The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ninjalamb
I read an article once about an Abercrombie and Fitch employee with a prosthetic arm. During Winter they wore long sleeved t-shirts, but come summer they had to wear polos. She explained her false limb to her manager and asked if she could wear a cardigan.

She was forced to work in the stock room

if that's true that's disgusting. I mean I understand they want their employees to project a certain image and represent the brand with wearing certain clothes and stuff, but it's hardly like she was choosing it, and having a prosthetic arm is in no way something they should be ashamed of an employee having.
Original post by LoveErinxo
That's awful! Surely she has grounds for some kind of legal action in that case?

I think she won so much in the lawsuit that she'll probably never have to work another day in her life

Original post by LouLou92
if that's true that's disgusting. I mean I understand they want their employees to project a certain image and represent the brand with wearing certain clothes and stuff, but it's hardly like she was choosing it, and having a prosthetic arm is in no way something they should be ashamed of an employee having.

I'll google it now, it was in one of those embarrassing teenage magazines. You could see why she got the job too- bloody gorgeous.

she should have gone to work elsewhere
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1206802/The-young-student-prosthetic-arm-took--beat--global-fashion-giant-tells-story-humiliating-ordeal.html

okaaaaay it may be Daily Mail but still worth a read.

Also, major exaggeration: she won £9,000 in the case.
Original post by why.so.serious?

Why should she have to work elsewhere? She has just as much of a right to a job as any other person. You can't toss someone out of a job because they were born without an arm. :confused:
Reply 105
It's an awful truth but it's probably the case even if it's not an informal policy. Psychology studies have shown that we make unconscious positive assumptions about people based on their looks, holding better looking people more likely to be intelligent, out going, well off or as having more friends. When selling from a stall, more conventionally attractive people usually will be able to sell more (women especially), other factors being equal. Even if it's not a policy, with two equal job applicants, the more attractive of the two will hold the edge.
Why should she have to work elsewhere? She has just as much of a right to a job as any other person. You can't toss someone out of a job because they were born without an arm. :confused:

why should an organisation change their look/dress policy for one person?
Reply 107
Original post by amandacalifornia
Yep, the last time I was in there the manager went up to me and asked me if I wanted a job. I didn't exactly have my resume taped onto my face. Plus when I worked at Abercrombie they admitted that it was company policy. It's called "look policy."

bolloks
why should an organisation change their look/dress policy for one person?

Yes, because she is clearly the only person in the world ever to have a prosthetic limb.
Reply 109

she should have had the right to work without being discriminated against because of a false limb.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1206802/The-young-student-prosthetic-arm-took--beat--global-fashion-giant-tells-story-humiliating-ordeal.html

okaaaaay it may be Daily Mail but still worth a read.

Also, major exaggeration: she won £9,000 in the case.

at least she won the case though
Yes, because she is clearly the only person in the world ever to have a prosthetic limb.

working at A+F, probably yes.
working at A+F, probably yes.

You are an idiot.
My interview was them taking a picture of me, that was it...
she should have had the right to work without being discriminated against because of a false limb.

Surely you can also say that people have the right to work without being discriminated against for being ugly?

I mean, I can understand it's a bit unfair on the person with the prosthetic limb, but Hollister/Abercrombie are also unfair on people who aren't amazingly good looking.
Reply 114
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Surely you can also say that people have the right to work without being discriminated against for being ugly?

I mean, I can understand it's a bit unfair on the person with the prosthetic limb, but Hollister/Abercrombie are also unfair on people who aren't amazingly good looking.

yeah I agree with that too, I think if someone's capable of being good at the job they should be fairly considered not depending on how they look. i can understand why they have to wear certain style clothes and makeup though.
i think alot of clothes retail stores do it, my sister works at one and she has to go through a checklist when she arrives to make sure shes wearing nice clothes, has clear skin, conditioned hair etc. its a bit rediculous- they even went to the extent of asking one of the workers to change his appearance as he had slightly too much stubble in the facial/neck region....

tbh id probably be less intimidated to buy clothes from a store with average looking people, as long as the clothes are cool, its all good
I always feel ugly when I go in there, I mentioned it to my BF and he said he felt the same. The store in Newcastle is dark and far too hot, probably hot because the staff wear next to nothing. I went in last week and the girls were wearing shorts, in September? I also find it hard to find prices on lots of things and the staff are not very helpful (and really slow).
Reply 117
Original post by RainbowDoll
I always feel ugly when I go in there, I mentioned it to my BF and he said he felt the same. The store in Newcastle is dark and far too hot, probably hot because the staff wear next to nothing. I went in last week and the girls were wearing shorts, in September? I also find it hard to find prices on lots of things and the staff are not very helpful (and really slow).

I'd say a lot of staff in there are average although you do get some stunning girls in there. Also It's not as hard to get jobs in there as people think, I've been asked if I was looking for work in there twice and I don't exactly even shop there that often. I do agree that staff are useless most of the time and the lack of light can be a bit frustrating at times. Also I find that the whole fake talk that they have to do when you enter leave or buy something is not necessary
Reply 118
Yep.

Henleys and Armani Exchange (B'ham) also only hire people who the manager deems attractive. I remember having to attach photographs to my CV's when I applied for part time work there.

I mean, I got both interviews and one job which I later turned down, so I guess I can't be that personally offended by the system.
Original post by st_23
I'd say a lot of staff in there are average although you do get some stunning girls in there. Also It's not as hard to get jobs in there as people think, I've been asked if I was looking for work in there twice and I don't exactly even shop there that often. I do agree that staff are useless most of the time and the lack of light can be a bit frustrating at times. Also I find that the whole fake talk that they have to do when you enter leave or buy something is not necessary

I think it's because the girls are pretty but also look really natural. But then again it's so dark you probably can't see that they have heaps of foundation on to cover any blemishes.

Latest