The Student Room Group
Reply 1
This forum is for posting a first draft of your statement, not for questions. A moderator will move this thread for you.
Moved to the correct forum for you. As has been said, once you have a first draft of your ps you are welcome to post back in the PS help forums where someone can take a look at it for you. Also look at the PS help wiki for info about how to start your PS and some examples.
rorymac
I'm struggligto come up with a good opening line for a Modern Languages (French and Spanish) personal statement. Anyone got any ideas?

Hmmm... My name is Rory Mac and I am a Francophile/ Hispanophile?

Seriously though... Have you planned out your PS layout? What are you including in your first paragraph?
Reply 4
Don't say you've been interested in modern language since you were 3 and you met someone from france...

Almost all of the sample personal statements that I read before I applied had an opening line of
"I became interested in Chemistry when my dad bought me a chemistry kit at age 10 and i burnt my face"
"I've always been interested in Medicine since i was 4 and fell over for the first time in primary school"
"My passion for english lit began with the first book I ever read: "The Hungry Caterpillar"

Try writing the rest of your ps first and then come back to the opening line at the end once the other paragraphs have slotted together. This could give you a good idea of what you want to say as a sort of introduction to the detail that follows.
Reply 5
Your first sentence should really tell the admissions tutor why they should accept you onto their course over 10 other applicants. You could talk about your passion for the subject in general, your passion for a specific area of literature which interests you, or what makes you stand out from the crowd. Just make sure you don't sound a) too pretentious, b) too cliché, and c) too unrealistic. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending