The Student Room Group

History or Maths?

Just got my AS results, and now its that time where I need to start thinking about university.

History has always been a passion, I find it interesting and its my best subject, however career wise, there's not much out there.

Maths I have talent, and do reasonably well, plus it has very well paying graduate jobs. However, I'm not sure I'd enjoy sitting through 3 years of just maths.

AS grades:
Maths A, F.Maths C, History A, Computing B.

Any ideas?
Reply 1
Maths for a career, history for pleasure.
Oharad
Just got my AS results, and now its that time where I need to start thinking about university.

History has always been a passion, I find it interesting and its my best subject, however career wise, there's not much out there.

Maths I have talent, and do reasonably well, plus it has very well paying graduate jobs. However, I'm not sure I'd enjoy sitting through 3 years of just maths.

AS grades:
Maths A, F.Maths C, History A, Computing B.

Any ideas?

Do history then. Problem solved
Reply 3
Clearly history, especially given your FMaths result. And graduate careers for History are hardly terrible.
Reply 4
What about History and Maths Joint Honours? Its what I am seriously contemplating.
There are many career opportunities after a History degree. Heck, I'll choose a random example: accountancy. You don't need a Maths degree for it, and you get training from the company which accepts you. There's little point doing a degree that you won't enjoy or get motivated to do for the next three years; or at least it's inadvisable in my view.

It's your decision, though, at the end of the day. If you're good at Maths (which your C in Further Maths doesn't completely indicate) and think you can get a higher paid job with it then, so long as you're happy, it's not a terrible decision to choose Maths.

But you say that you're better at History and enjoy it more. If it was my decision, I'd choose History - and you can still get a decent job.
It's obvious - History.

You're bored of Maths already, has someone has filled your head with some nonsense that you can't get a good job with a History degree? You'll start Uni on a Maths course, and realise you've just made the biggest mistake of your life. If History is a passion of yours then there's really no debate. School and College is about jumping through hoops and spending endless hours studying stuff you have no interest in to eventually get to University.

Then you go to Uni and do what YOU WANT TO DO, not school, your friends or your parents.

Follow your heart, every single time.
BeanzMeanzHeinzWard
It's obvious - History.

You're bored of Maths already, has someone has filled your head with some nonsense that you can't get a good job with a History degree? You'll start Uni on a Maths course, and realise you've just made the biggest mistake of your life. If History is a passion of yours then there's really no debate. School and College is about jumping through hoops and spending endless hours studying stuff you have no interest in to eventually get to University.

Then you go to Uni and do what YOU WANT TO DO, not school, your friends or your parents.

Follow your heart, every single time.

THIS^^^
Reply 8
Do history. You are more likely to do better if you are actually interested in the degree.
Reply 9
Do History. If you enjoy it, you'll be motivated to do well.
History! History! History!
There are better career opportunities for someone with a good history degree than a bad maths degree....if you're not that keen on maths at school you would hate it at uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending