The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Disappointed with accommodation

Hi there I really dont know what to do

I have been given accommodation which is en-suite which what I applied for but instead of giving me a single room I am in a twin room.

I really don't want to share a room as I like my space etc. I was wondering what to do, do you think its possible to swap accommodation say with someone who wants an en-suite but doesnt have one and doesnt mind being with another person in a twinned room.

I dont know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

OP: Ring up the accommodation office and ask if they can change it, if they can't then you might be a able to swap with another student who maybe wants a twin room :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
yes, i'd recommend calling them tomorrow morning or whatever so at least they are aware that you're not pleased with your allocation.
hopefully they'll be able to sort it for you :smile:
Reply 3
ugh, I feel for you, I would hate that! I'm the kind of person that wants to kill other people if I don't get my own space! Hope you sort it out xx
Reply 4
one of the girls who ended up on my corridor in penny c whos now coincidently my best friend was originally put in a lopes shared room. her mum can be quite a pushy person and rang up and complained and got it changed to penny c... its obviously a very busy time for them so i wouldn't try and be too forceful, but put up a good enough reason for it and you might be in luck. if not, don't fret... people do drop out weeks into term/some people never even bother starting/people find their halls too expensive thus move into cheaper... so basically rooms do come up, you've just gotta make sure you're top of the accomodation office's list when this happens. don't completely rule out the option of sharing though - lots of the people sharing in my first year are still really good friends so it could work out well, you never know! xx
Reply 5
Hello, i'm going in to my second year at Exeter now and was DEVASTATED when i found out i had a twin room in Mardon last year. I rang up etc etc and all they could offer me was lafrowda. However - it will be fine :smile: I got on with my roomate ok, so not always amazingly but well enough, and its even quite nice sometimes to have someone to chat to when everyone else is busy. You just get used to it!!! And i'm still friends with my roomate now, have chatted to her etc in the summer. Some people are really lucky and become best friends with their roomates even. Also people do change halls/drop out so often single rooms in your halls do become available - you can always swap later on!! Which halls have you been allocated?? :smile: x
Reply 6
I've been offered Lafrowda Standard instead of enhanced, I'm really gutted :frown:
I rang up and they said that they can put you on a waiting list but you still have to move into the allocated accommodation, they can't change your offer.
Reply 7
jo.
I've been offered Lafrowda Standard instead of enhanced, I'm really gutted :frown:
I rang up and they said that they can put you on a waiting list but you still have to move into the allocated accommodation, they can't change your offer.

Chin up, its not THAT bad!!! I've stayed in Lafrowda standard once before and it really is ok. I mean its definately basic and not as nice as enhanced, but its fine, and the people there seem nice and down to earth. x
mike41
Hi there I really dont know what to do

I have been given accommodation which is en-suite which what I applied for but instead of giving me a single room I am in a twin room.

I really don't want to share a room as I like my space etc. I was wondering what to do, do you think its possible to swap accommodation say with someone who wants an en-suite but doesnt have one and doesnt mind being with another person in a twinned room.

I dont know what to do :frown:

I'm in a twin room as well, instead of a single. My dad rang up and basically they will put you on a waiting list for another single room. I got offered a single room in St Lukes I think, but thats a 30-40 minute walk from campus so I was like noooo thanks!

It's pretty rubbish but I guess they just have more applicants than they do single rooms. I think they should allocate accommodation on a first come first served basis - I applied on the first day that you could apply and still get a twin room!
Reply 9
Ring up and get put on the waiting list.

Chin up ok? One of my friends was in the same position as you. She got plonked in a lopes shared room and was totally gutted.

However, she actually found it no problem. The room they got was MASSIVE.
IF you really can't bear it a couple of months in, say you hated your room mate or it was seriously making u consider dropping out or something - then u can call the accomodation office. They won't be as busy and people drop out throughout the year - so spaces may come available to you.
Are the waiting lists already open then? That's not very fair on the people who haven't heard yet.

Ohh and what accommodation did you all apply for? I'm guessing all the rooms in holland, penny c and birks (the three I applied for) have gone and if they're already giving out shared accommodation for vthe other catered halls... There's no way I'll get a single. :frown:
Reply 11
Ohh and what accommodation did you all apply for? I'm guessing all the rooms in holland, penny c and birks (the three I applied for) have gone and if they're already giving out shared accommodation for vthe other catered halls... There's no way I'll get a single.

I don't think many people at all have heard from Holland or Penny C yet, the majority have been Lawfrowda, Mardon, Lopes and Hope. As far as I can tell from here at least.
Last Summer's Dream
Are the waiting lists already open then? That's not very fair on the people who haven't heard yet.

Ohh and what accommodation did you all apply for? I'm guessing all the rooms in holland, penny c and birks (the three I applied for) have gone and if they're already giving out shared accommodation for vthe other catered halls... There's no way I'll get a single. :frown:

I phoned up and whether you get a single or twin room is done by a lottery system - not first come first served. So don't worry - I think the halls you have applied for have less twin rooms anyway and more singles.
Reply 13
Once the other person moves out of the twin room you get a massive room all to yourself.
lmcorr
Once the other person moves out of the twin room you get a massive room all to yourself.

That would be awesome... How likely is it that they will move? And how is it decided who has to move somewhere else, and who is left with the massive room?
Reply 15
.:Emma:.
Hello, i'm going in to my second year at Exeter now and was DEVASTATED when i found out i had a twin room in Mardon last year. I rang up etc etc and all they could offer me was lafrowda. However - it will be fine :smile: I got on with my roomate ok, so not always amazingly but well enough, and its even quite nice sometimes to have someone to chat to when everyone else is busy. You just get used to it!!! And i'm still friends with my roomate now, have chatted to her etc in the summer. Some people are really lucky and become best friends with their roomates even. Also people do change halls/drop out so often single rooms in your halls do become available - you can always swap later on!! Which halls have you been allocated?? :smile: x

So obviously your personal space wasn't *that* important to you then if you still went for Mardon twin over Lafrowda single...I know where I would have had a better, less stressful time :tongue:

jo.

Don't worry mate - I had plenty of friends who were in Standard and loved it :smile: I was in Enhanced but am 100% sure that I would have had an equally awesome time in Standard :smile:

electricfeel--
I'm in a twin room as well, instead of a single. My dad rang up and basically they will put you on a waiting list for another single room. I got offered a single room in St Lukes I think, but thats a 30-40 minute walk from campus so I was like noooo thanks!

It's pretty rubbish but I guess they just have more applicants than they do single rooms. I think they should allocate accommodation on a first come first served basis - I applied on the first day that you could apply and still get a twin room!

wut? no it isn't...if you're on crutches then maybe...
Last Summer's Dream

What else can they do? Say "oh hang on, call back on so and so date when all the accommodation allocation has finished?" I'm sure that wouldn't go down very well with you if you'd been allocated a room that you weren't happy with.

Also, just because people are being allocated twin rooms, that doesn't mean that all the singles are gone. I can't explain the system to you because I'm not sure of how it works myself, but I BET that people are still getting offers for Holland, Penny C, Birks later on in the process. They certainly don't fill up all the "best" halls at once. They try and place people strategically. Everyone may not get their 1st or 2nd choice, but the accomm office does try and make sure that everyone ends up in their choices by at least catered/self-catered and then by standard/ensuite/enhanced. Don't be pessimistic. Wait until you get your offer, then worry about it if you're unhappy with your allocation.
Reply 17
Angelil
So obviously your personal space wasn't *that* important to you then if you still went for Mardon twin over Lafrowda single...I know where I would have had a better, less stressful time :tongue:

I fell in love with Mardon, so I was not going to move - the view is AMAZING. Plus these things are character building :smile: despite my roomate and i having some differences, i wouldn't change it for the world, if anything its changed me for the better. x
Reply 18
.:Emma:.

I fell in love with Mardon, so I was not going to move - the view is AMAZING. Plus these things are character building :smile: despite my roomate and i having some differences, i wouldn't change it for the world, if anything its changed me for the better. x

I think people tend to feel like that about a lot of the buildings with twin rooms - they tend to be a bit quirkier and more interesting architecturally, and to have a really friendly atmosphere (p'raps because of the twin rooms, because everyone makes an effort to get along?) Mardon, especially, I've only ever heard good things about.
Reply 19
Persipan
I think people tend to feel like that about a lot of the buildings with twin rooms - they tend to be a bit quirkier and more interesting architecturally, and to have a really friendly atmosphere (p'raps because of the twin rooms, because everyone makes an effort to get along?) Mardon, especially, I've only ever heard good things about.

Yeah maybe you're right :smile: Mardon is SUCH a close hall, like the formals and everything were always so nice and intimate, everyone gets along, its almost like a family :smile: esp with the common room and library and everything x

Latest

Trending

Trending