The Student Room Group

Economics course - application dilema (need some good advice)

Basically, my actual A level grades were a whole lot better than my predicted grades.
Predicted - Biology:A Physics:B Maths:B
Actual - Biology:A Physics:A Maths:A AS-chemistry: D

Meaning that i am being advised to apply to some more reputable universities.
However, everywhere is full!!! :frown:
So im considering cancelling my application and applying to some different universities next year.

Universities i will apply to (all for the Economics course):
-Warwick [~13 applicants per place]
-Durham [~7 applicants per place]
-Bath [~4 applicants per place]
-Bristol [~20 applicants per place]
-Nottingham [Unsure]

I have been calling around the universities and am finding it quite difficult to gauge the risk i will be taking applying to these universities, with the chance of being rejected by them all. As i have no real idea how competitive it will be, as it's difficult to calculate the competition just from the number of applicants per place.
(assuming my personal statement is reasonable)

Could some kind person please help me out here and give me some idea what chance i have of being accepted by any one of these universities, for the economics course?
I would think that for Bath, Durham, Nottingham, you will probably get an offer, you may like to take up an as as well, maybe further maths or economics. Warwick I am not sure as it is super competitive and there entry requirement do vary.. I would pick up an AS in further maths or eco and apply to warwick, durham and probz nottingham, UCL and a lower uni
Well the fact that you've already achieved those good grades should help, but aside from maths those subjects don't really complement economics well, you have to write a fair few essays so they would probably be looking for that skill. Doing something in your gap year to show how serious you are about doing economics would help.
I know that a lot of people have struggled to get into Warwick this year for economics with a levels of further maths, economics, physics all A. So warwick may be difficult but I would give it a go
Reply 5
where are you meant to be going?
Reply 6
The_Goose
where are you meant to be going?

Essex
Reply 7
stevan=mc^2
Essex

have you gone off it?
Reply 8
The_Goose
have you gone off it?

As in, have i told them i dont plan to attend?
No

I havn't decided what i'm going to do yet.
Reply 9
stevan=mc^2
As in, have i told them i dont plan to attend?
No

I havn't decided what i'm going to do yet.

as in did you stop liking the university?
Reply 10
As you lot are possible economics i foight i might ask for your opinion, sorry if it different to what your talking about.

tomorrow is my enrolment day for college. my school does not do further maths or economics

so far i'm doing
maths
english lit
r.e

and what should my last option be HELLLP PLZ
I NEED YOUR OPINION ASAP thanks
Miss I
As you lot are possible economics i foight i might ask for your opinion, sorry if it different to what your talking about.

tomorrow is my enrolment day for college. my school does not do further maths or economics

so far i'm doing
maths
english lit
r.e

and what should my last option be HELLLP PLZ
I NEED YOUR OPINION ASAP thanks

Physics but teach yourself further maths.
Reply 12
stevan=mc^2
Basically, my actual A level grades were a whole lot better than my predicted grades.
Predicted - Biology:A Physics:B Maths:B
Actual - Biology:A Physics:A Maths:A AS-chemistry: D

Meaning that i am being advised to apply to some more reputable universities.
However, everywhere is full!!! :frown:
So im considering cancelling my application and applying to some different universities next year.

Universities i will apply to (all for the Economics course):
-Warwick [~13 applicants per place]
-Durham [~7 applicants per place]
-Bath [~4 applicants per place]
-Bristol [~20 applicants per place]
-Nottingham [Unsure]

I have been calling around the universities and am finding it quite difficult to gauge the risk i will be taking applying to these universities, with the chance of being rejected by them all. As i have no real idea how competitive it will be, as it's difficult to calculate the competition just from the number of applicants per place.
(assuming my personal statement is reasonable)

Could some kind person please help me out here and give me some idea what chance i have of being accepted by any one of these universities, for the economics course?

Check out the sticky threads in the economics forum.
what uni is your current place at?

You have some chance at the TAELT top 11 most competitive unis but not a great one as significant weaknesses:
i)No Economics
ii)3 A-levels
ii)4th AS-level is a D
i.e. I don't see anything stand out in your application.

If you did re-apply I would suggest 4 of the TAELT top 11 and 1 outside. i.e. want 1 safe option.
Reply 13
Okay, how many applicants per space for Birmingham Uni and LSE Economics? Quote me.
Reply 14
I think your best bet would be to apply for one of Southampton, Birmingham, or York, and then four top places.
Reply 15
c0nfus3d
Okay, how many applicants per space for Birmingham Uni and LSE Economics? Quote me.

Not sure what this is in reference to but admissions stats for the top 11 uni (obviously including LSE) are in post 1 of TAELT 2010.

stevan=mc^2
Essex

I can see why re-applying seems attractive.

Latest

Trending

Trending