The Student Room Group

Nursing

Hey,

I just got back working in a special needs camp for adults and children, I had the most amazing experience, I learnt alot of things i.e changing urine bags, insulin injections, personal cares and doing physical screenings. I am hoping to go again next summer but as HCA- health counselor aid which will focus more on the medical side. Anyway, I was wondering how can i write this on my personal statement and do u think it will help me for my nursing? Also, i am torned between kCL and kingston, I like 20 mins away from Kingston which one? Does it matter which university u go to for nursing will it effect you from getting a job?
Reply 1
Alisvolatpropriis
Hey,

I just got back working in a special needs camp for adults and children, I had the most amazing experience, I learnt alot of things i.e changing urine bags, insulin injections, personal cares and doing physical screenings. I am hoping to go again next summer but as HCA- health counselor aid which will focus more on the medical side. Anyway, I was wondering how can i write this on my personal statement and do u think it will help me for my nursing? Also, i am torned between kCL and kingston, I like 20 mins away from Kingston which one? Does it matter which university u go to for nursing will it effect you from getting a job?

what your doing is exactly right and for you PS all you need to do is mention the work experience you have done and how it has benefited you! .....for example in your case, ' during the summer of 2009 i was luck enough to work in a special needs camp for adults and children, where i completed tasks such as.......'all the stuff you did'.......then say something like.....this has taught me the independence of each patient and performing the tasks allowed me to employ my manual dexterity'..... just make it sound good....

for the unis i would defiitely advise KCL as my friend did nursing there and she absolutely loved it! ....plus its alot more renound....hope this helps:smile:
SK-mar
what your doing is exactly right and for you PS all you need to do is mention the work experience you have done and how it has benefited you! .....for example in your case, ' during the summer of 2009 i was luck enough to work in a special needs camp for adults and children, where i completed tasks such as.......'all the stuff you did'.......then say something like.....this has taught me the independence of each patient and performing the tasks allowed me to employ my manual dexterity'..... just make it sound good....

for the unis i would defiitely advise KCL as my friend did nursing there and she absolutely loved it! ....plus its alot more renound....hope this helps:smile:

thank you so much :smile:
Reply 3
Alisvolatpropriis
Hey,

Sounds like me. I've just come back from a special needs camp for adults and children!was amazing. And I'm starting nursing in march :smile:
I think it will definitely help you for nursing if you put it in your PS and for when it comes to the interview!
Did you go to a camp in America?
Holamigo
Sounds like me. I've just come back from a special needs camp for adults and children!was amazing. And I'm starting nursing in march :smile:
I think it will definitely help you for nursing if you put it in your PS and for when it comes to the interview!
Did you go to a camp in America?

No camp leaders, which camp did u go to?
Reply 5
Alisvolatpropriis
No camp leaders, which camp did u go to?

I went to one in Illinois -near chicago! how about you? its sad that its over isn't it! :frown:
Holamigo
I went to one in Illinois -near chicago! how about you? its sad that its over isn't it! :frown:

I went to one in minnesota!! I miss it soo badly, it was a hard job but i frigging loved it!! So many good memories!! Are u going back next year? i am to be a HCA wihch is a health counselor aid! So i get training how to do Gtubes etc!! im soo excited
Reply 7
Alisvolatpropriis
I went to one in minnesota!! I miss it soo badly, it was a hard job but i frigging loved it!! So many good memories!! Are u going back next year? i am to be a HCA wihch is a health counselor aid! So i get training how to do Gtubes etc!! im soo excited

ah that'll be cool! are a lot of the other counsellors going back too?
Yeah I agree with you there it was very hard! but such an amazing experience! one that I will never forget!
I probably wont be going back because I think with Nursing you only get 2-3 weeks off in the summer! and i'm gonna start saving as I'd like to go to Africa/India one year and work at a hospital there.
Holamigo
ah that'll be cool! are a lot of the other counsellors going back too?
Yeah I agree with you there it was very hard! but such an amazing experience! one that I will never forget!
I probably wont be going back because I think with Nursing you only get 2-3 weeks off in the summer! and i'm gonna start saving as I'd like to go to Africa/India one year and work at a hospital there.

ahhh wow i couldnt work in india! way too much of a culture shock. I had abit of hard time adjusting to the americans being happy all the time! lol. Which uni are u at?
Reply 9
Alisvolatpropriis
ahhh wow i couldnt work in india! way too much of a culture shock. I had abit of hard time adjusting to the americans being happy all the time! lol. Which uni are u at?

Yeah I know what you mean, they were always up-beat and saying positive things lol!

I'll be starting at chester Uni in March ! I really can't wait!
where are you gonna apply to?