do you know? Why don't they have other science subjects other than bio, phys and chem?

because he said...
Hmmm i probably didnt make this clear enough my friend is doing biology, chemistry, physics, core and additional
Reply 38
Just to set you ALL straight...

My friend Maks did this, this year.
OCR

Core Science (b1,2 c1,2 p1,2)
Additional Science (b3,4 c3,4 p3,4)
Additional Biology (b1,2,3,4,5,6)
Additional Chem (c1,2,3,4,5,6)
Additional Physics (p1,2,3,4,5,6)

This gives you 5 seperate science full GCSE's.
Personally I took Core, additional + physics.
i got five sciences :smile: core,additional and then seperates (bio,chem,phys)

Latest