The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Undergraduate Timetables

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how the timetables work? Initially I assumed it was self-explanatory until I realized that only one of my Michaelmas term classes are listed in the timetable :confused:
>>Are all of those classes listed in the timetable the only ones available?
>>I'm a study abroad student so we don't exactly use this method where I'm from...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The thing that is published on the Student Registry web page at the moment does not look llike the finished timetable to me, I think they are still working on it.
What subject are you taking? If it involves labs and workshops these may not be on the main timetable.
In an Arts subject, tutorials may not be listed, they are allocated at the start of term. And if you are a first year, you will have minors to add in as well.
Don't worry about this just yet. You will get an individual timetable sent to your university email account once you have registered for your subjects in Freshers' Week.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Lizj
The thing that is published on the Student Registry web page at the moment does not look llike the finished timetable to me, I think they are still working on it.
What subject are you taking? If it involves labs and workshops these may not be on the main timetable.
In an Arts subject, tutorials may not be listed, they are allocated at the start of term. And if you are a first year, you will have minors to add in as well.
Don't worry about this just yet. You will get an individual timetable sent to your university email account once you have registered for your subjects in Freshers' Week.

>>Well I'm taking Biology 211, Physics110 and Sociology101 M term. Physics is on there but as you suggested includes a lab, as well as Biology so I guess that's why those aren't shown in addition to the Biology course.
>>I was just a little worried cuz my study abroad adviser asked that study abroad students draft their class schedule in before registration since we won't get a hard copy of the timetable...
>>I'm in my second year over here in the states, so I suppose I'm entered as a second year as well over there, but not sure...
Reply 3
Sociology 101 is on there, Monday at 3.00p.m. There is only one Sociology lecture a week, plus a seminar, which will be arranged when you arrive. (I know this because I did Sociology Part 1)
Your Biology class is a Part 2 course, and the Part 2 timetable is still being constructed, so it might be some time before you get the details.
Your classes are a bit unusual in that you are taking a mix of Part 1 and Part 2, presumably because of what you have already done in the States.
Hope this helps. Don't panic, Lancaster are a bit dis-organised at times, but they always get there in the end!
These timetables suck. I'm taking eng lang and wanted to choose criminology as a minor but I can't cause the lectures are at the same time. ****.
Does anybody have a copy of the timetable? I can't get it to download on my computer. Thanks x
play_it_again
Does anybody have a copy of the timetable? I can't get it to download on my computer. Thanks x

Yep, here you go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/o7ihhb
Reply 7
Can anyone see business studies on there as i cant?
chris4414
Can anyone see business studies on there as i cant?

Here's a list of the modules you'll be taking: http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/ProgrammesOfStudy/Programme.aspx?Course=005250&Year=000109

Now look for them in the timetable.
Reply 9
RabbitCFH
Here's a list of the modules you'll be taking: http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/ProgrammesOfStudy/Programme.aspx?Course=005250&Year=000109

Now look for them in the timetable.

Ah thats how it works thanks.
RabbitCFH

Thank you :biggrin:
play_it_again
Thank you :biggrin:

No problemo.:cool:
Reply 12
So am I right in saying if you're doing a science subject where you will have lab sessions, these are not indicated on the timetable and will be told to us when we get there? (I'm doing physics, if that makes any difference)
hey, for minor subjects in part 1, are you allowed to pick whatever you want (as long as there is no timetable clash) or does your department prefer you to take certain subjects (i'm doing maths if that makes a difference and am interested in doing a minor in criminology)?
Reply 14
darkrosebud1991
hey, for minor subjects in part 1, are you allowed to pick whatever you want (as long as there is no timetable clash) or does your department prefer you to take certain subjects (i'm doing maths if that makes a difference and am interested in doing a minor in criminology)?

If there are compulsory minors for your course, or preferred ones, the Department handbook (or website) will tell you. If it doesn't say that you are restricted in your choice, then you can do whatever you want.
When I first started at Lancs we were sent a big green book all about which minors were available, timetable clashes etc., but I don't know whether they still send then out?
Reply 15
I tried to hunt down a timetable for the Pre-Med. I actually went in and was sent (with excitable 3yr and a 5yr old in tow) on a little trip off three receptions/student services and no-one could help at all. Even last years would've done!!
I live 20 mins away and need to know start/finishing times as I have kids. Because I have no idea which after school clubs I may need until a week or so before I start, the school can't hold them for a month and now there's only two days left available. Same with breakfast clubs.

I went to ask because at the interview day they actually flashed one up on a big screen, but I can't remember it. So they do have a prototype one!
Will they let me have it?

Nooo. I looked at that big timetable thing. Far too complicated :biggrin:

Oh and our search that day abruptly ended when the kids annoyed the Biology reception lady by keeping sticking their legs and feet into the revolving doors to emergency stop it. I thought it best we leave :smile:
Reply 16
In terms of science practicals, are all of those modules mandatory or can we choose only one?
:smile:
Reply 17
you usually get an option of 1 session from 2/3 days
Reply 18
And what do the numbers in "< >" mean in the activity name? : Ex BIOL211/P01/02 <14, 16> (what do the 14, 16 mean--are these weeks?)
Yeah those are the weeks the modules would be running, however I think it is based on a different week system, maybe starting from the end of the academic year, and including term holidays. It is probably best just to ignore them, you're timetable should state elsewhere for many weeks it is running.

Latest