The Student Room Group

A2 decisions

I have two decisions to make by October, but I'm not sure what to do. I did AS Maths with Mechanics on the Edexcel board and got an A, but I have to move to a different college and they're literally offering me anything I want. They're saying I can choose from Edexcel, OCR or AQA for my A2 and do M2, S1 or D1. The tutors at this college are saying although it's easier to pass with Edexcel (i.e. get an E), it's easier to get an A on OCR (the exam board they teach). I also think it would be easier to do S1 or D1 rather than continue with Mechanics into my second year, but I don't really know how I'd cope with S1 or D1 since I've never really done much of that kind of work. They've said I can sit in on classes to see what the work is like, but to be honest I'd rather just be concentrating on my grades this year.

Grateful for any opinions.
Reply 1
I'm not sure about this, but will your modules be passed over to the new board if you choose to go with a different one?
Reply 2
mcp2
I'm not sure about this, but will your modules be passed over to the new board if you choose to go with a different one?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I was under the impression that I'd get a full A-level at the end of it whichever exam board I decide to go with. I was also told I could resit my AS units if I wanted to, but only with Edexcel papers.
Reply 3
Imo, you should do M2. Stats and Decision units from what I can gather aren't looked on as favourably as Mechanics or Pure. Yes M2 is a bit harder, but really only in a different way. The hardest thing I found on them [I did CCEA] was differential equations, basically because I did M2 before I did C3 or C4 work at all. But don't worry, the actual content is quite nice and different - I did circular motion, differential equations, work and power, acceleration as functions of displacement and velocity etc. Try getting your hands on a text book for S1 D1 and M2 and having a look. But its your choice - do what you will be happy doing.
Reply 4
Do M2. It is harder, but S1 and D1 are soooo boring!
Reply 5
My old Maths tutors said I should do S1 since I don't need it or Mechanics for what I want to do at university and I'll apparently walk through it. This sound like a good idea?
Reply 6
Do Edexcel.

Latest