The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
pooliefan14
Is anyone considering taking part in the languages for all scheme? I'm tempted to get back into my German having done it at GCSE but i'm wondering if i really want the extra workload

I did one in my third year (the "did GCSE German but nothing since" level) and it's really how ever much extra workload you want (apart from the two hours a week of the actual lesson of course). You could get away with no extra work or you could out a lot in, and naturally you get out what you put in.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Yep, I'm signing up for the BSL one :smile: I've been dying to take a BSL course for years - was totally full of YAY to find that letter in with all the forms! It's only two hours a week, I figure it can't be that much extra work :smile:
I didnt do one of the language for all one specifically, it was an extra language module from the modern languages department, as an open module (Mandarin). And it was bloody hard work, in fact I am so glad that this year I dont have that hanging over my head. It took up almost all of my time and on some days it honestly made me cry.
However I am very very very glad I did it, and Im continuing the language but self-taught.

It's not the same as the ones you are talking about but just think about the workload. If you can put in as much or as little as you want then its great, but if you want to get a certain thing out of it you can get wrapped up and slightly obsessed about it, and it can be a bit draining.
oh wow, i didnt know these courses existed. i need to brush up on my contanese, where do i sign up??
The languages for all you can pay for at the university language centre, I think. Others can be provided as a module that can be done as an elective for example beginners french, mandarin blah blah. Its all somewhere on the durham uni website, I think....

Latest