The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Hawthorn Halls

Just reading off the contractual agreement here and it says

"We will ensure the communal areas of the residences are cleaned on a regular basis.
(Except flats at Barnes and Hawthorns where communal stairways and entrance halls
will be cleaned on a regular basis but not kitchens and bathrooms which will be the
responsibility of the occupants of individual flats)."

So for Hawthorns the stairways and entrance halls will be cleaned but not the kitchens and bathrooms? What about our rooms?

Also it talks about the second semester - are they referring to the spring semester 11 June 2010?

Also how is the kitchen and bathroom going to be shared? Is there just one for all the people from the same block?

Anyways those from Hawthorn halls, let's strive to keep our premise clean! If we don't a charge may even be incurred as the accommodation staff may inspect our block!

Also it says at 8.2 "For your safety, electrical equipment, other than that documented in the Essential
Information for Students Handbook is not permitted in study bedrooms." Did anyone receive the above handbook?

Btw, anyone from Block N???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The contractual agreement can be found here: http://www.keelefm.co.uk/file.php?fileID=775
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
It's only flats that you have to clean your own kitchen and rooms. It's usually 2nd/3rd years in flats.

In blocks your kitchen is cleaned once a week but you're expected to keep it reasonably tidy and your bedroom is cleaned once every 2 weeks. Landings/hallways are cleaned too, depending on the layout is how they're cleaned I think.

Spring semester is the 2nd semester :smile:

In Hawthornes there is 1 kitchen and 2 bathrooms (4 toilets and 2 showers and 2 baths in total), one for girls and one for boys. In Barnes where I was last year each floor had a toilet and there were 2 baths and 4 showers and 2 kitchens.
Reply 3
How many people do we 'usually' have to share with? Such as the kitchen/toilet/shower facilities. It'll be a pain if others didn't tidy their mess ;/
Reply 4
A block has the most with 31/32 rooms or something.
I was in B and it had 29, that seemed to be the average.
Templar house is the smallest I think.

You share 2 ovens, microwave and 4 fridge freezers (this is B block i'm talking about but I have been in B,C & D and they were pretty similar).

Bathroom is supposed to be like a 14/15 split, but it depends on how people are. In B block it was the bottom bathroom for all the boys (boys have the first floor) but some of the girls on the second floor used their bathroom too. I used to use that shower when I dyed my hair as it came off the hook haha!

People not tidying their mess is a pain, but if you complain to housekeeping and you know who it is, they can be fined.
Reply 5
decoy
A block has the most with 31/32 rooms or something.
I was in B and it had 29, that seemed to be the average.
Templar house is the smallest I think.

You share 2 ovens, microwave and 4 fridge freezers (this is B block i'm talking about but I have been in B,C & D and they were pretty similar).

Bathroom is supposed to be like a 14/15 split, but it depends on how people are. In B block it was the bottom bathroom for all the boys (boys have the first floor) but some of the girls on the second floor used their bathroom too. I used to use that shower when I dyed my hair as it came off the hook haha!

People not tidying their mess is a pain, but if you complain to housekeeping and you know who it is, they can be fined.

Ooh thanks for clearing that up for me :smile:, I often shower pretty late, so I won't be attending morning queues for the shower (if there is any queue that is). :P
Reply 6
I had to que once maybe twice in the whole year. It's not too bad.
Reply 7
A block has 35 rooms with 3 sharing ones if it's still the same as when i lived in the block, so 38 people at the start of the year, with a pretty tiny kitchen/fridge/freezer/cupboard and seating area considering the number of people.

A block had 2 loos, 1 shower and 1 bath for the lads, there were only 8 when i was there and 2 loos, 1 shower and 1 bath for the girls on the 2nd floor to be shared between about 27 :frown:! Although saying that i only had to queue a few times for the shower.
Reply 8
My block (G) was smaller 25 people sharing and we were all girls so it was ok for showers cause we could use which ever one was free. We started off the year with an awful cleaner, my room was cleaned once the whole of the first semester cause she would knock, i'd ask her to come later as I was getting ready to go for a lecture but she never did. Loads of us complained and we got a new cleaner who cleaned our kitchen and hallways every day as well as the rooms on the rota. Which block are you in OP?
Reply 9
Hm so what's the difference between block and flat? And I'm guessing that flat does not apply to me?

Btw who is the housekeeping? Is it the residential tutor or the student lettings service person that I have to make my complaint to? Do they have a stove where I can 'cook' and is it common for people to cook meals with one another? I'd love to know as I don't really cook but I'd like to learn.

I'm block N. And you guys?
Reply 10
Catchetat
Hm so what's the difference between block and flat? And I'm guessing that flat does not apply to me?

Btw who is the housekeeping? Is it the residential tutor or the student lettings service person that I have to make my complaint to? Do they have a stove where I can 'cook' and is it common for people to cook meals with one another? I'd love to know as I don't really cook but I'd like to learn.

I'm block N. And you guys?

The difference between flats and blocks are that the flats are flats, groups of four (some 8 on horwood) rooms with their own kitchen and bathroom. Blocks are corridors with lots of rooms on them with shared kitchens and bathrooms for the whole block.

Housekeeping are the people who look after the blocks, that involves cleaning and maintenance. If you have a complaint with people in your block you go to the resident tutor, if you have a complaint to do with cleaning or maintenance then you go to Ursula Reeve who is the residence manager or something like that. She is easy to get hold of as she e-mails quite frequently and does a 'surgery' at a certain time where you can go see her.

In hawthorns blocks the kitchens usually have 3 cookers with hobs (usually only 1 decent one between them), 2 microwaves and 4 fridge freezers. The ovens are electric and the ovens are fan ovens so you have to keep a good eye on your food as it can easily get burnt. :o:
Reply 11
does anyone know which rooms in hawthorns A block are sharing?? im in A block an i really hope im not sharing a room!! :frown::frown:
x
Reply 12
ABaines
does anyone know which rooms in hawthorns A block are sharing?? im in A block an i really hope im not sharing a room!! :frown::frown:
x

No worries, they will have told you in your contract if you were sharing as it involves sharing the cost between the two occupants. If you know which block your in then you would have known by now! :smile:
Reply 13
Haha I got my letter today, am in Block S!
Reply 14
awww thankgod! thanks for tht. im happy again now!

how much do rooms differ in size? does any one know? i heard that some of them are literally refurbished cleaner closets haha.

xx
Reply 15
There was one tiny room in B Block.
One row up were the biggest (mine included, woo).
But generally, apart from those 5 in B Block were the same size.
Reply 16
ABaines
x

When i was in A block the sharing rooms were 4, 28 and 35 but i think they'd tell you if you were in a sharing room. Rooms vary massively too, mine was one of the biggest (32), but i remember 17 being tiny like not much more than a box room.
Reply 17
Just wondering what S block is like?
Reply 18
suzie_h
When i was in A block the sharing rooms were 4, 28 and 35 but i think they'd tell you if you were in a sharing room. Rooms vary massively too, mine was one of the biggest (32), but i remember 17 being tiny like not much more than a box room.

Well im room 24....so any guesses on tht room?
xxx
Reply 19
TLG
Just wondering what S block is like?

I'm not sure but I think S block is Stafford house, i think they have 8 rooms, 1 kitchen and two bathrooms. I think it is a 'house' rather than a block. I also think its the closest to the laundrette, bar and shop! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest