The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yep always. Not all the time if i'm in the house but at night yeah.
Reply 81
We live in a rural area and always lock the door.

Having a Rottweiler is a plus, too.
Always. I can't imagine leaving it unlocked at any time.
Reply 83
we used to a lot more than we do now. If you do try to break in here now, well, when you hear the woofs, that'll be our two great big, very protective German shepherds, Faraday and Oucho(named after the cactus on cbeebies). If anyone comes to the door and knocks then they're there making a racket. Most burglars will knock on the door to see if there is someone in. If you are they'll tend to ask for directions etc. If they don't, they'll wish they did. A jaw which can close with over 1KN of force, is not to be messed around with. Truth be told though, they love the cats, they're great with kids too, they don't mind kids pulling them around, they just sit there and take it. Its quite amusing watching them have their ears pulled and sit there and take it when you know full well what they can do.
I always feel like, if I leave the house unoccupied and physically lock the front door, people could be watching. Me locking the front door is a clear signal that I'm going out and nobody is in, whereas leaving it unlocked gives the impression someone is in. I've called out false phrases to no-one on a few occasions. "Back in a minute!" etc. My neighbours probably think I'm nuts.
I always lock my doors if I'm leaving the house and at night - but I don't always lock the door when I'm in
Me and my family went away for 2 weeks on holiday and accidentally left the back door unlocked and nothing happned. I think we do lock up at night though.
Reply 87
usually lock the doors but sometimes am in bed and cant be assed gettin out to lock them and just go to sleep a stay in a rural area and touch wood weve not had any trouble in the area
I live in quite a safe place but we always lock our doors unless we're downstairs with the back door open for the dog for example.
At home, we always lock the door at night. It locks automatically with the Yale lock and then we have two little bolts that we pull across at night. When we go out, we also have another lock we use with the Yale one. Never thought anything of it - always seemed standard practice to me to lock the door at night.

At university, I lock my room door at night and the flat door if I am in alone. Don't tend to lock my room door during the day if I am around in the flat but do so when I go out. :smile:
Yes, even the front door which imo is a bit dumb. 1) you can't open it from the outside anyway 2) WTF are we going to do if our flat is on fire, feel around for where we put the keys?

However we do live in London and we are on the ground floor which my mum finds all the more terrifying, she thinks a rapist is going to try and climb through our bathroom window. But in nearly 20 years of her living in this flat it's never been burgled though so :s-smilie:.
Locked 24/7. I wouldn't risk it where I live. There's been 4 break-ins in the last 3 months alone.
Reply 92
I don't think there's been a break-in anywhere near me in 18 years haha, not that I've heard about anyway. We lock our doors at night most of the time, and mostly when we're out, but my brother's been known to forget on several occasions.
We have a door that automatically locks when it closes... but we double-lock it every night just in case anything happens.
Reply 94
It always baffles me when on shows like Desperate Housewives, they just casually leave the door unlocked when they leave the house, or don't lock the car door when they've parked. It's a TV show yes, but logic seems to have flown out of the window and they are all just asking to be burgled :p:

As for me, locked doors at night, and when I'm out. Honestly, you're the biggest idiot on this planet if you leave the front door unlocked when you're leaving the house unoccupied.

Latest

Trending

Trending