The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've never really noticed how ''expensive'' London is, but then again I've lived here most of my life.
I lived in Manchester for a year and everything was so CHEAP!
Reply 61
Too expensive for me :yep:
anonymouz

4/ About clubs/restaurants, yes there is a varying price range. I am sure there are restaurants up north that cost as much, or even more than some down south. But its the quality etc. also varies. If you compare something of the same quality up north to something in London. Prices are much higher generally in London.

5/ H&M is an exception again.

We should keep in mind though, salaries/wages are higher in London too than up north - so it kinda works out. I can understand a northerner finding it expensive if he/she went to London for a weekend or short break. But if you live in London, it works out all the same in the end.

Yeah even the portions are different. At Nando's even though large chips are the same price, in central London the portion they give you is tiny, as opposed to the portions you can get further out of London.
Reply 63
I live well down south, to the extent I'm closer to Normandy than I am to London geographically, in a place called Torquay (look it up if you've never heard of it) but whenver I've gone to London I havn't noticed that much of a difference in prices. Of couse if you go into central touristy London you're going to pay more simply because of shops pricing at captive tourist audiences and all the highly paid professionals in that area.

But if you move away from the center or shop cleverly ie chain stores then you barely notice the difference, I have friends in Ealing who I've stayed with and my dad lives in Shoreditch and I barely notice the difference between Torquay and those areas of London in prices aside from rent.

The whole 'London is expensive' thing is just propagated by tourists who are shocked by how much a big city costs or those that live 'oop north' in run down cheap areas like West Yorkshire, as an aside if you want an expensive city try Oslo, Moscow or Tokyo, not London. Hell even NYC costs more or less the same to live in as does London.
Yeah i don't get why London being so expensive now and i hate it!!! i wish London wasn't expensive so people can buy stuff for cheap.
Reply 65
Quite clearly it's housing (it's like in the top 3 for most expensive cities I think).
Clubbing in London - and I mean places like Fabric - is 15GBP plus. Not that I frequent those places these days.

Clubbing in York - 3-5 GBP entry.

Rent is half of average London rent.
With the world's largest financial centre being based in London, it's no surprise that it is more expensive.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Everyone moans about how expensive it is - how? Obvs I've always lived here, so I don't get how we're more expensive?

Everything is in chains, right? Well shampoo costs the same in Boots all over the country - from London to some non-town like Northampton; right?

Um, everything in chains costs the same yar? So how is London more expensive? Petrol costs the same wherever you drive, admittedly congestion charge is bitchin but that's only Central.

Rent is more expensive, yus, but Westminster has the second lowest council tax in the country, and Westminster covers most of Central London (even the queen lives in Westminster).

So, I figure clubbing and restaurants is more expensive - how so? You can get grimy clubs here like Cheap$kates or Egg or something which aren't really 'pricey'. Pubs - I dunno, how much are normal drinks up North? Restaurants - most aren't really that expensive; there's loads of price ranges.

Clothes - well we have H&M and all that. There's market stalls and loads of places which aren't expensive tbh. We have as many Primarks as you do.

Public transport - okay, the Tube is kinda expensive but hey aren't we the only city with one? And you're free to catch a bus and with Oysters they're not bad. For a student it's pretty standard £1 a journey - not gonna break the bank tbh. Plus I went to my grandparents near a potato farm in the Midlands and it was much more expensive then £1 a way. I was shocked.

So wtf really is *so* much more expensive in London?

You ever buy a drink in Egg? $$$

Its things like travel, council tax and general cost of living that make london quite an expensive place to live. Do you pay rent in London?
bete noire
You ever buy a drink in Egg? $$$

Its things like travel, council tax and general cost of living that make london quite an expensive place to live. Do you pay rent in London?

LOL, no, I've never drunk at Egg.. :ninja:

And tbh, no, I still live with my family, so I know I don't have the best perspective on rent and living in London.
Bubbles*de*Milo
LOL, no, I've never drunk at Egg.. :ninja:

And tbh, no, I still live with my family, so I know I don't have the best perspective on rent and living in London.

Its costly stuff.
bete noire
Its costly stuff.

