The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, bottled water is a rip-off to be honest. I buy like 1 bottle a month or so and refill it over and over from my tap lol
Reply 21
The difference is, evian don't attempt to fix the price of their water (as to do so would be illegal in this country), so whilst it may be overpriced, they have not artificially inflated the price by manipulating market forces, which is what OPEC do with oil.
aeonflux
The difference is, evian don't attempt to fix the price of their water (as to do so would be illegal in this country), so whilst it may be overpriced, they have not artificially inflated the price by manipulating market forces, which is what OPEC do with oil.

No but bottled water companies respond to the market to price, which is practically the same thing when they've got such large profit margins.
Blame HMG, the levels of tax imposed is crazy.
cause the west are jealous of Dubai king's diamond embedded benz :coma:
Reply 25
Dozzer_Cufc
No but bottled water companies respond to the market to price, which is practically the same thing when they've got such large profit margins.

All products are priced according to the market, ie. demand and supply.

That is not the same as oil which is priced according to how much OPEC feel like charging, which they do by manipulating supply. Normally if demand drops, the price falls with it, but with oil OPEC manipulate the supply to keep the price artificially inflated.
aeonflux
All products are priced according to the market, ie. demand and supply.

That is not the same as oil which is priced according to how much OPEC feel like charging, which they do by manipulating supply. Normally if demand drops, the price falls with it, but with oil OPEC manipulate the supply to keep the price artificially inflated.

We do exactly the same with the E.U's common agricultural policy. It would be a bit hypocritical to hate Arabs because OPEC fix oil prices.
Reply 27
Do the Arabs put oil prices up?
Some oil producers are not Arab. Kenya, Iran, Nigeria, South Africa, Britain, Austria, USA to name just a few.
Reply 28
Tbh, why hate them? Who hates them? They have the oil, we want it, supply and demand baby...

Everyone knows for a fact we would do the exact same if we had so much oil we could bath in it.
because they have developed invisible nuclear warhead technology, just like they have in Iraq.

... according to tony and george W anyway :mad:
Reply 30
Welsh_insomniac
We do exactly the same with the E.U's common agricultural policy. It would be a bit hypocritical to hate Arabs because OPEC fix oil prices.

I never said EU's agricultural subsidies are not also unfair, but two wrongs don't make a right, and it is not hypocritical of me to condemn both the CAP and OPEC.
Reply 31
It's well know this is where all bottle water comes from;

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/29/article-0-0076D52300000258-206_468x337.jpg
aeonflux
I never said EU's agricultural subsidies are not also unfair, but two wrongs don't make a right, and it is not hypocritical of me to condemn both the CAP and OPEC.

Of course not. I'm sorry, I never actually realised I quoted you. I assure you, it was not in my intentions.
Just think how much energy a single litre of petrol contains. For just over a £1 I can propel a not particularly efficient (say 40mpg) 1000kg+ wheeled vehicle almost 9 miles in under 10minutes. Now think how long it would take you to push said vehicle the same distance (pushing a car even a relatively small distance is hard work), and then think you need to do it at maybe 20 times the speed at which you were pushing to do the 9 miles in the same time.

Petrol is marvellous stuff :yep:

(Numerically a single litre of petrol typically contains 32 MJ or about 9 kWh of energy)
70% of the money you at the pump goes the government. 29% goes to the oil company, e.g. BP, Shell etc. and around 1% goes to the Arabs. Blame the government for the high oil prices and the multinational oil companies for raising the prices and whilst still making hundreds of billions of dollars.
Reply 35
don't hate the players, hate the game :P The arabs only rise it up by a couple of pence, well dur the world is getting more expensive. As for the clowns up in Downing street who think it okay to put up the taxes on oil, well you have them to thank.

btw bottled water is ultimately the biggest rip off ON THE PLANET.
Reply 36
OH and if it wasn't for OPEC then the big Bullies US/UK, would squeeze the middle east outta every drop of oil they own.

THE US ALREADY HAS A TAX AND TAKES A PERCENTAGE ON EVERY LITRE OF OIL THAT OPEC SELLS, EVEN IF IT DOESN'T GO TO THEM.
pffft. Oil is pretty damn cheap in my opinion. yes, there are people are not going to be able to afford it but then again, oil isn't exactly an infinate resource. That's just life.
Reply 38
Student2806
I don't hate Arabs, I hate Mr Darling for raping us with extortionate taxes on fuel. We pay ~50p tax per litre while the USA pays half that.

And we don'tn have to pay other taxes and costs they do pay.

If you want to get rid of the tax on fuel, go ahead. Just don't then mind a £4,000 a year road tax bill, or a 20% increase in income tax, or 20% increase in VAT.
Or oh look, a cut in government spending. A total dropping of support for students for example - no grant, no government loan, but hey no fuel duty.
Reply 39
CombineHarvester
70% of the money you at the pump goes the government. 29% goes to the oil company, e.g. BP, Shell etc. and around 1% goes to the Arabs. Blame the government for the high oil prices and the multinational oil companies for raising the prices and whilst still making hundreds of billions of dollars.

Most of the fuel doesn't come from Arabs, so why pay them?
Americans, Africans, Russia, Iran, even Europeans produce oil. Just Arabs get the press.

Here in Britain we don't make a massive profit for the fuel companies. The stock market reports? Look at where a MULTINATIONAL company makes the bulk of its profit. Its not Britain.

Latest

Trending

Trending