The Student Room Group

Engineering with a language

I'm contemplating studying an extra-curricular language in addition to doing Mechanical Engineering at uni.

I was just wondering if it's possible or if it would be too much work.

A was also wondering which language to do? The aim in to work in motorsport, so I'm thinking German, but I'm quite interested in learning Italian. I got an A in GCSE French but I don't really want to take that further.

Thank you :smile:
At Cambridge it's encouraged, so it almost certainly wouldn't be too much work if you manage your time.
Reply 2
Lehane
I'm contemplating studying an extra-curricular language in addition to doing Mechanical Engineering at uni.

I was just wondering if it's possible or if it would be too much work.

A was also wondering which language to do? The aim in to work in motorsport, so I'm thinking German, but I'm quite interested in learning Italian. I got an A in GCSE French but I don't really want to take that further.

Thank you :smile:

Hey, I'm not doing Engineering, but as a linguist I thought I'd add my 2p :smile:
So I had a quick look at your uni website, and as I thought, they have a Language Center, with which you could learn a language.

Since you're thinking in terms of usefulness of the language, I don't think Spanish would be that useful for your degree, I can't think of any obvious link with motorsport, apart from the races. French could have been useful if you were interested in cars, but it doesn't seem to be the case, so maybe not. However, we do have quite a lot of structures that could hire you when you graduate (Alstom, Airbus, but that may also concern other kind of Engineering, I don't know). There's German left, there again, I don't really see the link, but if there's one, why not.

German will be easier for you at the beginning, because it's related to English, so learning the vocabulary will be a lot easier. The grammar is pretty logical, however, it seems to get harder once you get to A-Level/Post A-Level standards. Spanish and French are related, if you know one, you'll understand the other one a bit, and same for Italian. They don't work the same way as English, though, so you'd have to make a little bit more efforts at the beginning, but they're languages that get easier. If they seem a bit useless at the moment, because of the job you'd like to get, just think of what they could bring you in term of cultures. I don't know how interested you are in literature or travelling around the world, but French is spoken on every continent, and often in really nice countries, as well as it's used quite a lot within the EU for political stuff.

If your heart is set on Italian, then you might as well go for it. They have great motorbikes (haha), and the language is really lovely. It's pretty easy as well, so it wouldn't require as much efforts as Russian or something like that. Don't think too much in terms of employability, if you can speak another language than English, it's already a great thing, and if you go for a language you think will be useful, but that you don't fully enjoy, you may not provide as much efforts as you should. Sorry for the essay, I hope it helped a bit!
Reply 3
Thank you! That was really helpful!

The link with German is that Mercedes, BMW, etc are all German, but motor racing is based in the UK generally, unless I wanted to aim to work for Ferrari, hence the Italian! It also seems like a beautiful language and I think I'd enjoy learning it.

I did German for three years (7-9) at school but it definately seemed to get harder, and I don't like the fact that some words are 50 letters long :tongue:

I enjoyed learning French but I think the GCSE environment put me off, having said that I'm glad I did it and I think I could remember enough to get by, but I'm not really bothered about taking it further.

I think I'll go for it, and if it doesn't work out I'll know the basics of another language at least!
Reply 4
Lehane
Thank you! That was really helpful!

The link with German is that Mercedes, BMW, etc are all German, but motor racing is based in the UK generally, unless I wanted to aim to work for Ferrari, hence the Italian! It also seems like a beautiful language and I think I'd enjoy learning it.

I did German for three years (7-9) at school but it definitely seemed to get harder, and I don't like the fact that some words are 50 letters long :tongue:

I enjoyed learning French but I think the GCSE environment put me off, having said that I'm glad I did it and I think I could remember enough to get by, but I'm not really bothered about taking it further.

I think I'll go for it, and if it doesn't work out I'll know the basics of another language at least!

Oh god, I got confused with motorbikes and cars, my bad :facepalm:
Go for Italian, tbh, if you really need to learn another language after that, you'll know how it works and it'll be easier :smile:
Reply 5
Anatheme
Oh god, I got confused with motorbikes and cars, my bad :facepalm:
Go for Italian, tbh, if you really need to learn another language after that, you'll know how it works and it'll be easier :smile:

They have nice bikes too! Hehe, thanks again!
Reply 6
I would like to learn german while taking engineering (chemical) at uni too.
I was wondering if i could put in my personal statement that i would be willing to learn a language on the side, but would they make me do proper exams or could i learn it more casually?

(Got a B in GCSE German btw, and did double german in year 9)
Reply 7
ojpowermake
I would like to learn german while taking engineering (chemical) at uni too.
I was wondering if i could put in my personal statement that i would be willing to learn a language on the side, but would they make me do proper exams or could i learn it more casually?

(Got a B in GCSE German btw, and did double german in year 9)

I don't think it would add anything to your PS, tbh, given you're not doing it at A-Levels/it's not something that strange. However, if you take it with a language center, unless it counts for some credits, the exams you will have won't have any influence on your degree classification, you just pass the exams or not. I don't think you can do it "casually", unless you do it by yourself, because languages require to be constantly learnt, if you leave them for a week or two, you'll have to redo the work again, unfortunately.

Latest