The Student Room Group

Is Psychology AS level difficult?

Thinking of picking it up as I have dropped another subject, (would be on OCR exam board). How hard would people say it is? :woo: Havent dony psychology gcse but have picked up a few things through reading etc. :smile:
Reply 1
That's the board I was with and it was a pretty easy A-Level. Not everybody did great at it though. I think if you are good at English GCSE and writing lots in a short amount of time you can get a decent grade.
Reply 2
I did it too, cannot remember which exam board! Think it was AQA, i loved it, but that was also due to my lecturer at AS, i did it at A2 and it was okay, but i hated my lecturer!

As for difficult, its lots of essay writing, and remembering who did what, when, and what they found and what it means. If you can do that then it shouldnt be too difficult.

However my AS consisted of Research Methods, Memory, Stress, and theres lots of biological terminology there too, so it helps to be good with biology!
Reply 3
I don't think it's a difficult subject, like some of the natural sciences are.

But I wouldn't choose it just to "fill a gap" or say "Psychology seems interesting and easy - i'll do that" It has its hard modules, and easier ones.
It depends on what your good at.

Some maths/biology based stuff is needed at times, but overall if you're good at english/maths you'll be fine.
There's also quite a lot to learn and take in, so you do need to work! But overall, it's an interesting a-level and if you put in the work, you could easily do great.
Reply 4
Personally, under the exam board I'm with, I'd say it's hard going. Our school don't do it for GCSE so you're thrown in at the deep end. You're only allowed to take it if you get AA in biology and English.

I had one lesson yesterday, and have been set 4 A3 sheets on cognitive and social approach studies, evaluate and compare the studies, do an ethic-specific essay and create a large glossary.

Within a week.

There's currently 35 people in my class, however the teacher's expecting ten, or maybe fifteen people to be gone within a week.

My boyfriend took it under a different specifacation and said it was murder.

I think if you really put the effort in, and understand what's being said fully, you should be fine.

I'd say sociology is easier, going by the teachers as well.
Reply 5
Not everyone did excellent where I went.

But being a Grammar school, many people got their As.

Me? It was the simplest, easiest thing in the world. Why?

It's so fascinating! It barely even felt like learning.

As you can see, it was so 'easy :wink:' I'm taking it on to degree.

edit: And maths? I'm hopeless at maths, and no wizz at Biology.

I got an A at A level.
Reply 6
No, it's not difficult but there's loaadddsss to remember.
ABCDemily
Personally, under the exam board I'm with, I'd say it's hard going. Our school don't do it for GCSE so you're thrown in at the deep end. You're only allowed to take it if you get AA in biology and English.

I had one lesson yesterday, and have been set 4 A3 sheets on cognitive and social approach studies, evaluate and compare the studies, do an ethic-specific essay and create a large glossary.

Within a week.

There's currently 35 people in my class, however the teacher's expecting ten, or maybe fifteen people to be gone within a week.

My boyfriend took it under a different specifacation and said it was murder.

I think if you really put the effort in, and understand what's being said fully, you should be fine.

I'd say sociology is easier, going by the teachers as well.

Are you doing AQA B? I'm getting worried, people at other schools have said they're getting a ton of Psych work already, and our teacher is notoriously a bit crap and all we've been set it two pages of reading :dry:
Reply 8
ourlastmemory
Are you doing AQA B? I'm getting worried, people at other schools have said they're getting a ton of Psych work already, and our teacher is notoriously a bit crap and all we've been set it two pages of reading :dry:

I'm on Edexcel I think, my boyfriend was on AQA A, I'm not sure if one was harder than the other, but he said it was pretty tough going.

Good luck :biggrin:
I'm about to go into my A2 year of AQA B psychology.

I didn't find the AS year too difficult, it's more of a memory game than anything, but there is a lot to remember! You need to have the ability to understand basic biological stuff, maths in relation to analysing data and be willing to put a lot of effort into memorizing lots of information and being able to apply it. Having good essay writing skills would help tremendously!

It's a very interesting subject to study though, so it never feels like too much of a chore to me. :smile:
The new spec is the easiest thing ever.
Antifazian
I'm about to go into my A2 year of AQA B psychology.

I didn't find the AS year too difficult, it's more of a memory game than anything, but there is a lot to remember! You need to have the ability to understand basic biological stuff, maths in relation to analysing data and be willing to put a lot of effort into memorizing lots of information and being able to apply it. Having good essay writing skills would help tremendously!

It's a very interesting subject to study though, so it never feels like too much of a chore to me. :smile:

Why neg me mate? By the way, your rep power is worth dilch. Have some neg your way, though.
SuicideCommando
Why neg me mate?

I disagreed. Isn't that the point..

By the way, your rep power is worth dilch. Have some neg your way, though.

lol oh dear.
Reply 13
Like others have said, the difficulty lies more in memorisation than in learning any taxing concepts. For me, 99% of the memorisation was tedious names/details of studies. I found it progressively more boring from the end of AS onwards.
Antifazian
I disagreed. Isn't that the point..

lol oh dear.

Douche.
Original post by Fuzzpig
Not everyone did excellent where I went.

But being a Grammar school, many people got their As.

Me? It was the simplest, easiest thing in the world. Why?

It's so fascinating! It barely even felt like learning.

As you can see, it was so 'easy :wink:' I'm taking it on to degree.

edit: And maths? I'm hopeless at maths, and no wizz at Biology.

I got an A at A level.

Thanks for being honest! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending