The Student Room Group

Need advice re: mechanical engineering and A2

Is there any benefit to doing four A-levels?

I've done Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Technology and Design for AS and got AAAA, and was going to drop maths, however I want to do Mechanical Engineering at Queens in Belfast and they specify Maths in the entry reqs (BCC incl. Maths and Physics)

Now I don't know whether to try and stick at it or not as I was struggling with some of the C2 maths as well as I completely lost interest in it, esp. as the numbers and calculations don't represent anything.) As next year the C3 and C4 modules are a further step up as well as doing a statistics module (which I hate) I was looking forward to getting rid of maths. Now I don't think I can.

OTOH I don't want to drop the others, especially Physics and Chemistry as I got 100% in five of those six modules, and I want to keep an option on Chemistry. As for Technology I've been around a lot of the things on the mechanical/pneumatic/hydraulic side so I am sort of familiar with that end of the course.

Is there any poing in keeping technology and doing four A-levels, or is it a lot more work for little or no reward?
Reply 1
You need Maths for any Engineering. Most unis prefer you to fo Further Maths too. It depends what the rest of your school does, if everyone else does 4 A Levels then it will seriously disadvantage your reference.
Reply 2

Na, the usual in my school is to do 4 AS and drop one for A2. They don't offer further maths either.

I'm just wondering if doing Tech. for A2 will make any difference for the extra work that it will involve.
I don't think Tech will make any difference, Physics and Maths are your strongest cards by far. Just nail the maths, most engineers I know hate it but just get it over and done with!
Reply 4
Nuada

Na, the usual in my school is to do 4 AS and drop one for A2. They don't offer further maths either.

I'm just wondering if doing Tech. for A2 will make any difference for the extra work that it will involve.
It depends where you want to reply, many unis don't even consider DT to be relevent to Engineering (as an A Level) :s-smilie:. Although if you want to apply to Oxbridge/Imperial then a 4th A Level will be useful, otherwise keep Maths and Physics and drop one of the others if you think your grades will suffer if you don't drop one.
Reply 5
If you want an engineering degree you need to do maths. Its as simple as that i'm afraid.
You drop maths you might as well murder yourself
I was going to take 4 to A2 + further maths,
But,unis only look at the first 3, and i would prefer to get A*A*A than A*ABB
Depends on you but, i have decided to focus on the 3, and get them really high
Reply 7
At least this isn't as bad as the thread whose OP wants to do engineering with neither Maths or Physics. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Thanks people. :top: I'll drop the tech then - as has been said it's not like it'll make much difference.
I did almost the same subjects as you - only French instead of Chem. I dropped Tech at A2 and went on to do Mech Eng. I also hate maths, but it's a fact of life on an Eng degree. Not so much in an Eng career - on those rare occasions that you do require degree-level maths, you'll be able to look it up in a reference book instead of having to memorize it!
Nuada
Thanks people. :top: I'll drop the tech then - as has been said it's not like it'll make much difference.

I think that's a good decision, good luck with your A-Levels :smile:

azhao
At least this isn't as bad as the thread whose OP wants to do engineering with neither Maths or Physics. :rolleyes:

That was worrying! It was either an honest misunderstanding about the academic requirements or they got confused about the difference between an engineer/technician :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending