The Student Room Group

Urgent help with COMPUTER SCIENCE...

Hi people, I'm in such a dilemma at the moment and would love your help. Basically, I've done a BTEC National Certificate in IT and got Double distinction (Distintion in every unit). Originally, i wasnt at all IT literate or very clever in computing terms but i only recieved them grades through learning and sheer hardwork. I also got an average Grade C in maths for GCSE'S.

My question is that how hard is Computer Science and what are the job prospects like?. At the moment, ive accepted a place doing Bsc Computer Networks but after doing a few searches i found that you dont particularly need a degree for an engineer for example. Is this true?. I was told by doing a CS degree you are more employable primarily because you know the fundamentals of computing or does it make you less employable because you not specialized in anything?. Will this allow me to get a networking job even though i do a CS degree? I haven't particulary done programming well infact i did 1 unit where i made a simple program using VB. This seemed an O.K task but thats all, i havent done no C++ etc. So really im new to programming and my maths skills arent exactly brilliant just average..lol. So would you recommend i do a CS degree to keep my options open or do a Networks degree and specialize there?. People tell me only A-grade Al-level students do it and do well which worries me primarily because im an average person, im no geek or clever person is this true?

What kind of jobs are available apart from programming or are they all programming based? e.g. web designer, network engineer etc..

Also, if i did go for the same job (Lets say network engineer) with a cs degree wil they consider me even if i did no modules in networking. I am also doing my CCNA.

Please help me and thankyou ever so much for your time..

Hesky.
Reply 1
Computer science isn't the same as ICT in any way. Its maths and physics through and through. Yes only good people with AAB (plus a forth usually) do it, but once your there A levels don't tend to indicate success too well (in my opinion).

You're not another person on here who wants to go into Networking are you? :s-smilie: no wonder the pay is rubbish if anyone flocks there.

With a CS degree you have a passport for most graduate schemes from project management to coding. You don't need a degree to become an engineer, but you need one to be higher than an engineer...
Reply 2
Would you recommend i go for Computer Science in your opinion?
Reply 3
You don't need a degree to become an engineer

You need a degree, or degree level qualification, to be an engineer. The confusion stems from the fact that engineer isn't a protected title in the same way that doctor or solicitor is, so you get people who call themselves "engineers" without having an ECUK backed qualification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer#United_Kingdom
Reply 4
laser
You need a degree, or degree level qualification, to be an engineer. The confusion stems from the fact that engineer isn't a protected title in the same way that doctor or solicitor is, so you get people who call themselves "engineers" without having an ECUK backed qualification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer#United_Kingdom

Sorry, you are quite right, I took the question it in the spirit not to the letter :smile:

I took it to be asking 'do I have to go to university to study for a degree before getting a job as an engineer?' to which there are alternatives.

Latest

Trending

Trending