St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Nice bloke.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
jgatt1991
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE thank youuuuuuuuuuu :biggrin: wat block are you in? :smile:

hehe im in block E tooo :biggrin: I was gonna recommend u 'the ultimate accommodation thread' cos it's got that awesome mini guide on AM.. but i see you already found it! Soo we're below entrance level it seems... I don't really understand that because I'm in room E225 which I guessed meant second floor, room 25 while you are on the ground floor, room 4... I guess all will become clear when we arrive eh :smile:
Reply 22
-C'est Moi-
hehe im in block E tooo :biggrin: I was gonna recommend u 'the ultimate accommodation thread' cos it's got that awesome mini guide on AM.. but i see you already found it! Soo we're below entrance level it seems... I don't really understand that because I'm in room E225 which I guessed meant second floor, room 25 while you are on the ground floor, room 4... I guess all will become clear when we arrive eh :smile:

EEEEEEEEEEE YES!!!!! it shall :P which is in 11 days... or wait... in 30 mins will be 10 days!!! aaaaaaaaaaah WELL excited!! :biggrin:
and darn it that means i'm RIGHT at the bottom hmph! i recon im in seclusion coz im weird xD hehe
i havent found ANYONE else on the ground floor yet... it SUCKS
there MUST be more than that... or they've given me the floor to myself... O_o if so...
PARTY ON MY FLOOR!!!!!! WOOOPA!!!!!!! :biggrin: hehe
In response to -C'est Moi-'s Wikipedia info about the layout of Andrew Melville Hall I can tell you it is very accurate. There is a small number of exceptions where the rooms are slightliy larger and the corridors aren't laid out in the same manner, but this is normally for the Warden and some Postgrads who help him thoughout the year.

Don't worry about staying in the basement because there isn't one. At least not one I know of. In general each room corresponds to one window if you look at a picture of AMH. There are rooms both to the front and to the back of the building.

In terms of blocks layout they are indeed vertical. If you look at a front picture of AMH block A will start at the front end of the left wing and then the several blocks will come in order until we get to block E which is the last one at the end of the right wing. There are some rooms which have more than one letter before them, but I don't know exactly how that works. I know some of them are bigger rooms like the one where the Warden stays more to the higher floors near the centre of the building. There is also a small number of rooms spread out across the main corridor. These rooms are alone with a bathroom for their "private" use.

Room numbers have nothing to do with the floor you stay in. From what I remember room A1 is at the outermost end of the bottom floor of block A. Numbers tend to grow upwards inside the block and then continue at the bottom of the following one. I know this is true for at least blocks A and E. A couple of years ago block E used to have only guys on the top floor and girls on the two floors below. I myself will be staying in E block.

In conslusion I just want to tell you not to worry too much about the place. From what I know it's one of the Uni Halls with the best social environments. It's true it doesn't look too nice but you will end up liking it. The rooms aren't that bad either. At least you get a sink in them. I lived in AMH before and last year stayed at DRA. This year I decided to come back to AMH. It's not that DRA isn't good. I actually loved my room at DRA... double bed, my own bathroom and shower, TV in the bedroom... But I didn't like cooking all the time. It's not as easy to meet people and I had to walk 20-25min when I came back from Tesco. AMH isn't as far out as it seems. 2 min walk to the sports centre. 5 min or less to the Science Departments and a bit more to other places. It's true that the meal times aren't always convenient especially the 6pm dinner for those who have sports at 17h or 18h. But things normally end up working out alright.

Oh... by the way, if you have facebook you can meet other fellow Melville residents at the following "AMH Freshers 2009" group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122178376591
-C'est Moi-

Hey, it appears I'll be in a room a couple down from you E221 XD
What are you studying? I'm a 2nd year English student, doing some Biology and Philosophy too
jgatt1991
EEEEEEEEEEE YES!!!!! it shall :P which is in 11 days... or wait... in 30 mins will be 10 days!!! aaaaaaaaaaah WELL excited!! :biggrin:
and darn it that means i'm RIGHT at the bottom hmph! i recon im in seclusion coz im weird xD hehe
i havent found ANYONE else on the ground floor yet... it SUCKS
there MUST be more than that... or they've given me the floor to myself... O_o if so...
PARTY ON MY FLOOR!!!!!! WOOOPA!!!!!!! :biggrin: hehe

AAAAAH I know only 5 days now :shock: don’t know where all the time is going! Tbh it still doesn’t feel real to me..don’t think it will till I actually arrive!! Haha that would be well funny if they read ur form and were like uh-oh she needs isolation.. But they’ll obviously be loadsa people round u and I’ll defo come see you- PARTY sounds gooood to me :cheers: (hahaha just discovered all the simlies!!) See you sooon!

Now I’m afraid I don’t know how to quote more than one person but thanks so much for the info Rui_Principe! I’m disappointed my theory about room numbers was incorrect :P lol. But at least we can actually visualise where we are in the picture now :smile: And seriously I’m loving this AM enthusiasm, I was worried everyone there just wanted to be somewhere else! But it sounds good to me and I reckon we need to be strong because I’ve heard AM gets a lot of stick form other halls because of the architecture.. is that true?

And hey Autumn_Breeze, that’s cool :smile: - I didn’t realise we’d be mixed in with second years too, did you live in AM last year? I’m studying French and International Relations, and also hopefully history as my third subject.(I haven't applied for my modules yet :s-smilie:) Tell me, do most second year students carry on with 2 subjects? Oh and also… is there anything you’re so glad you brought or that you forgot to bring that you suggest I should bring? :P lol packing is so hard!
What you thought about people wanting to be somewhere else is true for most new students. It was true for me when I first went there. I was hoping to be put in one of the nicer looking/older halls of residence and was quite unhappy to be put in AMH. After a couple of months though I was already used to it and the people were so nice that I really started liking living there. This happened with many of my friends which ended up returning to AMH. Most people from other halls say "bad" things about it because it has an ugly look and it looks like a boat. It is true that it isn't the nicest hall, but the rooms are ok and I think in the end you will think it is good enough for you first year. Next year you can either apply to a nicer hall (like I am thinking of doing), or go into a private flat/house.

In terms of mixing 2nd years with other people the fact is that you get mixed with people from all courses and years. Though it is true that some areas are mostly first years and I knew of a full corridor which only had older people a couple of years ago. Most people will still be freshers since older students tend to go to private accommodation in later years.

I am sorry but I can't really help with the subjects question because I am studying Physics. Although I am going to the 2nd year my course is different. I have 2 modules in the 1st semester and 2 in the second. 2 of them are Maths modules and the other 2 are Physics modules.

One of the high points of the year are usually the fire drills. I don't know if the Warden is still the same, but we had quite a few when I was there and all of them at 3-4am (twice under the rain). Also, there tend to be some false alarms due to people not closing the kitchen doors while cooking, or trying to light candles in their rooms, etc...
Oh well yeh i won't pretend I didn't want to be in one of the as you say 'nicer looking/older' halls!... but I've heard that AMH has got a great atmosphere and at the end of the day that's what matters most :biggrin: And I think it could have been worse in terms of location etc so I'm not gonna be ungrateful!... though this fire drill business is not what you'd call appealing, u were being sarcastic with the 'high points' statement, right..? And how many is 'quite a few'!?!

Btw do you know how much wardrobe/drawers space there is? I don't know how much I can bring!! And what are the hall colours, do u know? Thanks :smile:
Yes! The atmosphere at AMH is very good, although it always depends on the people staying there that year. In terms of location it is also good. I don't know what you are studying, but I am doing Physics and it takes 5 min or less to get there. It isn't too far out of the town center either.

I was obviously being sarcastic about the fire drills being a 'high point'. It is funny the first couple of times and people have a laugh, but after that it starts being annoying. Don't worry because it isn't that often. From what I know they only need to do it once every semester, but people were too slow and they didn't get everyone out in time. We ended up having to do it several times. Always with an interval of 1 to 2 weeks. The last time we did it the Warden was so fed up with it all he let us go inside and when we just got to our rooms the alarm rang again. Everyone got out quite fast. The problem is the false alarms due to smoke of some kind. Once we spent 10-15 min under rain waiting for the firemen to come and check everything. Not funny at all... Last year in DRA there were only two.

Regarding the hall colours I have been trying to find them out with no luck yet. I don't remember them. Regarding the wardrobe/drawers I have sent you a PM.
Reply 29
Rui_Principe
Yes! The atmosphere at AMH is very good, although it always depends on the people staying there that year. In terms of location it is also good. I don't know what you are studying, but I am doing Physics and it takes 5 min or less to get there. It isn't too far out of the town center either.

I was obviously being sarcastic about the fire drills being a 'high point'. It is funny the first couple of times and people have a laugh, but after that it starts being annoying. Don't worry because it isn't that often. From what I know they only need to do it once every semester, but people were too slow and they didn't get everyone out in time. We ended up having to do it several times. Always with an interval of 1 to 2 weeks. The last time we did it the Warden was so fed up with it all he let us go inside and when we just got to our rooms the alarm rang again. Everyone got out quite fast. The problem is the false alarms due to smoke of some kind. Once we spent 10-15 min under rain waiting for the firemen to come and check everything. Not funny at all... Last year in DRA there were only two.

Regarding the hall colours I have been trying to find them out with no luck yet. I don't remember them. Regarding the wardrobe/drawers I have sent you a PM.

Hey I think I was talking to you yesterday on facebook ... on the Andrew Melville freshers group discussion board? We spoke about the storage company you used over the summer.

(Sorry if I am mistaken and it wasn't actually you! Feel free to ignore me if that is the case :P)
Yes, that was me... :smile:
Reply 31
jonz20
Ok, so I've got a place in Andrew Melville... after being as happy as anything at first, I can't help but feel slightly alarmed that most of the posts on TSR about AM aren't exactly... full of praise? Can anybody cheer me up?? lol Or is it really all that bad...!?
Thanks!

best thing: you get your own room.
Reply 32
Ok I was wrong.... Andrew Melville is the place to be!!
Reply 33
It's good, a view to the pond with swans :smile:
Reply 34
:O I dnt ave a view of the ponds :frown: i get leaves ^_^ still... AMH is well sexy :wink: hehe
Reply 35
My lovely St. Regs view is of scaffolding.
Reply 36
Oxy
My lovely St. Regs view is of scaffolding.

LOL awwwwwwh xD
still for me its reassuring that people can walk out of a clearing beside my room O_O Lol! that weirded me out the first time i saw it i was like WTF?!! lolol
how is Regs?
ppl in AMH are rele nice xD
Reply 37
Does anyone know what time dinner is supposed to be in AM? I think I read somewhere that it is 6:45 but just wanted to check. Thanks
Reply 38
andi2036
Does anyone know what time dinner is supposed to be in AM? I think I read somewhere that it is 6:45 but just wanted to check. Thanks

6.00 I believe
Reply 39
I requested a packed lunch today for 2.30, and it said on the request slip to collect it from the kitchen ... but the canteen door is locked and the staff inside just ignored me. Have I got the wrong kitchen or something? :s-smilie:
So now I have no lunch :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending