The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Warwick is where i'm looking to go..and I am happy to hear that!
Reply 21
Some of the replies here are absolutely clueless; just to warn you op
Reply 22
LJBzzz
Watch out! Totally Tom will be after you. You cannot give an opinion on TSR unless you pad it out with lots of facts and research

I don't think anyone is asking for reams of facts and research. Some facts and informed opinions. Which university offers the best "student life" is going to be particularly subjective.

It's difficult to compare universities' "general" academic standards. So if you are comparing them then please state how you are comparing them. Also, however you do compare them, I really don't see how you can claim Aston is above Lancaster or KCL above Nottingham when the difference is so small. Nottingham, in terms of size, research and teaching strengths across the disciplines is arguably marginally stronger.

But for someone who hasn't even been at one university, let alone all of them, has little to no experience of the teaching, library resources etc. at those universities, to speak with authority and carefully draw these fine distinctions between that does get peoples backs up. Especially when the thread is in the postgrad forum.

Warwick's environment isn't "boring". Not in my experience and that experience of people I know. Being a campus university it's just a bit of a marmite place. The campus itself, with the arts centre, sports facilities etc. can wipe the floor with social opportunities offered at other universities. Some prefer the self-contained campus and thing it eenhances their student life and experience. Some think it doesn't. It's all opinion.
Reply 23
River85
I don't think anyone is asking for reams of facts and research. Some facts and informed opinions. Which university offers the best "student life" is going to be particularly subjective.

It's difficult to compare universities' "general" academic standards. So if you are comparing them then please state how you are comparing them. Also, however you do compare them, I really don't see how you can claim Aston is above Lancaster or KCL above Nottingham when the difference is so small. Nottingham, in terms of size, research and teaching strengths across the disciplines is arguably marginally stronger.

But for someone who hasn't even been at one university, let alone all of them, has little to no experience of the teaching, library resources etc. at those universities, to speak with authority and carefully draw these fine distinctions between that does get peoples backs up. Especially when the thread is in the postgrad forum.

Warwick's environment isn't "boring". Not in my experience and that experience of people I know. Being a campus university it's just a bit of a marmite place. The campus itself, with the arts centre, sports facilities etc. can wipe the floor with social opportunities offered at other universities. Some prefer the self-contained campus and thing it eenhances their student life and experience. Some think it doesn't. It's all opinion.

Unless you have studied at more than one university it makes no difference because you have nothing to compare it to. I might go to Royal Holloway and think that the teaching and academic structure is really good, when perhaps it is not as good as QMUL, or UCL. I think the point you made is good, but everyone is entitled to an opinion from their experience, even if that is minimal.
Reply 24
Totally Tom
well the general consensus on here is that warwick boring as hell, but this is a untrue.

well, clearly you go to warwick, but some people's definition of a uni with good student life (ie bars clubs) clearly differs from yours.
ac132
well, clearly you go to warwick, but some people's definition of a uni with good student life (ie bars clubs) clearly differs from yours.

have you been on a night out at warwick? or are you making assumptions?
Reply 26
ac132
AHH. A LOT.

Warwick - boring as hell but good

I'd take caution on comments that are purely anecdotal and speculative.
Reply 27
THATS*ME
Title. For a Master's degree in Human Relations and related courses.
Please provide to separate ratings. (1) On the basis of the reputation and quality of education. (2) On the basis of Student life.

Nottingham University
The University of Warwick
Manchester University
King's College London
Aston University
Lancaster University
University College London

THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!!

how about CASS BUSINESS SCHOOL (london)
Reply 28
In very vague academic terms:
Warwick/UCL
Nottingham/Manchester/KCL
Aston/Lancaster

You should place the most emphasis on the specifics of the courses and departments involved. A lot will come down to your own particular preferences, both academically and socially. London possesses resources that no other city in Europe can match but at a considerable financial cost, which is why Manchester is often considered to be a good 'compromise'. Studying at a campus university like Warwick or Lancaster offers a completely different kind of experience. Some may find such places 'boring' and 'introverted' while others will celebrate 'the friendly community atmosphere'.
Reply 29
Tier 1: Warwick and UCL
Tier 2: Notts, KCL, Manchester
then
Lancaster
Aston
in that order.

Warwick - campus university, pretty much like Stanford or Duke in the US. Activities are often run by students. Beautiful, nature...

UCL - center of London. no campus but buildings scattered around the area. pretty much like NYU in the US.

I'd take Warwick any day.
Reply 30
Warwick - 70's brutalist architecture. Not much of an international reputation.
UCL - ranked 4th in the world. Beautiful quadrangle, a footstep away from everything London offers.

I'd take UCL any day.

Latest

Trending

Trending