The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I have an adobe acrobat file on this - it's too big for me to upload on here. pm me with your email address and I'll send it to you
Reply 2
poptart86
hi there, trying to write an essay about the process of global shift in the car industry.
I really dont know how to start it and what to include! Is it how Toyota located offshore production in USA and how many TNCs have gone to NICs due to cheap labour, less regulations etc ??
Sorry im just not in a "geography" frame of mind at the mo :p:

yeh..your on the right lines

a question they might ask;
For EITHER one named global automobile manufacturer OR one service company outline and explain the global distribution of its activities. (15 marks)
Reply 3
the thinf that confuses is me is Toyota moved production offshore to USA, and i always thought that global shift was from MEDCs to LEDCs. i guess its so they could access the market, but can it also be included in the term global shift??
I dont have any car industries that moved to LEDCs I dont think :frown:
i would prob say it wasnt an example of global shift. i dont have a case study really, i know that Renault bought a romanian car manufacturer Dacia, but thats more of a case of foreign investment. i remember there being a section on the car industry in the GC textbook but i skipped it because it looked so boring.
Reply 5
heres a question for you, although its only a week before the exam, do u think I should find a different industry to show global shift? It seems my car industry doesnt really help me because all the ones I have are in MEDCs????
What do u think is best, stick with the unhelpful car industry or waste more time trying to research another industry? ggrrrrr :mad:
Reply 6
http://www.geographypages.co.uk/fordpresentation.doc heres a link i found about Ford locating its manufacturing in NICs and LEDCs qite helpful :smile:
Reply 7
just remembered, luke I wrote up some notes on TNCs and stuff. PM me your email and Ill send it to you
poptart86
heres a question for you, although its only a week before the exam, do u think I should find a different industry to show global shift? It seems my car industry doesnt really help me because all the ones I have are in MEDCs????
What do u think is best, stick with the unhelpful car industry or waste more time trying to research another industry? ggrrrrr :mad:

ummm...u prob do want to look at LEDC global shift i think. depends really on how much time it will take you. if that link you provided is good (i haven't looked yet) then you should prob get a little information. although i can't really talk because i dont have anything on an industry. maybe i will learn one or two facts, but i will just ignore a question on it if there is one.
Reply 9
luketennisboy
ummm...u prob do want to look at LEDC global shift i think. depends really on how much time it will take you. if that link you provided is good (i haven't looked yet) then you should prob get a little information. although i can't really talk because i dont have anything on an industry. maybe i will learn one or two facts, but i will just ignore a question on it if there is one.

Well ive done a bit more research and found that Ford, Mazda, etc all located in Malaysia around the 1980s. So I will prob name drop a few car manufacturers, but focus on the effects of global shift on the country itself, if that makes sense.
Yeh, i reckon ill be doing a population essay anyway lol :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending