The Student Room Group

strange edexcel AS marks? :\

i got my AS results today (was away for 20th), history and drama. i was predicted AA for drama coursework and the exam, and BB for the history exams. i helped someone else out with their drama coursework and they got a B. moreover, i came out of history 1 knowing i'd messed my facts up, but came out of history 2 feeling like i'd made a decent effort and stayed fairly accurate throughout. how on earth then, do these make sense:

drama 1 (exam) = 70/80 = A
drama 2 (cwk) = 53/120 = E

history 1 (exam) = 80/100 = A
history 2 (exam) = 56/100 = D

:\

has anyone else had trouble with the new edexcel mark schemes? x
Reply 1
History, yes. I got a high A in one module and a middle C in the other. Just got my remark back today and it's gone up loads, so I'd advise you to do that! :smile:
Yes, I did Drama on Edexcel and I got an E for the coursework as well (I'd also got an E for the exam), but my teachers told me that my coursework was really good, and they had marked one of my pieces at an A, so I don't know what's going on.....

Other people got A's overall though, so I'm thinking either there was a clerical error at Edexcel or not all of my coursework was sent off...
Reply 3
Edexcel is the worst exam board I have ever done any exams with and their marking is obscure to say the least. In my Music A2 modules this year I got AAD and in History ACE when I'd been predicted As and had been doing well in essays before the end of the year. The whole year's history results were just strange and worst of all, those that have been sent off to be remarked have so far come back unchanged, while I'm still waiting on mine. I can't stand how awful they are! Especially when those two grades made the difference between my firm and my insurance and feeling like I'd done well and like I'd failed.

Sorry. Just had to get that out there.
Reply 4
my entire music class got grades D-U on our music recitals when we were all expecting As and Bs. The remark came back pretty much the same but there's no way any of us deserved such stupidly low marks! i want to appeal but i'm not sure if our idiot of a headteacher will allow it, i'm so unbelievably annoyed!!
maybe that particular component had really high grade boundaries (because other people in the country performed better than you guys) so what you guys thought were in fact As and Bs could have been downgraded to Ds, Es and Us because of such high boundaries. It does happen.

chances are if its been marked, and then remarked and most of them stayed the same, the marking was probably right in the first place. Seeing as some grades did change, you atleast know they remarked it though and just didn't claim they did.

you could always resit though in Jan/June next year.

Latest