The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Quequeeg
Really? Which one would that be that isnt a brookes bus? As far as Im aware you can get the U5 into town and change onto the U1 there, or the U5 round to gipsy lane and change onto the U1. It makes an odd kind of horseshoe route. Otherwise youre right, theres an early morning 10 that goes in the same direction towards town. The U1 goes to the Harcourt campus. 50 minutes is possibly a little optimistic, id say more like an hour and five. Im not entirely sure on the bus pass scheme this year, but in previous years carrying one essentially enables you to get on any bus in the city to any destination for a quid. Im not entirely sure on the direct bus thing, though. In the morning and in the evening there used to be one specific U5 that went to and from Crescent/Paul Kent and Wheatley, and I think there might be one to Harcourt as well.

I'd suggest you ring either Hazey on 01865 484790 or Tim on 01865 484786. Hazey is the student union student welfare officer and Tim is commercial development. Of the two Tim is probably your better bet for clarification on the bus timetables since his predecessor last year was responsible (I think) for changing the bus franchise from stagecoach (utter *****!) to the local Oxford Bus Company.

Moving the main campus is possible, but not until about four weeks have passed. Enquire at the student accomodation office when you pick up your keys.

God, I thought even 50 minutes was bad but over an hour... Ugh. I LIVE that far away from Oxford. Yeah it was the number 10 bus that the journey planner showed going into town in the morning. I don't see how I can even be expected to travel that much on a daily basis :/ The hall allocation process is actually ******* ridiculous.

I have Hazey added on facebook so I'll just ask him on there I guess. Sigh.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 21
50 minutes.......try 2+ hours, I didn't get any halls and I live in Milton Keynes. I would have to set off at 6.45 to get to Oxford at 8:50 and then it will be another 2+ hours back, and this is the quickest way, its 3 hours on the train. There is no way I'm going do that every day.
Reply 22
Thanks for answering my other question :smile:

Sorry, got another!
I saw there is a bus for Paul Kent Halls... is it direct from Headington Campus and how long would it take?
So we'd have to buy a bus pass for the year to use it?
Thanks.
Reply 23
sarahqu
Hey, thanks for answering questions for us - it's really nice of you.
I've been put into Crescent halls and my course is based at harcourt hill. I've been doing some investigating online and a journey planner has told me that I'll have to do upto about 50 minutes of travelling to get there, on two seperate buses. One of which is not part of the brookes bus scheme :/ Do you know if there is a direct bus that goes there which is a brookes bus, and whether i'll be able to use the bus pass I get from the university on the other bus?
Also - is there ANY chance of me being able to move to the main campus? :/

Hi i have been put in Harcourt hill but my course is based in headington campus. The halls at Harcourt hall look pretty impressive, have a look on the website, but like you i would prefer if my accomo was nearer to my campus. My first choice was cresent hall. Would you consider a swap?? please let me know, i would seriously appreciate it. xx
Reply 24
Dancer991
Thanks for answering my other question :smile:

Sorry, got another!
I saw there is a bus for Paul Kent Halls... is it direct from Headington Campus and how long would it take?
So we'd have to buy a bus pass for the year to use it?
Thanks.

The same bus goes to Paul Kent and Crescent halls, and reasonably direct from the headington campus. Takes about twenty minutes, Id guess.

Bus passes are included in the cost of accomodation in first year, but to everyone else theyre about £220 odd.
Reply 25
aninache
Hi i have been put in Harcourt hill but my course is based in headington campus. The halls at Harcourt hall look pretty impressive, have a look on the website, but like you i would prefer if my accomo was nearer to my campus. My first choice was cresent hall. Would you consider a swap?? please let me know, i would seriously appreciate it. xx

I've had about 3 people offer me to swap to harcourt and atm i'm really undecided about it as I don't want to live in catered accomodation and would rather travel than have to pay an extra thousand pound for food I just won't eat.. If I do change my mind after arriving in Oxford then I'll let you know as well as all of the other people who have asked, to see if you still wanna swap. I spoke to the accomodation office today though and I spoke to a girl who in her first year was in the same situation as me and she said it doesnt take upto an hour to get to harcourt and that it is a reasonable commute so thats made me feel more inclined to give it a shot at crescent, and if I can't hack it then I will definately consider swapping :smile:
Reply 26
sarahqu
I've had about 3 people offer me to swap to harcourt and atm i'm really undecided about it as I don't want to live in catered accomodation and would rather travel than have to pay an extra thousand pound for food I just won't eat.. If I do change my mind after arriving in Oxford then I'll let you know as well as all of the other people who have asked, to see if you still wanna swap. I spoke to the accomodation office today though and I spoke to a girl who in her first year was in the same situation as me and she said it doesnt take upto an hour to get to harcourt and that it is a reasonable commute so thats made me feel more inclined to give it a shot at crescent, and if I can't hack it then I will definitely consider swapping :smile:

hey, thanks for replying . But yer if u do decide to change your mind it would seriously mean a lot if you could let me know. thanks again!
Hi
How long does the brooke's bus take to get to the Marston road site from the train station.
Also on our freshers time table it says enrolment on Wednesday, but doesn't give a time for us to get there, what time would you suggest? Does it take long if you have already done it online?
Thanks
Reply 28
On one of the forms sent it asks for what type of Brookeskey I want. Which one should I tick? I'm at Harcourt Hill.
Reply 29
Pointandclickaddict
Hi
How long does the brooke's bus take to get to the Marston road site from the train station.
Also on our freshers time table it says enrolment on Wednesday, but doesn't give a time for us to get there, what time would you suggest? Does it take long if you have already done it online?
Thanks

Train station to marston road, or the reverse? About twenty minutes to half an hour depending on which way you go. To be honest Im not even sure there is a direct route from marston to the train station since its not somewhere ive ever had to catch a bus to. Id base it on getting a bus from marston road into town and walking from the center to the station. its not that far, on the whole.

Im not too sure on the enrolment thing. In my experience if youve enrolled online then you dont need to go to the main hall, but that was as a returning student. I think as a fresher you still need to go to get your brookes student ID card sorted, but if I were you id ring up and check with the academic affairs office. Time wise, again, as I remember, you get told what time to turn up.

AzureRay
On one of the forms sent it asks for what type of Brookeskey I want. Which one should I tick? I'm at Harcourt Hill.

No idea. The brookes key thing is a new development on previous years but as far as I know you basically have the option of one semester at £110 and two semester at £220 odd. Go for the more expensive one if you plan to be travelling around a lot. I certainly will be.
AzureRay

If you have the same form I do, then I'm guessing either the Annual Pass or "other first year in halls" as all the others seem to be for specific courses.
Reply 31
I am going into Clive Booth and have been told to arive at 4.30 [my surname begins with T], I'd rather turn up early. Will they mind?
Reply 32
They shouldnt mind too terribly. At the very worst, what are they going to do? Tell you to go away and drive around for a few hours and come back later?

Since freshers week begins tommorow, I thought Id wish everyone the very best of luck with moving in, have fun and try and take everything with an open mind. Im working on the safety bus tommorow night, and working at Cheney during the day. My name is Chris Pounds (Poundsey on the shirt) and I am a Freshers Volunteer.

See you around the Uni. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending