Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The british pound - will it get stronger or weaker?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I am moving to Britain in less than a month, and I have to pay my tuition fees. I know that the British pound is weak right now, which makes it cheaper for me to pay my tuition (as I currently have my money in Norwegian Kroner, and will pay my fees in GBP).

I do not know much about the financial situation in Britain, and I was wondering if anyone else would care to speculate. Do you think that the British pound will become weaker or stronger in the next few weeks/months?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly business confidence is growing and therefore the recession is ending/is about to end so my guess is the pount will only get stronger.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rounder. :yes:
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stronger.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    Apparantly business confidence is growing and therefore the recession is ending/is about to end so my guess is the pount will only get stronger.
    your sig made me :giggle:
    Critical hit :rofl2:

OP stronger i would say
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one can knows, it's all speculation (and most probably wrong, as people spend millions every year on technology to work out which way it's going to go, why would a student know?!) but if you can afford it now, do it now, so your bet is hedged.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaandreaaa)
    So I am moving to Britain in less than a month, and I have to pay my tuition fees. I know that the British pound is weak right now, which makes it cheaper for me to pay my tuition (as I currently have my money in Norwegian Kroner, and will pay my fees in GBP).

I do not know much about the financial situation in Britain, and I was wondering if anyone else would care to speculate. Do you think that the British pound will become weaker or stronger in the next few weeks/months?
    wait, doesn't the Student Loans Company pay your tuition fees?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    wait, doesn't the Student Loans Company pay your tuition fees?
    Not when I am going to study in a foreign country. Which is why I am stressing over this. They have already set the amount that I will get, and then if the pound is stronger when I transfer the money it will be more expensive for me. And I haven't received the money yet, so I cant transfer them now.

(I am not getting a loan from the UK Student Loans Comany btw, I am getting it from the Norwegian equivalent)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stronger.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Stronger.

By the end of this year, the euro will fall behind the pound yet again

The dollar is going to go a hell lot down as they will try to increase their exports and print a lot more money.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think stronger, although maybe not compared to the Euro considering the recent improvements in the German and French economic situation?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    its going to stay low until the bank of england raise interest rates, which judging by the present situation and recent news (mixed outlook on how well different parts of the economy are doing) and the extension of quantitative easing, it won't be for a while.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite knowledgable about this subject so take my advice:...It is very difficult to give a time line for but this is what i believe will happen (and most economists have been predicting for a long time)

The pound will weaken against the Euro and will level off at £1 = 1euro

The US Dollar will weaken which in essence will make it seem like the pound is getting stronger.

Euro's are the best investment at this present time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2009
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.