The Student Room Group

How Difficult Is A Level History?

I am trying to decide what to pick out of Law and History so I need to do know which one is more difficult and which one is more respected?
I would appreciate it if people that answer leave there GCSE results, as well as A/AS Level, and university?
Please and thank you :wink: x

Scroll to see replies

History is more difficult and more respected.

And I've only just got my GCSE results, so I can't leave any other information. :tongue:
Reply 2
Why not ask the A level section? They're going to know more than us arn't they?
Reply 3
Delight :)
I am trying to decide what to pick out of Law and History so I need to do know which one is more difficult and which one is more respected?
I would appreciate it if people that answer leave there GCSE results, as well as A/AS Level, and university?

Jesus chirst. What is wrong with you?
Reply 4

History is very hard. I got an A but found it harder than Maths and Economics. At GCSE you're deceived into thinking that History does not involve learning huge amounts of facts.
To get an A at A-level, it really does. Then writing an essay of 3-4 sides of A4 in 45 minutes, using said facts to construct an argument which effectively explains and dismisses other explanations.

Law is not respected.

Do Eng Lit. (I wish I had), respected but easier than History
I found history quite hard...but then I could have tried twice as hard as I did and I ended up with a B, so maybe it wasn't that hard after all.
Reply 6
All results in my sig.

History is much more respected and difficult. I just missed out on a A due to one dodgy module and found all my other a-levels alot easier.
Reply 7
('',)

what do you mean whats wrong with me?
Reply 8
91 rob

:yep: This is very true
Reply 9
91 rob
History is very hard. I got an A but found it harder than Maths and Economics.

Law is not respected.

u know would you say English Literature is

Thanks for your reply x
How difficult if you know would you say English Literature is?
Reply 10
Albangura
:yep: This is very true

Thanks x
Its pretty hard but if you enjoy it, then it's easier to deal with. I got A* at GCSE and A at AS. I'm applying to do it at uni as well. If you put the work in and revise like crazy then it will pay off :biggrin:
Reply 12
('',)

LMFAO. :yep:
I got a very high A, 97% at AS hist and an A at GCSE.

I think it's really hard - the hardest out of all my subjects for me - check my sig. I worked the hardest for it at AS. I also thought it had the biggest step up from GCSE to AS.
Reply 14
I'd say it's one of the most difficult and respected, equal with maths perhaps. It depends on the individual's skills, some would find History easier, others Maths. But for the average person History is up there with the sciences, it's more respected than Law. Those applying for a Law degree are even advised to not have a Law A Level and have History instead, as the A Level Law supposedly contradicts the degree.
I would say that History is the more difficult of the two and it's probably also more respected. I got an A* at GCSE and an A at A-level, but I would say that A-level is quite a big step up from GCSE (maybe not the AS but the A2 work.) If you enjoy the subject and are willing to put in the work then you should take it :smile:
Reply 16
I did both Law and History ALevel, and got 2 Bs

I found history a bit more enjoyable, but Law was easier. You should really just choose the one you want to do most, it doesnt matter a huge deal if you do a subject like Law to get into a top uni. It may be 'less respected' but it isnt considered a duff subject, indeed I know someone who went to Oxford with a Law A Level (He only had three ALevels).
Reply 17
what do you mean whats wrong with me?

Would you like us to leave our home addresses also? And maybe a mobile number so you can contact us in case of emergency?
Reply 18
Wow thank you everyone who replied postivly
I guess out of Law History and English Literature I am better off doing English Literature
Reply 19
I found it quite a bit harder at AS than GCSE, I got an A at GCSE and a C at AS level, didn't carry it on to A2.

Latest