The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infernalcradle
looks like someone is gonna be up bright and early thursday morning :biggrin:

hah absolutely! :-)
Baidu is great, Chinese search engine, more popular than google domestically. Anyone here use wallstreetsurvivor? Or you all trade real money?
Reply 4462
Original post by alex000
http://rt2.e.prorealtime.com/ProRealTime/showimage.phtml?id=13026061180346

A double top is where prices fail to break resistance twice thus creating an partial M shape, for the double top to be confirmed a close below 5.1 will be needed which is the lowest point in the M.
Prices then would drop to create the M shape. Target would be set by subtrating the low from the high so 6.8-5.1=1.7 target is then 3.4~.

remember this will only happen if 5.1 fails, and good news will most likely stop this...IMHO

a recent example is encore

thanks mate!
Reply 4463
hey, figured you 3 would probably know between you :biggrin:

if a company is going on floatation for the first time on the LSE....

do you simply have to ruck up at 7am, find the stock and buy it.....or is there a way of putting in a pre-floatation order that is fulfilled when the floatation occurs....

I dont know the answer to that question.......but i feel privileged that you thought I could answer it :colondollar: :tongue:

Btw you still gkp? Was expecting it to rocket after the big news a few weeks ago.
Reply 4464
Just read up on glencore....whats all the fuss about. Have i missed something :s-smilie:
Original post by vn2009
I dont know the answer to that question.......but i feel privileged that you thought I could answer it :colondollar: :tongue:

Btw you still gkp? Was expecting it to rocket after the big news a few weeks ago.

haha, no problem....

I'm in GKP till TK sells :biggrin:

with the occasional top up along the way of course...

the ting with glencore is that its the first time its gonna be stock listed....and given what its currently doing/its fundamentals....its an amazing oppurtunity...
Reply 4466

do you simply have to ruck up at 7am, find the stock and buy it.....or is there a way of putting in a pre-floatation order that is fulfilled when the floatation occurs....

From what i know (which isn't much compared to what others will know), IPO opportunities tend to be given to people who have links to the company, or are known to trade often, or in big amounts. In the time i've been trading i've only ever been offered two, and compared to Glencore, they weren't as good in terms of growth/fundamentals, which is probably why i was offered them!

The best thing you can do is call up your broker (cause obviously the shares won't be available easily to buy online) and ask about the stock and how/when you can buy in. If they can sell the shares, then it's likely to be between 7am and 8am on the day of the float; you'll probably have to call up then, with the money in your share dealing account, and then they may be able to get you the shares.

As i said before, i don't know a lot, and a lot of IPOs are down to luck and connections, but the best you can do at the moment is enquire with your broker.
Reply 4467
Anybody got into/thinking about getting into Desire?

Chance of success for the Ninky Well is 27%, am i right in thinking, the chance of success of Rockhoppers Sea Lion Well was 23%; so that would make Ninky the highest chance of success well to have been drilled in the Falklands to date, and we know that there is oil in the Falklands, so it makes it look like a decent punt to me. I mean, Desire might have a terrible BOD, but they do know how to drill a well, and in the end they do know whether they've found oil or not!

It seems an ok punt to me, and my broker offers commission under £6 for trades under £200 (which is all i have in terms of funds at the moment) so i was thinking, i mean, if they hit oil, the share price could easily double, i could get another £200 back, which makes the commission and tax seem like nothing!
Original post by orca92
Anybody got into/thinking about getting into Desire?

Chance of success for the Ninky Well is 27%, am i right in thinking, the chance of success of Rockhoppers Sea Lion Well was 23%; so that would make Ninky the highest chance of success well to have been drilled in the Falklands to date, and we know that there is oil in the Falklands, so it makes it look like a decent punt to me. I mean, Desire might have a terrible BOD, but they do know how to drill a well, and in the end they do know whether they've found oil or not!

It seems an ok punt to me, and my broker offers commission under £6 for trades under £200 (which is all i have in terms of funds at the moment) so i was thinking, i mean, if they hit oil, the share price could easily double, i could get another £200 back, which makes the commission and tax seem like nothing!

Thanks for your advise RE. the IPO, may I ask what broker you use? 6 quid commision for trades under 200 quid is v.good....is that the standard offer this brokerage offers?

Haven't a clue I'm afraid :frown: never bothered with IPOs as they are always really volatile, e.g. ocado or african barrick gold
Original post by Fynch101
Haven't a clue I'm afraid :frown: never bothered with IPOs as they are always really volatile, e.g. ocado or african barrick gold

Yep, Ocado was an awful IPO, it was shorted big time by many hedge funds on the day of the float..
Reply 4471
Original post by CityTrader
Thanks for your advise RE. the IPO, may I ask what broker you use? 6 quid commision for trades under 200 quid is v.good....is that the standard offer this brokerage offers?

I use Halifax share dealing. I've just looked it up, and apparently the price is £5 for trades under £250. It's £11.95 for trades over £250, and it's £17.50 for international trades. I'm not sure whether it's exactly £5, i've got a feeling it's £5.95 or something similar; i've only had a few £200 punts in truth so i can't remember exactly what it charges. I find it's a good service, and i only make about half a dozen trades a month, so i don't need rock bottom commission.

If you want a really cheap broker, then X-O is good apparently (http://www.x-o.co.uk/); i haven't used it, but it's execution only for £5.95 for a trade of any size (as far as i know). I'd get on a big BB like LSE or iii and ask someone who's actually using it if the service is good before opening an account though.

And about the IPO, i'd also ask on a BB for exact information, the people there have 50 years more experienced than me about these things lol!
Original post by orca92
I use Halifax share dealing. I've just looked it up, and apparently the price is £5 for trades under £250. It's £11.95 for trades over £250, and it's £17.50 for international trades. I'm not sure whether it's exactly £5, i've got a feeling it's £5.95 or something similar; i've only had a few £200 punts in truth so i can't remember exactly what it charges. I find it's a good service, and i only make about half a dozen trades a month, so i don't need rock bottom commission.

If you want a really cheap broker, then X-O is good apparently (http://www.x-o.co.uk/); i haven't used it, but it's execution only for £5.95 for a trade of any size (as far as i know). I'd get on a big BB like LSE or iii and ask someone who's actually using it if the service is good before opening an account though.

And about the IPO, i'd also ask on a BB for exact information, the people there have 50 years more experienced than me about these things lol!

Thank you very much for this! :-)
Reply 4473
Original post by orca92

I'm using X-O and they are great! I couldn't expect more from the service they offer, and their customer service was great the one time I had a problem.

The £5.95 flat fee is definitely a great perk.
Has anyone traded or looked at the company CITIC pacific..? big hong kong company looking to expands its metal extraction so is leasing huge land in western australia.... here is an interesting article http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/12/china-australia-mining-iron-coal

trading on the US, i reckon a very promising long term investment.
Original post by Groat
I'm using X-O and they are great! I couldn't expect more from the service they offer, and their customer service was great the one time I had a problem.

The £5.95 flat fee is definitely a great perk.

Oh rite, thanks for the feedback, does X-O cover US and Uk stocks aswell?? and also how flexible are they with there stop - losses???
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4476
i would seriously question buying an IPO like Glencore...its the ultimate example of asymetric information. the people selling you the shares are partners, why would they do that? is it cos they are really generous guys?

Goldman Sachs is a great example of why these firms shouldn't go public but Glencore has been even more publicity-shy and its clear disclosure is going to be a massie problem...i can see why they aren't listing in new york...either way, its not going to end well. however, it will be interesting to see what index funds do as its obviously going straight into FTSE100.
Reply 4477
Original post by CityTrader
Oh rite, thanks for the feedback, does X-O cover US and Uk stocks aswell?? and also how flexible are they with there stop - losses???

They don't allow you to purchase stocks in foreign markets. I haven't had to use stop-losses yet, but I'm sure they are quite good!
please may anyone tell me good online brokers, where you can deal in US and UK stocks?
Has anyone used the broker iii.....? any feedback would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending