The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6940
Original post by fuzznbass
What brokers do you guys use ? can you recommend me any ?

I use TD waterhouse, good rates and nice people to do with when you have any problems!

Just thought I would also add, that personally I recommend a Buy for Lamprell.
They're at 89p today and are really undervalued due to poor management which has recently been changed. They are also so undervalued there is talk of a take over which will boost the price up high. Currently own over 20,000 shares which I bought at the low of 60p, am already in profit and will be looking for a peak of around £1.50 before selling. Should be more than enough to then put a deposit on a flat at uni and start off in life...
Original post by Beau168
I use TD waterhouse, good rates and nice people to do with when you have any problems!

They're at 89p today and are really undervalued due to poor management which has recently been changed. They are also so undervalued there is talk of a take over which will boost the price up high. Currently own over 20,000 shares which I bought at the low of 60p, am already in profit and will be looking for a peak of around £1.50 before selling. Should be more than enough to then put a deposit on a flat at uni and start off in life...

Cool thanks, I'll have a look into them
Reply 6942
Original post by Beau168

I've been watching Lamprell recently myself. But where have you heard this takeover talk? Whos the possible buyer?
Reply 6943
Original post by jt3120
I've been watching Lamprell recently myself. But where have you heard this takeover talk? Whos the possible buyer?

Have a read here....

http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/uae-lamprell-in-talks-with-mis-over-possible-takeover-bid/

In my opinion, an excellent long term stock. There order book is full for a good 1 and half years, and contracts are always coming up
Anyone here trade Asian equities? Asia - ex or Jpn specifically?
Hi, I don't know how lively this thread is. But over the past few days I've been looking into investing in fracking companies, Trican Well Service seems like a decent one to invest in at the moment. I could spare £500, as could one of my friends. We're thinking of pooling it together and investing a grand in maybe a couple of stocks over the 2-3 years until uni finishes.

Would any of you happen to have any comments on this?
Reply 6946
Good idea. But i wouldnt go with fracking companies. So much debate from governments whether its a safe extraction process. Can't really tell how safe current contracts are.
Original post by alfredtehbutler
Hi, I don't know how lively this thread is. But over the past few days I've been looking into investing in fracking companies, Trican Well Service seems like a decent one to invest in at the moment. I could spare £500, as could one of my friends. We're thinking of pooling it together and investing a grand in maybe a couple of stocks over the 2-3 years until uni finishes.

Good idea to invest, you don't have to pull out when uni finishes though, I am also looking at investing and once I start I won't ever fully pull out of the market
Reply 6948
Original post by alfredtehbutler

Perhaps not the best idea, just because fracking is highly controversial and risky. I would recommend looking at other industries to be honest, such as those based around agriculture. I'm currently investing long term in a number of potash companies, one of which could potentially be in the money early next year. All I would say is do a tremendous amount of research before committing, because as a student that is a fair amount of money. Only invest what you are prepared to lose, because it could go down as well as up :-)
Reply 6949
us fiscal cliff approaching. Unless some resolution is passed, may be a few days of red come 2013.
where do i invest!!!!!!
Reply 6951
Original post by United4prem
where do i invest!!!!!!

retailers and store chains may be a good bet. Boxing day sales went well apparently and nye is still around. Could make a few % of that.

Research though!
I'm just waiting for the new year to start investing again.
Reply 6953
A good time to invest guys, as soon as this fiscal problem is solved market will shoot straight up. Plus reports show that retail has been up, although at present not as much as last year.

My prediction is we'll be seeing the FTSE over 6000 by the end of Jan, if not in the coming weeks.
Reply 6954
Original post by Beau168
A good time to invest guys, as soon as this fiscal problem is solved market will shoot straight up. Plus reports show that retail has been up, although at present not as much as last year.

My prediction is we'll be seeing the FTSE over 6000 by the end of Jan, if not in the coming weeks.

Why the negative ratting...

Has anyone been looking at the market today, over 100 points up with the FTSE, being well over the 6000 mark! This due to the US sorting out the fiscal problem (well, trying to)

Also Lamprell, Jumped more than 15 pence up, over £1... I wonder if anyone on this forum took my advice about it when it was down at around 85p....
Reply 6955
Any of you lot still in GKP, RRL, HER or XEL....any thoughts for this year?
Reply 6956
Original post by vn2009

My thoughts?

Well SXX is very interesting, with PP being submitted in either the 2nd or 3rd week of January. 16 weeks after we should hear whether it has been approved. Potential for the SP to be close to £1 year ending. Quite a STRONG BUY at the minute for the long term investor.

Another share I currently hold is AGA, the share price has been rising steadily the past 2 months and I believe it has a lot of potential in the medium/long term.

GL
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6957
Original post by vn2009

Im still holding RRL and XEL but i don't expect much for 2013. Might be more promising into 2014.

What do you guys make of the sharehub's 2013 hotlist ?
I'm still holding on GKP, just wish my average wasn't 3.25 :lol:
Reply 6959
Original post by twin
Im still holding RRL and XEL but i don't expect much for 2013. Might be more promising into 2014.

What do you guys make of the sharehub's 2013 hotlist ?

RRL is a joke tbh, very dissappointed with PL strategy and where the share price is of now. XEL, i dont know whats happening about that....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending