The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viksta1000
I've been eyeing it it for a while now

its not moving in an upward direction, its purely sideways...a month or so back, RBS rocketed up 5-6% in a day when it was announced they were to resume dividend payments, but since then it climbed back down to the 23p mark, only for some more news to rocket it up once again
....although in terms of long-term punts...can't get much cheaper from here...keep an eye on it for hitting the 23p mark and then take the punt I'd say

Not sure it duck that low. Last time it was there was January. And I do not see them falling that much in the near future. Especially as we are still forcasted growth in the coming months.

I'm still thinking now.
Original post by Jeester
Not sure it duck that low. Last time it was there was January. And I do not see them falling that much in the near future. Especially as we are still forcasted growth in the coming months.

I'm still thinking now.

it hit a low of 22.43 on the 24th April...i'm sure it'll go back down for a re-test of that region...its also got very strong resistance at the 26p mark which even news of a possible arab takeover didn't manage to penetrate

I still think there's more news to come out of europe, and the US recovery has seemed to have diminished, as regard to RBS themselves, well profit is slowly but surely beginning to leak in once again, they just need to open-up-the-taps for the stock price to get above the 30p mark

its currently trading at around the 25.2 mark, approaching the resistance of 26p...I'd just say, keep an eye on it for the time-being, unless you don't mind holding onto a loss in the short-term
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jeester

I'm still thinking now.

you didn't happen to take the plunge last week did ya? at 25.2

RBS currently trading at 23.71!
Hi everyone, I turned 18 last week and was given about £300 for my birthday, I've always been interested in the Stock Market and thought now would be a good a time as any to give it a try, I have no idea if £300 is enough to invest, I also have no idea what the hell you're supposed to do, so if anybody could give me any advice, it would be very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 6664
Original post by alfredtehbutler
Hi everyone, I turned 18 last week and was given about £300 for my birthday, I've always been interested in the Stock Market and thought now would be a good a time as any to give it a try, I have no idea if £300 is enough to invest, I also have no idea what the hell you're supposed to do, so if anybody could give me any advice, it would be very much appreciated :smile:

I think you'll need more. With £300 invested, you'll need the share price to rise by 7.0-8.0% just to break even.

I use Nationwide's share dealing service. Most banks have a share dealing service so go on their websites and order an information pack just to get an idea about what to do.

Before you start however, I'd recommend you go onto a website like Google Finance/FT.com or Investopedia, give yourself a small sum of money and simulate yourself buying and selling different shares. It'll give you a heads up about how the stock market works and you'll see whether you're picking the right shares to invest in; it's better to loose all of your money in a simulation rather than in real life!
you didn't happen to take the plunge last week did ya? at 25.2

RBS currently trading at 23.71!

I did not. Though I am seriously considering it like unbelievably at this price.
I will probably take the plunge.

They reached 23.27!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jeester
I did not. Though I am seriously considering it like unbelievably at this price.
I will probably take the plunge.

They reached 23.27!

exactly...i told you to contain your enthusiasm and wait till it falls :biggrin: lol

I have a position of 4000 at 20.02 which i bought back in january, but the stock has been moving very cyclically which make it a good stock for swing trading, as well as a long-term punt

I'll be adding another 1500 if it falls to 22.5-23p tomorrow with the intention of selling at the 26p mark
Can someone please verify this for me... I'm getting confused!

UK share prices are listed in pence: VOD closed today at 171.30 i.e. £1.713) ?
whereas US share prices are listed in dollar and cents? AAPL is currently at 565.11 i.e. $565.11
exactly...i told you to contain your enthusiasm and wait till it falls :biggrin: lol

I have a position of 4000 at 20.02 which i bought back in january, but the stock has been moving very cyclically which make it a good stock for swing trading, as well as a long-term punt

I'll be adding another 1500 if it falls to 22.5-23p tomorrow with the intention of selling at the 26p mark

4000 shares of £?!s If so that's a lot of pounds! Wish I had that much to spend. The amount I have to invest seems to be falling by the day. I need it to be summer so I can earn some money.

And great call on the wait!
Original post by Jeester
4000 shares of £?!s If so that's a lot of pounds! Wish I had that much to spend. The amount I have to invest seems to be falling by the day. I need it to be summer so I can earn some money.

And great call on the wait!

4000 shares (around £800 at the time)...I wish I had £4000 to throw at RBS...sadly im just a humble student! :biggrin:
Reply 6670
i think BLVN at 70-80 is a steal, and XEL at a 90s is also a strong uk oilies

also RRL range resources will be a multi bager in 3-5 years at 10p, could be a £1 share hopefully
GKP went through 200p hitting 199.25p earlier, looks like it hit a lot of stops though. Currently around 200.5p...
Reply 6672
Original post by Maccees
GKP went through 200p hitting 199.25p earlier, looks like it hit a lot of stops though. Currently around 200.5p...

Nowhere near enough pain tho, looks like it only set off about 3m shares, when it hits 5-10m I would expect something to happen.
Reply 6673
Yeh I saw gkp fall below 200p. If it keeps falling, might be tempted. Its already undervalues imo tho.

Regarding rrl, whats going on? Read the rns today but nothing much on puntland front?
Reply 6674
Original post by vn2009
Yeh I saw gkp fall below 200p. If it keeps falling, might be tempted. Its already undervalues imo tho.

just my 2 pence but if everyone is long from 200p upwards it doesn't matter what the company is worth, the price is being dictated by the spike to 400p. I always place value at the top of the list when looking to invest but...not this time. Very tricky.
Reply 6675
I read GKP are planning a placement with a 160p placement price. They didn't want this news out, and are threatening the leaker with High Court. So I'd be wary about GKP.

XEL is ridiculous. Nearly £5k down on this stupid company, making my entire portfolio red. Want to sell and start again, but it seems a silly at such low levels.

Reply 6676
Original post by crcr
just my 2 pence but if everyone is long from 200p upwards it doesn't matter what the company is worth, the price is being dictated by the spike to 400p. I always place value at the top of the list when looking to invest but...not this time. Very tricky.

That for the insight man.

So what do you value gkp in your opinion, just curious to know :smile:
Reply 6677
Original post by Greg.
I read GKP are planning a placement with a 160p placement price. They didn't want this news out, and are threatening the leaker with High Court. So I'd be wary about GKP.

XEL is ridiculous. Nearly £5k down on this stupid company, making my entire portfolio red. Want to sell and start again, but it seems a silly at such low levels.

Am also holding a large papper loss in xel, so undervalued, the market is a complete joke at times.
Reply 6678
Just looked at spencer freemans twitter:

Spencer P R Freeman
@Spencer_Freeman

Talented Business Individual. Apologise to FSA/GKP for posting RESEARCH. No Longer allowed to post any Research on GKP. Will not say anything more on GKP.

Can anyone tell me what thats all about? :s-smilie:
Reply 6679
Original post by vn2009
Just looked at spencer freemans twitter:

Spencer P R Freeman
@Spencer_Freeman

Talented Business Individual. Apologise to FSA/GKP for posting RESEARCH. No Longer allowed to post any Research on GKP. Will not say anything more on GKP.

Can anyone tell me what thats all about? :s-smilie:

Ignore him, he's an idiot. He got in trouble with the FSA for posting drivel, and he's making out they intercepted on his plans to reveal market sensitive information. He started dropping names, saying certain people (including the CEO of Exxon) have been in contact with him and have told him information. He's has been wrong so many times already, yet people are still listening to him. When something he says doesn't pan out, he just deletes those posts - it's truly comical. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending