The Student Room Group

D.Phil in Computer Science

Hello Fellow TSR members,

I've been thinking tonight, after a little research, that I want to become a doctor of philosophy, with a PHD in Computer Science. Can I just ask, will I be favoured in a place at Oxbridge if I intend to carry on my studies right up up to my Masters and Phd?

Also, what kind of financial situation would I be committing myself to? I'm not rich and don't have my parents to support me.

Thanks.
Alex
You're not even at university yet. :lolwut:
Reply 2
alexdrans
Can I just ask, will I be favoured in a place at Oxbridge if I intend to carry on my studies right up up to my Masters and Phd?

No, they won't favour you. Most people don't do their Master/PhD at the uni they did their undergrad at anyway. In fact if you do apply I wouldn't say anything.
Can I ask why you are even considering it at this stage? Leave the consideration of postgrad until you actually are on the course or unless the career you want specifically requires one. There are several lists around the internet giving bad reasons to do a PhD eg. liking your supervisor, prestige, being able to call yourself Dr., cause you don't know what else to do etc.

As for funding, don't really know about comp. sci. but most Masters degrees require fees, although you can get bursaries etc. If you want a masters it is probably best to go for an extended undergraduate MSci or equivalent or the 1+3 MPhil/DPhil courses. It is quite common for biomedical/chemistry/physics etc. to have funded studentships which pay tuition fees and give you a stipend ( £14-20 thousand a year). Not sure about the situation in computer science though - if funded places are rarer it will be quite costly, with 3 more years accommodation and tuition fees and no time for a part time job.
Reply 3
K the Failure
You're not even at university yet. :lolwut:

But I know that I want to go as far as I can in what do.
alexdrans
But I know that I want to go as far as I can in what do.

baby steps, mate. concentrate on getting the basics down pat & finishing your undergrad studies with a good degree/grade 1st. you've still got a good 3-4 yrs to go still. then you can look into postgrad...& what exactly you want to be researching about CompSci at Masters/PhD level (as opposed to just knowing that you want to go up to that level).
Reply 5
alexdrans
I've been thinking tonight, after a little research, that I want to become a doctor of philosophy, with a PHD in Computer Science. Can I just ask, will I be favoured in a place at Oxbridge if I intend to carry on my studies right up up to my Masters and Phd?

I don't really understand this question, I'm afraid, because you haven't actually given any reason why they might favour you.:confused:
Reply 6
alexdrans
I've been thinking tonight, after a little research, that I want to become a doctor of philosophy, with a PHD in Computer Science....Wanting to learn Pascal and Delphi

You have not even learnt Pascal but have decided that you want to do a PhD ? Right.....:eek3: :cool:
maxPP
As for funding, don't really know about comp. sci. but most Masters degrees require fees, although you can get bursaries etc. If you want a masters it is probably best to go for an extended undergraduate MSci or equivalent or the 1+3 MPhil/DPhil courses. It is quite common for biomedical/chemistry/physics etc. to have funded studentships which pay tuition fees and give you a stipend ( £14-20 thousand a year). Not sure about the situation in computer science though - if funded places are rarer it will be quite costly, with 3 more years accommodation and tuition fees and no time for a part time job.

I would also recomend the undergrad Computer Science masters. In terms of funding, I think you would be mad to do a Computer Science PhD without funding, if you are even half suited to doing a PhD you will certainly be able to find funding.
Reply 8
Plans can change. I thought I wanted to do a PhD in psychology, got to uni and hated it. I'm now starting a masters in archaeology. Worry about it in a few years time =)

Latest

Trending

Trending