The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Today TCG peaked early doors at 25.5p after closing at 23.25p yesterday representing a rise of circa 9.68%.

Therefore you would net a sum of £968, minus tax being circa £890. Of course, selling at the peak was unlikely.Whilst it closed in slightly negative territory, my limit was met and my shares were sold at 25p as predicted. Therefore I net a sum of £752 and a profit of circa £670.

However, profit takers as well as pessimists soon
bundled in with the share price closing at 22.75p

Will post my preview for tomorrow later :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Trader2012
Today TCG peaked early doors at 25.5p after closing at 23.25p yesterday representing a rise of circa 9.68%.

Therefore you would net a sum of £968, minus tax being circa £890. Of course, selling at the peak was unlikely.Whilst it closed in slightly negative territory, my limit was met and my shares were sold at 25p as predicted. Therefore I net a sum of £752 and a profit of circa £670.

However, profit takers as well as pessimists soon
bundled in with the share price closing at 22.75p

Will post my preview for tomorrow later :smile:

Drinks are on you then haha with all this profit you are making! I need to get hold of £10,000 and knowledge on charting...

Oh, and some balls. :lol:
My Proposal for tomorrow:

With markets looking jittery, I have decided to have a shot at a stable prospect - SUS.

Assume you had purchased £10,000 worth of SUS today at 787p. (you cannot buy at less than this sum today) They currently are trading at 775p. (P.S. I only bought circa £9100 of these)

I reckon tomorrow it should rise at least 3.3% to 800p with scope for a larger rise, netting a supposed rise of 1.67% or £167 minus £80 being a mere £87.

I reckon it will not be a great day tomorrow, but wanted a sturdy pick, and 800p could easily be exceeded tomorrow as SUS is rather illiquid!

NB: I will NOT be setting a limit on this one so any profit that is made will be not necessarily be at 800p.

Trader2012
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Maccees
Drinks are on you then haha with all this profit you are making! I need to get hold of £10,000 and knowledge on charting...

Oh, and some balls. :lol:

Lol, Im off to tenerife from monday til friday during half term thus will not be posting predictions for that week.
My Proposal for tomorrow:

With markets looking jittery, I have decided to have a shot at a stable prospect - SUS.

Assume you had purchased £10,000 worth of SUS today at 787p. They currently are trading at 775p. (P.S. I only bought circa £9100 of these)

I reckon tomorrow it should rise at least 3.3% to 800p with scope for a larger rise, netting a supposed rise of 1.67% or £167 minus £80 being a mere £87.

I reckon it will not be a great day tomorrow, but wanted a sturdy pick, and 800p could easily be exceeded tomorrow as SUS is rather illiquid!

NB: I will NOT be setting a limit on this one so any profit that is made will be not necessarily be at 800p.

Trader2012

any chance of saying which stock to buy that day before the markets are closed?
Original post by infernalcradle
any chance of saying which stock to buy that day before the markets are closed?

I can try to do that if its beneficial. Might start that scheme during the second week of half term as I will have a lot of free time then.

Sound ok?

Hopefully its useful!
I can try to do that if its beneficial. Might start that scheme during the second week of half term as I will have a lot of free time then.

Sound ok?

Hopefully its useful!

that would be great :smile:

God knows I could use some of your skill when it comes to trading :tongue:

I'm a mid to long term investor through and through, with all the intra-day trading nous of a lemon
Original post by infernalcradle
that would be great :smile:

God knows I could use some of your skill when it comes to trading :tongue:

I'm a mid to long term investor through and through, with all the intra-day trading nous of a lemon

No disrespect to Trader2012, he would probably even agree with me, but shouldn't act upon trading advise from an online forum if you don't understand why you are doing what you are doing. At the very least, research the company before hand, look at recent news, reports and crap.

He has been right so far I know, but one day he could turn round and make a prediction that will funk you up, just for the lols. He probably wont and like I said, no disrespect meant, but it isn't a practice you should carry out often haha.
Original post by Maccees
No disrespect to Trader2012, he would probably even agree with me, but shouldn't act upon trading advise from an online forum if you don't understand why you are doing what you are doing. At the very least, research the company before hand, look at recent news, reports and crap.

He has been right so far I know, but one day he could turn round and make a prediction that will funk you up, just for the lols. He probably wont and like I said, no disrespect meant, but it isn't a practice you should carry out often haha.

haha, don't worry, I won't be acting entirely on trading advice from an online forum....as I would look at it myself and use this predictions to spot patterns and learn etc.

and I do have a few friends who are TA/charters who I'd ask as well....
Lol, By the way monitor RRR and AEX as potential long term stocks. I don't have a set point at which you could buy, but if you're patient, do some research on them, they could turn out to be a worthwhile investment at some point in time!

Lets see how SUS fares today.
So I'm looking to get involved in Stock Trading, purely to supplement my absolutely minuscule income. I'll be doing a load of research on the basic mechanics over the next couple of days, but I'd also appreciate any tips/advice that people could give me. Also, what brokers do people recommend?
Original post by Roger Mexico
So I'm looking to get involved in Stock Trading, purely to supplement my absolutely minuscule income. I'll be doing a load of research on the basic mechanics over the next couple of days, but I'd also appreciate any tips/advice that people could give me. Also, what brokers do people recommend?

iii.co.uk seem to the be the cheapest I have seen, £10 a transaction, have a look at them.

share.com has a good demo account service for you to practice on, use that before you use real money.

Don't believe everything you read on online forums. To be fair, this one seems to be very good, but others (like the iii boards) tend to be full of people trying their best to manipulate others and come out with some b/s.

A good place to start is reading, I quite like http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1906659230/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1905641516&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=14ZKF4FSZEZYG9HJCT5F, he makes it fun to read and it's easy to understand.
Reply 6532
Original post by Maccees
iii.co.uk seem to the be the cheapest I have seen, £10 a transaction, have a look at them.

share.com has a good demo account service for you to practice on, use that before you use real money.

Don't believe everything you read on online forums. To be fair, this one seems to be very good, but others (like the iii boards) tend to be full of people trying their best to manipulate others and come out with some b/s.

A good place to start is reading, I quite like http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1906659230/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1905641516&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=14ZKF4FSZEZYG9HJCT5F, he makes it fun to read and it's easy to understand.

£10 a trade is the cheapest you have seen? The most expensive broker I've been with was £8 a trade :lol:
Original post by Noble.
£10 a trade is the cheapest you have seen? The most expensive broker I've been with was £8 a trade :lol:

Who's that with? Unless you mean share.com but I didn't really like that platform, who else was cheaper?
(edited 12 years ago)
We need to make a rule not to quote how much £££ we are buying/selling. Not cool, not clever.
Reply 6535
Original post by Maccees
Who's that with? Unless you mean share.com but I didn't really like that platform, who else was cheaper?

JPJShare, X-O are both £5.75/share.
Original post by Noble.
JPJShare, X-O are both £5.75/share.

Do you use them...what are they like?
Reply 6537
Original post by Maccees
Do you use them...what are they like?

I've used both, currently using JPJShare though. They're both execution only, but they both work fine and the customer service is good with both (I mean, you'll get a reply very quickly over email). I have also used Shareprice, who are really good, however, I was with them when their fee was £8, and given I wasn't trading at £500 it wasn't a big deal. However, recently I've been topping up GKP at £500 or so every month and the brokerage fee soon adds up so I just literally use the cheapest out there.
Original post by Noble.
I've used both, currently using JPJShare though. They're both execution only, but they both work fine and the customer service is good with both (I mean, you'll get a reply very quickly over email). I have also used Shareprice, who are really good, however, I was with them when their fee was £8, and given I wasn't trading at £500 it wasn't a big deal. However, recently I've been topping up GKP at £500 or so every month and the brokerage fee soon adds up so I just literally use the cheapest out there.

Ah will give them a look, cheers bud :top:
Might as well close off today now - poor day on the markets all round.

SUS peaked today at 792.5p representing a rise of 2.25% on yesterday's close.

I did not sell my shares in them today, but will dispose of them next week. There were no big trades in SUS today, and I suspect profit takers took hold as the share price is at 6 month highs.

Unfortunately, had I sold at 792.5 I would have only made a sum of circa £69, minus charges representing a small loss of £11.

So not too bad today considering the FTSE was down well over a percent, but certainly not great despite them announcing record results.

Will post my proposal for tomorrow later.

Quick Reply

Latest