It just reminds me of a cheap, grimy, rubbish Fabric tbh, with really shady people.
I have always been in London and even visiting many places in England I don't think its that bad. Saying that, in some cities like stoke, all clubs and bars are free on early week days and even on fri/sat dont cost more than 3 or 5 quid and the drinks are cheap too.
Reply 73
La Esmerelda
Cinema prices in Leicester Square are extortionate, £13 each last time I checked. In the suburbs/outskirts of London its more reasonable. And elsewhere its probably cheaper.

If you go down the road to Shaftesbury Avenue, which is where Covent Gardens Cinema is even though it's far from Covent Gardens itself! The prices were reasonable- £6 each but £5 each with student ID.

I don't find that living in London is that much more expensive. Sure you DO spend more in London because there's more things available. In Devon, there's hardly any coffee shops or the million-multi chain shops so I'm not quite compelled to part with my money. But it's on every single street in London, I have no choice but to part with it! My rent is rather expensive also- around £110 a week. :eek: And its not even in a great area! :frown:
Reply 74
London is one the more expansive city in the world, this is clear, but the other city or town the England or Scottish how are expansive? For example which is the differences between the rent or universities taxes..

I hope that my english language is understandable for you

thank you for reply, Marco
Reply 75
i'd like to see london, but if it is expensive like u sed den hhmm might hav 2 think twice bout it
Ribbits
I live a cheap lifestyle. I never buy anything when I am out, no food and no drinks - because it's just too ridiculously expensive. I just eat from the weekly supermarket shop in the suburbs. I wouldn't even get a snack in Tescos in central London.
I get into clubs free, being a girl and getting there fairly early usually ensures free entry. Then once inside I don't drink, the prices are far too high. I just have tap water...
I also go to the cinema for free, thanks to a friend who somehow always hooks me up with free tickets. If I had to pay, I would almost never go. It's ridiculous, it costs £8-10 now - I seem to remember it was around £5 for adults just 10 years ago.

So, I don't spend much.. but I have really wanted to get food while I was out before, it's just not worth it. When I visit random other places outside London, it always seems much cheaper somehow. Taxis are a good example, anywhere in London is much more expensive than elsewhere.
With moderate traffic, on a Saturday:
4 mile journey, in Burley-in-Wharfedale/Otley, Ilkley = £6
4.8 mile journey, in Sudbury, Suffolk = £8
With no traffic, on a Saturday:
0.6 mile journey, in Croydon, London (zone 5!) = £7
The journey was literally 30 seconds long. :eek:

I don't normally get Taxis, obviously, being as cheap as I am. Those are the only 3 ocassions that I have. Never again in London, that's for sure.

You're so like me lol But I even haven't ever been to any clubs or pubs
Bubbles*de*Milo
It just reminds me of a cheap, grimy, rubbish Fabric tbh, with really shady people.

Yeah. Egg is crud. Especially in the winter, that ****** marquee makes it feel like a maze. It doesn't help being in the middle of nowhere either.

Rimpie
aw you live in nice areas! i love camden!

Well admittedly I'm hopping between council estates but you can't fault the surroundings..
rockrunride
Yeah. Egg is crud. Especially in the winter, that ****** marquee makes it feel like a maze. It doesn't help being in the middle of nowhere either.

:rofl:

I met the scariest ever group of guys outside Egg at like 7AM on a Sat morning when I was coming down and wanted to die. Honestly the crowd there is so iffy. It's right near to where my best friend used to live though (it's only a 10 minute walk to King's X station).

I've never been in winter, sounds grim.
Bubbles*de*Milo
:rofl:

I met the scariest ever group of guys outside Egg at like 7AM on a Sat morning when I was coming down and wanted to die. Honestly the crowd there is so iffy. It's right near to where my best friend used to live though (it's only a 10 minute walk to King's X station).

I've never been in winter, sounds grim.

The last time my friends were suggesting that we go to Egg I caught the 390 up there with them and before they could coerce me into coming in I had disappeared, lol. The last time I went in there though it was ghastly. Hour queue in like zero degrees and when I got in they started playing ******* Green Day in the main room!

Latest

Trending

Trending