The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be doing my MA so I can qualify as an archivist.
The first two.
Reply 3
I'm studying for my MA so I can go for a career in research. It worked as I have a job waiting for me for when I finish my MA.
Reply 4
It's a requirement (the MA) for PhD funding - I see it and it has been the necessary evil to get where I want to be!
Reply 5
In order of importance for me:

- To improve my career prospects ( either in industry or in academia )
- Because I enjoyed doing my undergraduate.
- To study abroad.

I feel that there are lots more opportunities in my field - Chemistry - in the UK than in my homecountry, Spain.
Reply 6
I feel that too many people have undergraduate degrees these days, so I felt that I wanted to do a master's in order to stand out/differentiate. Changing subject to study linguistics was also something that I was interested in, as well as being relevant to my potential career, and in choosing my master's universities I deliberately chose universities that were better-known abroad than my undergraduate university, since I was going to be moving abroad afterwards. And not to mention enjoying study :tongue:
Reply 7
Improve career prospects and I really enjoyed the modules I studied for Undergraduate
I decided to go straight into a PhD rather than doing a Masters first because...
a) I didn't have the money to do a masters, and it's nice to be getting paid for a change.
b) None of the masters courses I could find really interested me that much.
c) People kept telling me it'd be a waste of time and money as I wouldn't need one to do a PhD

I chose the area that I did because it's something I enjoyed in my course, it'll use both of the subjects I studied at undergrad level and I'll also be moving into areas I haven't looked at before. I wasn't too fussed about finding one in the exact specific field I wanted to stay in for the rest of my life as most people advised me that there'd be some scope for moving a bit in postdoc.

Finally, 6 months in McGill? Yes please.

Edit: And becoming a "doctor"... ooh yes!
Reply 9
I'm studying for a postgraduate degree for a couple of reasons:

1. I love the subject area
2. I love being a student
3. Having a masters will allow me to teach at community colleges in the US
4. I do believe that it makes you a more desirable prospective employee if you have a masters rather than just a bachelors.
Reply 10
re: 2 - that was actually one of the reasons I stopped where I did! I loved studying but hated the student lifestyle :frown:
I'm really interested in the subject, and I think in that particular field it is hard to get a decent paying, long term job without a PhD. I strangely like studying and can see myself as a researcher/academic one day I suppose!
Reply 12
So I can actually get a decent job.
Hoping to improve my career prospects, and because I do still have a genuine interest in the subject area.
Reply 14
Various reasons.
I enjoyed my undergraduate degree and did well in it, so I hope that that will continue on to PhD level. Also, as someone else has said, everyone has Bachelors degrees nowadays, so I want to stand out somehow with this PhD. Another reason is security. I'm pretty much guaranteed 3 years funding as long as the quality of my work is up to scratch. I also find the topic very interesting, and I get on well with the current PhD students and supervisors I would be working with.
Also, I've no idea what I want to do as a career, so I might as well put my time towards something constructive.
Reply 15
My own amuseument.
Reply 16
A dare.
I need to do a Masters to qualify as a librarian.
AbsintheFairy
I need to do a Masters to qualify as a librarian.

! Are you doing a librarianship?? I have a few friends on my course doing that, good on you! :smile:

My course is similar to yours I think, but less extensive as I'm not 100% crazy on being a librarian per say, but would love to work at a library :smile: Are you gonna do volunteer work too? I'm trying to organise a place for me to do some in December! How much placement do you have to do on your course out of curiosity? xx
danni_bella
! Are you doing a librarianship?? I have a few friends on my course doing that, good on you! :smile:

My course is similar to yours I think, but less extensive as I'm not 100% crazy on being a librarian per say, but would love to work at a library :smile: Are you gonna do volunteer work too? I'm trying to organise a place for me to do some in December! How much placement do you have to do on your course out of curiosity? xx

Yep, I'm doing MA Librarianship! Luckily I'm getting an AHRC award, so I won't have to get a part time job. I definitely plan to do some voluntary work too. There's no work placement on my course, but I already have a year's full-time experience and some other voluntary experience so hopefully that will help.

I definitely don't want to be a stereotypical bespectacled librarian in a cardigan saying "Shhh"! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending