The Student Room Group

Remarks

Ok so I know about 5/5 people who have been 1-4 UMS away from reaching their uni offer. Ok out of these people 5/5 got the SAME MARK back on their remark.

I swear its all bull... Too many university applicants, not enough spaces. If you didn't make the grade you didn't make the grade because they can't fit you in.

I got all As on my modules except one which was a low C... I end up with a B. 3 out of the 5 people had got Es on one paper which lead them to get a B after getting straight As all year, it's corrupt.

I don't see how an examiner should determine my future. All I needed was 3 marks. It was my lowest mark ever and it came back the same. HOW!!!!!!!!
It's all silly sometimes. My business studies went from a low C to an A at AS, UMS was around 50%, went up to 93% or something silly.
Exams are just a joke now. It's not about intellect- it's about playing the game.
Reply 3
Its always been dodgy; for decades marking has never been anywhere near 100% accurate. And now there are political and economical motivations behind fiddling with people's marks. It's ridiculous that universities should put so much stock in A-Level results when really the system is nowhere near a fair or accurate system of judging someone's diligence, intelligence or capability at a degree course.

The sad part is that so many people's futures depend on a system that is far too corrupt and ineffective for its purpose.
Reply 4
Thank you. I'm getting my paper back and i'm getting checked over by 4 different economics teachers. If it really is worthy of an A, I think a law suit is available seeing as being an Economist i can see that dropping from a top 5 uni to a top 30 is really going to damage not only my future job prospects but also my mental health.

My remarks have always stayed the same. It's completely against me. I refuse to believe that out of 120, they did not falter one mark from the other marker.

Theres like a 0.8% chance that would happen.
I'm still waiting on my Priority Remark, I was one UMS point off an A. It's ridiculous, I got straight As in all my English Literature modules for AS and all of a sudden for A2 I got Bs and a C in my Lit modules.

What's more ironic is that I obtaned a Distinction in AE for the SAME subject! Crazy and utterly wrong! So, still waiting.
Isherwood
Thank you. I'm getting my paper back and i'm getting checked over by 4 different economics teachers. If it really is worthy of an A, I think a law suit is available seeing as being an Economist i can see that dropping from a top 5 uni to a top 30 is really going to damage not only my future job prospects but also my mental health.

My remarks have always stayed the same. It's completely against me. I refuse to believe that out of 120, they did not falter one mark from the other marker.

Theres like a 0.8% chance that would happen.

I have 66/120 for my Unifying concepts in chem, which suggests that almost half of my work was ****? I can't believe it, I hope there was a huge clerical mistake. I always had A's and B's for Chem, and seeing a D in one of the modules was a shock :eek: :cry:
Isherwood
Ok so I know about 5/5 people who have been 1-4 UMS away from reaching their uni offer. Ok out of these people 5/5 got the SAME MARK back on their remark.

I swear its all bull... Too many university applicants, not enough spaces. If you didn't make the grade you didn't make the grade because they can't fit you in.

I got all As on my modules except one which was a low C... I end up with a B. 3 out of the 5 people had got Es on one paper which lead them to get a B after getting straight As all year, it's corrupt.

I don't see how an examiner should determine my future. All I needed was 3 marks. It was my lowest mark ever and it came back the same. HOW!!!!!!!!

Your implication is that there is a huge conspiracy theory and that the universities are in league with the exam boards to stop people getting grades? Firstly, I don't see any benefit to the exam boards in doing this - incompetent perhaps, but corrupt is an altogether more serious allegation and not one that can be proved or disproved by the likes of us. As such I do not see any further value of this thread and so I am closing it.

Latest

Trending

Trending