The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup that's true.

Unlucky dude.
Reply 2
Certainly looks that way. Same goes for Jack Wills etc.
Reply 3
They're right to do it.

Would YOU buy your clothes from a fat ugly skank?
I know I wouldn't.
yeah its company employment policy. true story :yep:
Reply 5
They do it on purpose, since all their models originally work in their stores. If they chose ugly people, they'd get ugly models.
MeanMachine
or am i going crazy?:mad:

Yep, the last time I was in there the manager went up to me and asked me if I wanted a job. I didn't exactly have my resume taped onto my face. Plus when I worked at Abercrombie they admitted that it was company policy. It's called "look policy."

EDIT: People, chill out. I realize I wasn't clear but my point, two years ago, was that they do actually target employees based on their market segment's look/style. This is because retail workers in their store are officially called store models. I don't have any delusions about an actual modeling career and was not trying to brag.

I'm definitely not endorsing this policy. Neither did I accept the job.

Edit #2: Seriously? More negs? I'm getting so sick of this. I posted this in August 2009. I don't even shop there anymore and haven't for years. How bitter are you? I don't understand how a two-line anecdote and a joke I probably spent about 20 seconds on describing company policy pisses people off this much. What, do you want me to tell you all my flaws and say how ugly I am? Get over it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Hey my name is martiza. I live in london and I am looking for a hollister store not far from stratford. Can anybody help me? I'm 5"11 part time model tall but with. Nice curves
Original post by amandacalifornia
Yep, the last time I was in there the manager went up to me and asked me if I wanted a job. I didn't exactly have my resume taped onto my face. Plus when I worked at Abercrombie they admitted that it was company policy. It's called "look policy."

Is that really true? I always asked myself that question when I'm going into some Hollister store - and to be honest, I actually don't really like to go to Hollister anymore or wear their stuff. It's frightening :eek: Everyone is good looking - I'm feeling like the most ugliest person..

But I'm wondering: do they tell you right away when you're applying there? And what if you gain weight or something like that during the time you're employed with Hollister?
Reply 9
My girlfriend works there :biggrin:
Original post by Beadrope
They're right to do it.

I know I wouldn't.

Most people who shop there have no problem buying clothes from pretty skanks...
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Most people who shop there have no problem buying clothes from pretty skanks...

thats because pretty skanks are far nicer to look at than ugly skanks
Reply 12
It's part of the brand's 'aesthetic', if you see attractive people having a good time wearing their clothes, then it may make you more likely to buy them as you associate the brand with attractive people.
They hire people that look 'naturally' good. I.e good skin, non over dyed hair, slender/slim, nice teeth, non-surgically enhanced appearence etc.etc. because their image was all about 'natural' before.

You won't ever find someone with as much make up as those considered good looking like Rihanna, Cheryl Cole etc. because they don't fit the bill.
Reply 14
course they only hire good looking people you tit why would they want to advertise their clothes as being worn by jacamo-esque lardy bastards
The people who work there are supposed to look like they've just walked off the beach. I don't really see it myself, but the basics mean extremely natural hair and make up, and usually wearing the signature Hollister 'layered' look... as well as the unofficial looking like a pretentious **** look :wink:

Sure, there are so many stories of people walking around shopping centers and being recruited by Hollister and asked would they like a job - simply on the basis of what they look like. You'll also find that although they do have people of all nationalities working there, it is rare for any of the girls to be above a UK Size 8/10 (in fact, I've never seen anyone bigger), and the guys are usually quite muscley.
Reply 16
It's discrimination, you could take them to court and win quite easily with a half intelligent lawyer, it's not true in America, they were a right bunch of munters in there but I still felt silly- I came from a water park and had no boxers on so was trying their jeans on commando! :rolleyes:

But in the UK yes, you have to be model material to be a sales assistant- DISCRIMINATION!
Reply 17
Original post by Beadrope
They're right to do it.

I know I wouldn't.

This.

I want anyone selling me anything to be at least twice as good looking as me.
Original post by Wattsy
It's discrimination, you could take them to court and win quite easily with a half intelligent lawyer, it's not true in America, they were a right bunch of munters in there but I still felt silly- I came from a water park and had no boxers on so was trying their jeans on commando! :rolleyes:

But in the UK yes, you have to be model material to be a sales assistant- DISCRIMINATION!

I'm not sure, but I think they're hired as models who sell things, not as shop assistants.
Reply 19
Original post by Ice_Queen
I'm not sure, but I think they're hired as models who sell things, not as shop assistants.

Ahh, loophole. That's why they haven't been bent over double and spanked then. Interesting, I like Hollister and A&F but their ethics are bloody awful.