The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Finance...

I have had 2 years of finance from the student loans company for 2 different courses I hated at (did Law once thought it was just the uni I hated, started another, now pregnant, missed exams through illness, couldn't afford resits and now need to study at home) brick unis and was just wondering if I will still be able to get grants for the courses I want to do with the OU?

Our income is lower than the lowest threshold and I want to start with a 60 point course in October (£825) and start a 30 point one in November (£995).

Theres absolutely no way unless money falls from the sky that I can afford it otherwise especially with a baby on the way.
Reply 1
I had 2 years of finance for full time study and i don't think it effects your funding for part time study with OU, well it hasn't for me anyway.

I'm not entirely sure your funding will cover the entire cost of the two courses you want to do, probably best giving them a call and checking.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
If you are studying towards a degree with the open uni, and don't already have a degree, then you are still eligible, even if you've had loans from the SLC before.

It says

"Household** income below £16,510 for a full award and £24,915 for a partial award, plus allowances for dependants*. A full fee grant is worth £805 for 30-60 points of study, and £1,210 for 90 points"

Are your courses that expensive because they are law or something? It also says

"If you live in England, Northern Ireland or Wales and will be studying a course with a high fee, for example business or law, we will top up the government fee grant. This top up will usually cover the whole fee if you get a full award or a proportion of the fee if you get a partial award. You will only receive this additional support for one such high fee course per year."

So I would give them a call to find out if your fees would be completely covered. Remember you will probably be able to get the £255 course grant also, which could help towards it.

Latest