The Student Room Group
Reply 1
distributed processing: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/distributed_processing.html

Webopedia is a good computer dictionary to clarify terms in my opinion.
Distribute databases:

If you are a company with offices scattered all over the world selling DVDs, and you have a Head Office in London with a central database that tracks sales and makes sure you have enough of the right DVDs, every time any of the offices want to place an order, they have to do it with the London office. That means that if communication links are down, you can't, and it may take longer to establish communications.

If you take a copy of the London database, then chop up the copy into the bits that are needed by different offices (e.g. the India office gets the copy of the database that deals with Indian DVDs) then you don't have the same problem with communication links and time delays.

However, this distributed database has got to be synchronised regularly with the London database, to make sure that it is up-to-date. Distributed databases are therefore more complex to manage. Also, because parts of the copy of the database are all over the world, it is more difficult to manage security.
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the definitions, and websites, they are very helpful! will learn them after dinner! Thanks again!!
Reply 4
emma155
Thank you very much for the definitions, and websites, they are very helpful! will learn them after dinner! Thanks again!!

You're welcome. When is your ICT exam? I thought your ICT textbook will have definitions. :redface: I know a A-level ICT vocabulary book, but I forgot what it's call. If you have time, you should go and buy it. :p: I will find it later on if I know what it's called.
Reply 5
trev
You're welcome. When is your ICT exam? I thought your ICT textbook will have definitions. :redface: I know a A-level ICT vocabulary book, but I forgot what it's call. If you have time, you should go and buy it. :p: I will find it later on if I know what it's called.

I use the Heathcote textbook, but the definitions aren't very clear, and I think more detail is required in the book too! The exam is the 24th June, ICT5, and the teacher who taught us that topic is rubbish anyway and just re-worded the stuff from the textbook-not helpful when its like 'previously there was...' - we don't care what there was, or the fact that '8% of...' statistics won't get us grades, because the examiners won't care what previously happened, or another example taught by him the percentage of people who are colourblind-human computer interface, so I researdch my own notes for stuff that he taught us, luckily we've got a excellent teacher who teaches the rest of the module!
Reply 6
emma155
I use the Heathcote textbook, but the definitions aren't very clear, and I think more detail is required in the book too! The exam is the 24th June, ICT5, and the teacher who taught us that topic is rubbish anyway and just re-worded the stuff from the textbook-not helpful when its like 'previously there was...' - we don't care what there was, or the fact that '8% of...' statistics won't get us grades, because the examiners won't care what previously happened, or another example taught by him the percentage of people who are colourblind-human computer interface, so I researdch my own notes for stuff that he taught us, luckily we've got a excellent teacher who teaches the rest of the module!

I do A-level computing and I use the book which is written by Heathcote and Langsfield. The stuff is alright, but the definitions are not detailed, nevertheless, they are sufficient though. Some of the stuff is updated too. If you buy the new ICT (I think it's the 3rd edition), the information is more up to date.

Since the teacher is not that good, it's good that you taught yourself by researching. In addition, you could use the textbook to teach yourself too though. Sometimes the internet gives to much informatiobn. :redface:

Good luck on the exam. My friends are doing ICT4/5 in june.

Latest

Trending

Trending